Author Topic: Newbury St Nicholas Baptisms - 1802-1812 - Norris family  (Read 1844 times)

Offline hatofthecat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Newbury St Nicholas Baptisms - 1802-1812 - Norris family
« on: Saturday 25 February 17 16:48 GMT (UK) »
A reply a few days ago to my other request re. Toomer's 1815 census of Newbury has thrown up a stack of siblings I didn't have before but the baptisms for Newbury for this period are not on the BFHS Baptisms CD and I can't find online anywhere  ::)  Looks like a trip to Reading or Newbury library unless someone has a copy of the transcriptions ?? (I know they are available at Berks record office and also a copy at Newbury library)

The children are: ages as given in 1815, parents are William Norris & Sarah (nee Hopgood) who married in Newbury in July 1801.  William a breeches maker & glover by trade.

William Norris aged 13
James Norris aged 12
Henry Norris aged 9                   
George Norris aged 6
Mary Norris aged 5
Elizabeth Norris aged 3

There may also be Charles Norris born about 1825 as he turns up on 1851 census with same trade as these children's father.  Would be interesting to know who his father was as on 1841 census his is just listed with his mother Hannah, a glover, and several siblings including a sister Mary Ann who is living with Charles & his wife on the 1851 census.

I think there may be one, possibly two, other William Norris born 1799-1802 in Newbury as there's one a carpenter living St Marys Hill on 1851 census and another at Boxford an Ag Lab.

I think the sons Henry & James may have died in 1834 & 1836 respectively, as there are burials then that seem to fit with their likely birth years.

Any assistance gratefully received.
Norris / Andover, Poplar, Canning Town, Stratford
Hughes, Cooper, New  / Berkshire
Waugh, Lisle, Davison, Mole, Luke, Dodd / Northumberland
Walton / Cumberland, County Durham, Northumberland
Littlefair / County Durham, Northumberland
Morcumb, Pedler, Warne, Whitford, Arthur, Warmington, Sleap, Docton,Couche / Cornwall
Ross / Middlesex, Hertfordshire
Southgate / Essex
Tarrant/Hampshire

Offline KN

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright from www.nation
    • View Profile
Re: Newbury St Nicholas Baptisms - 1802-1812 - Norris family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 18:14 GMT (UK) »
May or may not be of any significance!

21 March 1812 Ann NORRIS of Speenhamland died, aged 85, 11 Mar and was buried in Speen Churchyard. 

from the Newbury Upper Meeting House, Presbyterian Church, published by the Eureka Partnership. 

KN
Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Weaving, Drewe, Lay, Daly, Walker - Berkshire & Oxfordshire
Wood - Worcester, Hampshire, Wiltshire
Stone - Barnwood, Gloucestershire

All census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hatofthecat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking KN but I'm pretty sure she's not one of mine. I suspect she was part of the Norris family that seem centred around Speen and Boxford and predate my "Johnny come lately" Norris family who arrived from Andover about 1800 bearing their breeches (these are cousins of my direct line who were carpenters and had skipped off from Andover also in 1780s to Poplar to knock up vast tracts of iffy houses).
Morcumb, Pedler, Warne, Whitford, Arthur, Warmington, Sleap, Docton,Couche / Cornwall
Southgate / Essex
Tarrant/Hampshire

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Nanny and Grandad married in 1921
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 March 17 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The following records are from the parish registers of St Nicolas Church Newbury

Baptisms for children of William & Sarah Norris between 1799-1811:

William born 9th April 1802 baptised 9th May 1802

James born 5th May 1803 baptised 5th June 1803

Henry born 1st November 1805 baptised 16th February 1806

George born 20th September 1807 baptised 31st January 1808

Mary born 31st January 1809 baptised 30th July 1809

did not find one for Elizabeth though

Other baptisms between 1799-1811 for Norris children:

Eliza daughter of Thomas & Hannah Norris born 30th January 1802 baptised 4th March 1802

Harriet daughter of Thomas & Hannah Norris born 8th August 1809 baptised 30th August 1809

Elizabeth daughter of John & Sarah Norris born 28th December 1810 baptised 27th January 1811

Norris Baptisms 1812-1840:

28th August 1814 William s of John & Sarah Norris of Bartholomew Street (father's occ: Lab)

3rd Sept 1820 Mary d of John & Ann Norris of Newbury (father's occ: Lab)

(in 1819 (6th April) a John Norris (wid) married an Ann Brown (wid) (who was a temporary resident of the parish) so this might have been the same father of the above 2 baptisms.

