Author Topic: Victims of Political Terror in the USSR  (Read 1431 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Victims of Political Terror in the USSR
« on: Saturday 25 February 17 13:36 GMT (UK) »
This is an alphabetical list of names of people arrested on political charges by State Security and sentenced to death, imprisonment in camps, prisons or in exile.

The database was compiled from regional "Memory Books", as well as other sources, and serves to preserve the memory of the victims and to help people reconstruct the history of their families.

It mainly covers the period 1930 to 1953 and not all repressed from all areas are included. It is a work in progress.

Information about each person is brief and varies, but may include details such as:
name, year of birth, schooling, where lived, when arrested, offence, sentence, penalty (eg shot), where buried, when rehabilitated, source of information (usually a Memory Book from a specific region).

http://lists.memo.ru/index1.htm

I hope you find your missing family members included on the list. :)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Victims of Political Terror in the USSR
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 February 17 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Is there any similar information available on the earlier Tsarist Pogroms of the 19th and early 20th centuries please?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 February 17 01:09 GMT (UK) »
Sorry RR, but I don't know the answer to that.

There are some slightly earlier records in the database (I think I remember a couple from the 1920s) so it might be worth you checking your names.

The memory books must have been kept up to date - many were rehabilitated in the 1950s/60s, and I saw a couple from the 1980s.

If this kind of database is something which is being undertaken, and if earlier records survive you might expect them to eventually be transcribed and put online. I believe this database  originally came in CD form.

I've got part way through one of my family names and discovered there are duplicates, which I was not aware of when I posted this.

I will see if I can find out if there is something similar for earlier years. :)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this. My interest is in the antecedents of a late friend whose ancestors supposedly came from the Baltic territories pre 1900
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)