Author Topic: Marriages in England but births in Wales  (Read 1313 times)

Offline MaryThorn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriages in England but births in Wales
« on: Friday 24 February 17 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

Not used the Wales board before.  I've recently discovered ancestors from Flintshire area and so my research takes me to looking at records in the Hawarden, Pentrobin, Buckley area.

I'm researching relatives of my 3 X Great Grandfather John Shone born 1821.  In researching his siblings I seem To have uncovered a few possibilities in terms of marriages, however these marriages appear to have taken place over the border in Chester.

I'm not sure if these are the correct records as subsequent children appear to have been born in Wales.  Is it likely that couples would have headed over the border and what was the benefits in doing this?

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Marriages in England but births in Wales
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 February 17 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Were any of the spouses from Cheshire?

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/chester.html
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 February 17 23:23 GMT (UK) »
The places you mention are no more than about five miles at most from the border so it would not be unusual to marry in England yet afterwards live in Wales.I have many such families in my own Tree.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaryThorn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 February 17 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, in my confusion I didn't make my post very clear.  The marriages I've come across are for couples living in Flintshire prior to marriage, marrying in Cheshire and then registering subsequent children's births back in Flintshire.

I couldn't understand why in the 19th century couples would be doing this, unless it's not the correct couples.  Hailing from Northumberland I'm conscious that for a lot of English couples there were benefits to marrying over the border in Scotland.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 February 17 08:51 GMT (UK) »
I have quite a few ancestors living in south east Denbighshire border villages who married in  Shropshire. This occured for various reasons e.g. the English parish church was closer than their own parish church; they were non-conformists and the nearest Reg Office was there; the bride was pregnant and didn't want locals to know; etc.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 February 17 18:17 GMT (UK) »
My Ancestors are from the same areas as yours (Hawarden, Pentrobin, Buckley etc).  Many of them married in Chester, but ended up living and having their children back in Wales.  I am not sure why they popped over the border to get married, but it certainly wasn't unusual.  When searching for my family records, I always check the Cheshire marriage collections as well as the Flintshire ones.  (FindMyPast has images of Cheshire and Flintshire parish records).

Also - for that area, some of the census records will fall under Cheshire/England... even though the family is living in Wales.     

RK

Offline Raybistre

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 February 17 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Hawarden was originally in the registration district of Great Boughton which mostly covers the greater Chester area until 1869. Another point is that if the marriage did not take place in the parish Church it would likely be at the Superintendant Registrar's in Chester at this period.
Chester would also have been a place where many young women would have gone to live and work from Flintshire until the advent of commuting so it would make sense for them to be married there.
Ray

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 February 17 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Maybe Chester was more scenic for the wedding photos  :D
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline MaryThorn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 March 17 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies.  At least I know it's not unusual and that they probably are the right ancestors that I'm looking at.

Not sure if it's more scenic 😜 Not been down that way before, maybe an ancestoral road trip is needed.