Author Topic: Sampler by WVL Van Someren  (Read 7644 times)

Offline Gwaelodian

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sampler by WVL Van Someren
« on: Saturday 25 February 17 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi, everyone. I have a sampler made in 1903 by WVL Van Someren.  The text says, 'Thou God seest me', then his/ her name, followed by St Andrew's Cottage.  I have looked up the name as best I could and see there was a WVL Van Someren in the Royal Fusiliers who was heading a brigade aged 21. I don't know if it the same person, can look no further as I don't belong to the Forces sites. If anyone can shed light on this sampler, I would be most grateful. Thank you.  :)

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sampler by WVL Van Someren
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 February 17 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Possibly your man -

Lieutenant Colonel William Vernon Logan van Someren

JJ

Offline Gwaelodian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 February 17 17:27 GMT (UK) »
 ;D It would be good if it is him ... a DS medal as far as I can see. I was given the sampler some 30 years ago by an elderly lady. I am now wondering if it was a  sampler passed down by the family. Thanks. 

Offline Gwaelodian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 February 17 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the help in locating WVL Van Someren. In researching further, I note there is another Van Someren. One is referenced in the Campaign in Tirah (1897-1898). He is listed as a Lt Van Someren, leading the 36th Sikhs.  Interestingly, the one located for me by Roots Chat also led the 36th, but in this instance, the Royal Fusiliers. This Van Someren is referenced in a foot note on British Empire history as "The 9th Battalion had been commanded since July 3rd by a very remarkable officer. Lieut. -Colonel W. V. L. van Someren, D.S.O.,
M.C., was reading for the Bar when war broke out, and, joining the
Inns of Court O.T.C. in August, 1914, he went out to France with the
9th Royal Fusiliers as the junior subaltern. He was only twenty -one years of age when he took over the command of the battalion,  and must have been one of the youngest, if not actually the youngest, of commanding officers. He retained command of the unit until it was
disbanded in June, 1919, and was in charge of the 36th Brigade for the
two weeks'preceding the Armistice".

The sampler I have was made in 1903. I imagine military men only made these when they were convalescing. If anyone can find out more to help me understand if there are two separate men in my research or one. Also, which war would have been relevant in 1903? It would be so good to have actual birth and death dates. The sampler was given  to me by an elderly lady whose married name was Dorothy Spearman. And additional suggestions for research most welcomed! Thanks. :)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 February 17 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gwaelodian,

The relevant war to a 1903 sampler would have been the Boer War 1899-1902.

The Van Someren who was a Lt leading the 36th Sikhs & also involved in the Tirah Campaign that you mention was Lt William Weymouth Van Someren.

If you follow this link http://angloboerwar.com/name-search and select surname from the drop down box to search under & enter the surname Van Someren, you will get just the one result, this being the chap mentioned above. There is rather a lot of info about him there! ;D

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 February 17 16:22 GMT (UK) »
I'd love to see a photo of it if you don't mind posting one. I really like embroidery.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline Gwaelodian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 February 17 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Very excited!   ;D About to follow the link. Thank you!

Offline Gwaelodian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 February 17 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks David. As you say, a lot of information.  Exciting to read. Does this suggest that the second Van Someran, WVL was maybe a brother or other family member? I know Dorothy, the lady who gave me the sampler, was brought up in India ...she had an Ayah that she spoke of regularly.

I will photograph it and post it on the site asap.
Many thanks again.
N

Offline Gwaelodian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 February 17 17:07 GMT (UK) »
how do I upload a photo!