Author Topic: Baptism John Dobbins Born c 1760 or 1764 in Moy, County Tyrone  (Read 3619 times)

Offline KimberleyW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism John Dobbins Born c 1760 or 1764 in Moy, County Tyrone
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 24 February 22 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Heard back from the historical society, but this is the only information they could give me, which i'm fairly certain we already knew.

"We have a Rev James Dobbin , son of James Dobbin or Dobbyn, Armagh ordained at Aughmacart, Co Laois, in 1745 and then moved to Newtownards in 1757 and died 1782."

Kimberley
Bunn - Suffolk, Gray - Blyth/Northumberland, Harvey - Suffolk, Moore - Suffolk, Raynor - Suffolk, Vineyard - Suffolk, Algar - Suffolk, Cleveland - Suffolk, Mickleburgh - Norfolk/Suffolk, Jackson - Suffolk, Bennett - Suffolk, Bullen - Suffolk, Wakenshaw - Northumberland, Dobbins - Northumberland/Cumbria, Singleton - Cumbria, Woolnough - Suffolk, Casely - Northumberland, Walton - Cumbria, Gordon - Glasgow, Reid - Lanarkshire, Grant - Lanarkshire, Granger - Lanarkshire

Offline JonBoody

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism John Dobbins Born c 1760 or 1764 in Moy, County Tyrone
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 24 February 22 21:48 GMT (UK) »
So, to start, I think it's a bit early to say that John may forever remain a mystery. These sorts of mysteries often take some time to work out, possibly even years, depending on the accessibility of records. The Reverend James of Moy was the son of the Reverend James of Kilmore in Armagh. While most records of these people have been destroyed, enough remain to confidently create the brief sketch that I have already provided. There's no doubt about any of that. The Rev. James of Aughmacart does not appear to be closely related to the Moy Dobbins family - purely coincidental there. The problem, obviously, is making that connection with John of Moy/Whitehaven, understanding that there is still a possibility that John of Moy was not actually the son of Rev. James of Moy. I do believe this could be solved with a deeper study of the individuals in Ireland and England to see if/where their stories come together, or if some evidence comes up to exclude the connection to Rev. James.
McGreal, McLaughlin in Co. Leitrim, Ireland.
Turner, Webb, Wilson, Cooper, Gilbert, Nadin, Repton, all in the Burton-Upon-Trent vicinity.