Author Topic: Cullina (sp) near Killorglin  (Read 2595 times)

Offline sue 123

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cullina (sp) near Killorglin
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 February 17 20:17 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure that is Bartholomews's parent wedding cert above as on his own wedding cert in Liverpool he refers to his father as Barclay ( aka Bartholomew Sheehan) so the dates & place seem to fit.

It appears that the spelling varies on Killina/Cullinagh/Cullina which I can understand. Now I need to see if I can get further back on Bartholomew's line!! exciting!   

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 25 February 17 00:42 GMT (UK) »
If you go to the askaboutireland.ie website and go to the namebooks section, searching for Cullinagh, it may provide you with a very rough idea of how the land in the townland was used.

From experience, I can say that the index for Killorglin RC Parish is missing huge chunks roughly in the middle.  One of my G grandmothers born in 1870  doesn't have a baptism record, nor do any of her many siblings.  Another's parents had children over a period of 20 years or more, only the last born about 1882, has one.

With this in mind, it may be sort of difficult to work out if anybody stayed.  The earlier records, oddly seem more fruitful, but, once again, I can say are still very patchy.  I was able to locate one of my ancestors born in 1813, his parents' marriage, and several siblings, but not several others born close to that time.

It is a bit frustrating because all it is is an index.  You can't see the images and get a sense of how intact the pages were or a possibly more accurate reading in an entry in which you may be especially interested. 

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 25 February 17 16:31 GMT (UK) »
I got so caught up with were the townland was I forgot about the original question.
This site gives you an idea of what farm life would have been like.
You can just put in Cullinagh with out a name or farm size although it is better if you have them, still it gives you an idea of how hard life would have been.
http://www.townlandvaluationtranslator.com/p/how-they-farmed.html

Offline fedupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 May 17 10:27 BST (UK) »
Hi, have you looked at the griffiths primary valuation of tenements,  parish of knockane, circa 1854 ? There is a john sheehan renting two parcels of land at culleanagh  upper ,could be related ?  Have you also looked at the tithe appotment books, circa 1832-6 , well worth looking at this . Culleanagh said as cull in a , an cuilleanach uachtarach -the plain of the hollies .for an info on the area ,check out beaufort parish website (newer one ) look in particular for articles written by peter coghlan .       
Fleming,o'connor/connor
Morgan,lewis,freeman,
Glithero

Offline fedupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 May 17 12:09 BST (UK) »
If they left the area circa 1850's ,probably because of the great hunger (famine) many left the land, emigrated or moved into the local towns. There are Some records at killarney library ,though your best bet would be the county archives in Tralee. If you are thinking of researching the O'connors/ connor in this area then the best of luck to you . They came to the area from N.west kerry and further up . If you are able to pinpoint a particular farm then the valuation office in dublin may be of help to you .if you find that some moved into killarney ,than try kdml. (Killarney down memory lane ) on facebook.
Fleming,o'connor/connor
Morgan,lewis,freeman,
Glithero