16th Feb 1823 Mary d of James and Jane Norris of Newbury (father's occ: Carpenter)

26th August 1825 Charles s of James & Hannah Norris of Newbury (father's occ: Lab) The one you mention from the census living with mother Hannah???

2nd March 1828 Sarah d of James & Hannah Norris of Newbury (father's occ: Lab)

30th Sept 1828 Martha illegitimate d of Francis Norris & Esther Cook of Newbury (father's occ: Bricklayer)

30th May 1830 James s of James & Hannah Norris of Newbury (father's occ: Lab)

24th February 1833 George s of James & Hannah Norris of Newbury (father's occ: Lab)

12th June 1836 Mary d of James & Hannah Norris of Newbury (father's occ: Lab) sister of Charles living with him in 1851???

Hope this helps

Chris

Offline hatofthecat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 March 17 16:38 GMT (UK) »
"Hope this helps" way more than helpful candrjm  8)

Those exact dates tie up nicely with ages recorded on burials at St Nicolas in 1830s for James, Henry & George so I can confidently "tuck them in" as it were.  Pity no baptism found for Elizabeth, she died in 1869 a spinster with her estate left to her sister Mary.  I will have to make a trip to Newtown Road cemetery in Newbury as both the sisters are buried there.

All those baptisms for the children of James & Hannah Norris are definitely mine as well and this is indeed the family I found on census with the by then widowed Hannah, so good to have all those too  :)

The extra Norris family seem to have been in Newbury before this cousin's branch of mine arrived there from Andover and I haven't found any connections to them  ::)   There are other Norris clumps around Fordingbridge, Hants. and Mere, Wilts. any connections with remain a mystery  :-\

I've splashed out on a copy of the 1815 Toomer's Newbury census CD now.  Almost worth it just for the original map it contains.

thanks again, Pete
Southgate / Essex
Tarrant/Hampshire

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 March 17 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pete,

You might be able to find a baptism for Elizabeth Norris in the records held at the Berkshire Records Office. The baptism records held at Newbury library seem to stop c1811 and then start again in 1813 and as she is recorded in the Toomers census as aged 3 in 1815 she falls between those dates that are missing in the records held in Newbury.

Chris

Offline hatofthecat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 March 17 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the extra detail Chris, I'd add that lookup to my "to do" list for next visit to Berks. archives.

Elizabeth is proving elusive in later life too.  I've found her on 1841 census as a housemaid in household of solicitor Henry Godwin in Newbury but can't track her down on the 1851 or 1861 censuses and nothing until her death as a spinster in 1869 in Lambourn which is definitely her as probate was granted to her sister Mary.
Southgate / Essex
Tarrant/Hampshire

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 March 17 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pete,

Monumental Inscriptions for Newtown Cemetery Newbury record:

IARO (in affectionate rememberance of) /Charles Norris/ born 15th August 1825/ died 6th May 1888/ Also of Mary Norris/ born 17th May 1820/ died 27th February 1896/ "Thy Will Be Done"

Nothing for Elizabeth Norris though.

Chris

Offline hatofthecat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 March 17 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Chris

Many thanks for those  8)  Where on earth did you find these ???  I've been accessing the burials & memorials databases on the Friends of Newtown Road Cemetery web page but I can't see either in the memorials and 1888 & 1896 are within the lost burial records period of Oct 1884 to Oct 1899.

Mary was Charles' wife Mary Ann nee Pearce born in Ecchinswell so great to have a proper birth date for her as I only had her birth year estimated from censuses (not found a baptism).

Anyway that's another gravestone to find and photograph when I get round to a day trip down to Newbury  ;D

Pete
Southgate / Essex
Tarrant/Hampshire