Author Topic: Mary Pope Born January 1809 Coldridge John Hunt B 1791  (Read 3634 times)

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Pope Born January 1809 Coldridge John Hunt B 1791
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Its possible John Hunt and Sarah went to Canada before 1850 as daughter Grace is with her grandparents in 1841 Census as well
Moor End Brushford Devon
Thomas Pope 55, farmer
Grace 55
Thomas 20
Samuel 15
Grace Hunt 7**
John Smale ? 7

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 22:34 GMT (UK) »
1851 Census Dorchester Canada
John Hunt 56 blacksmith (his age is off a little)
Mary 46
Thomas 16
Robert 11
Elizabeth 9
Henry 6
Sarah 7
Hannah 3
Mary Jane 2 months born Canada
all others born England, religion Episcopalian
1861 Dorchester Canada
John Hunt 70
Mary 50
Robert 18
Henry 16
Fanny 13 (Hannah in 1861)
Mary Jane 11 born Canada
1871 Dorchester Canada
John 80
Mary 58
Henry 26
Mary Jane 20

If you follow Mary Jane she married Jacob Dickie 27 November 1872 parents John and Mary Hunt at the Wesleyan Methodist Church Dorchester Ontario
She died 13 May 1934 age 83 her death certificate says her parents are John Hunt born England and Mary maiden name Pope born England.

So they left England between 1847 Hannah born England and 1851 when Mary Jane born Canada
was born, with the children of his previous marriage, leaving Grace behind with her grandparents

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 03 March 17 15:23 GMT (UK) »
The 1841 Census at Moor End fits very well.  Thomas' daughter Ann Pope 1811-1879 married a John Smale 1803-1879 in 1832 at Exeter All Hallows Goldsmith St. Devon and had a son John Penwarden Smale born 1834

The Canada census documents have crossed my path before and the fact that John Hunt was a blacksmith or farmer was a bit confusing.  Also the name difference for Fanny/Hannah was an issue.  Certainly likely John could have done blacksmithing and farmed and census taker simply chose what to use or he retired from smithing.  I have not found an occupation in any documents from England.

The Canada census documents you reference will need further examination. 

I have found some info that has a family with a Mary Jane Hunt and a John Hunt that has many similarities to Mary Pope and John Hunt but have not seen a document that shows a middle name for 2nd great aunt Mary Pope b1809 Coldridge

I had found the marriage of Mary Jane to Jacob Dickey/Dickie and have visited the cemetery.  Very nice granite marker for Mary Jane and Jacob and their son Frederick 1873-1956 and his spouse Agnes Perratt Born about 1884 in Glasgow, Scotland
Dunbar, Clark,Bain, Lipp, Campbell, Pope, Barnard, Handcock, McAdams,Creath

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 19:58 BST (UK) »
Some recent added information.

It appears that some of her children went to Michigan as well as other parts of Canada.  That might explain why we cannot find a burial or death for Mary Pope.  We know her husband, John Hunt, passed in North Dorchester, Middlesex county but she is not buried here in any cemetery we have been able to check.   No death record either.

By 1870 US Census  her son, Thomas Hunt, was in Manistee Michigan USA

Son Robert passed in St Clair, Michigan, United States  in 1922 but cannot find an arrival

Others went to Western Canada and one daughter, Sarah, born about 1845 may have gone to Iowa based on some online trees but that is unconfirmed with documents.

One tree suggests she passed in Michigan.

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 01 September 18 17:07 BST (UK) »
I have also been trying to find the first marriage for John Hunt.

He is listed as a widower when he married Mary Pope. 

Have found some earlier marriages of a John Hunt in Devon but nothing definitive.  Ruled out some because he signs with an X   but on the document for the marriage to Mary Pope he has a very clear signature.  Would he have learned to write after leaving school?

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Further research finds a marriage of a John Hunt to a Frances Down 06 Feb 1832 in Winkleigh,Devon,England.  Winkleigh is an area known to the Pope family as some lived there at various points.

Both John Hunt and Frances Down sign with a mark.  John seems to have signed on the marriage document for Mary Pope. Given that John married Mary Pope in 1832 it seems unlikely this is the same John Hunt unless Frances passed soon after the marriage.  I find no death record that might support that.

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 09 June 19 17:13 BST (UK) »
An added mystery.

In following a unrelated branch I find a marriage of a William Hunt, born about 1836-37 in England  to a Dorothy Young born about 1843 (Canada or England depending on record)

They married in North Dorchester, Middlesex, Ontario 24 Nov 1869.  Parents listed as John and Mary Hunt.

1871 Canada Census seems to have William and Dorothy farming with a Robert and Margaret Hunt in North Dorchester.   Robert and Margaret have a son William and that seems to match Robert Hunt, son of Mary Pope and John hunt in title of search.  Robert's wife Margaret was Margaret Young 1846-1922 sister of Dorothy Young born about 1843 so families were connected.  Also seems common that brothers from one family married sisters from another family.

Have I missed a son William born England 1836-37?  I have a sibling born about 1836 and then a gap to 1841.

Have been unable to find a death to confirm parents of William are John Hunt and Mary Pope or a birth or baptism in England that fits

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 15:51 BST (UK) »

Have I missed a son William born England 1836-37?  I have a sibling born about 1836 and then a gap to 1841.

You haven't specified names, but was this their last child in England?

Anne Hunt, mother's maiden name Pope, Dec qtr 1837 Torrington 10 236
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Hope everyone safe.

In digging deeper I recently found an image of the 1941 England Census.  This shows John Hunt and second wife Mary Pope.  John and Mary are at bottom of page and family on next.  The children names match some of those from first marriage and John and Mary Pope's children. He is listed as a blacksmith as we knew.

By 1851/52 census  they are in Canada

The one thing that stood out on the 1841 census was a child named Samuel age 2.  Clearly marked male on document.  Am I reading the name correctly? See attached.

I don't find him in 1851/52 Canada census and I have been unable to find a death ( or a birth/ baptism / christening for that matter)