Author Topic: Baptism John Dobbins Born c 1760 or 1764 in Moy, County Tyrone  (Read 3371 times)

Offline JonBoody

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism John Dobbins Born c 1760 or 1764 in Moy, County Tyrone
« Reply #9 on: Friday 14 August 20 15:44 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I realize I'm a bit late to this conversation. There was a fairly prominent and wealthy Dobbins family in Moy in the 1760s. The Rev. James Dobbins of Moy, married Elizabeth Vincent, and was the father of another Rev. James Dobbins, who was baptized in 1755. The senior James was a Justice in County Tyrone and was party to or witness to many land deeds, some of which can be searched here... https://irishdeedsindex.net/search/index.php  The senior James died in 1773. Your John Dobbins is almost certainly related to this family. If you are still researching this family I would be happy to provide more information.
McGreal, McLaughlin in Co. Leitrim, Ireland.
Turner, Webb, Wilson, Cooper, Gilbert, Nadin, Repton, all in the Burton-Upon-Trent vicinity.

Offline Cavanaghs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 14 August 20 17:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your message Jon! Yes, I would love any information you have about this family. I've actually made a speculative tree about a James Dobbins born in Whitehaven c 1784 in Whitehaven who is the possible son of a James and Sarah Dobbins. I suspected these people were potentially related to my Dobbins in some way.

Can you send me a PM? Looking forward to hearing form you!

GEDMatch Kit no. CE7119959

Maternal: Thirlwell, Dobbins, Stamp, Rochester, Laws, Nicholson, Cavanagh, Jessop, Clough/Cleugh, Charlton, Weightman, Swinhoe, Swainson, Purdie, Carney…
(Northumberland, Cumberland, Ireland)

Paternal: Gilmour, McGrath, Oram, Green(e), Hepplewhite, Graham, Bugbird, Hanley, Hutton, Bellott, Busfield, Blake, Bugbird, Dwyer...
(Ireland, County Durham, especially Hartlepool, Whitby, North Yorkshire, Middlesex, Surrey, ia)

Offline KimberleyW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 14 August 20 18:41 BST (UK) »
I would also LOVE some information about the Dobbins line if you have any, John has been my brick wall on the Dobbins line for many many years!
Bunn - Suffolk, Gray - Blyth/Northumberland, Harvey - Suffolk, Moore - Suffolk, Raynor - Suffolk, Vineyard - Suffolk, Algar - Suffolk, Cleveland - Suffolk, Mickleburgh - Norfolk/Suffolk, Jackson - Suffolk, Bennett - Suffolk, Bullen - Suffolk, Wakenshaw - Northumberland, Dobbins - Northumberland/Cumbria, Singleton - Cumbria, Woolnough - Suffolk, Casely - Northumberland, Walton - Cumbria, Gordon - Glasgow, Reid - Lanarkshire, Grant - Lanarkshire, Granger - Lanarkshire

Offline reddli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 04 February 22 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi all! I'm very late to this thread, but I've been researching my husband's family tree, including this John Dobbins, his 4xgg.

I've only just found the RCH pension record that confirms that he was in the 30th Foot (residence: Whitehaven), but now that I have, I'm eager to see what more I can learn about his service (beyond the general movements of the 30th Foot from 1780-1802) and his origins in county Tyrone.

I'm especially interested in the latter because I'm deep into county Tyrone research for my own family -- but on the other side of the county, on the border with county Donegal.

If there's been a firmer connection made to Rev. James Dobbins or other families, I'd super appreciate any pointers to documents. Please feel free to DM if that's preferred.

Thank you!

Offline reddli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 04 February 22 23:57 GMT (UK) »
As a postscript: the Registry of Deeds link has thrown up a tantalising tease! The Rev. James Dobbins' will, registered 19 May 1781, had three beneficiaries -- sons James and Richard and daughter Mary -- in addition to executor and widow Elizabeth née Vincent.

Our John Dobbins (1763-1835) of the 30th Foot called his first son Richard (bap 1793 at Whitehaven St Nicholas). And of course, in traditional Irish naming convention, the firstborn son was named after the father's father... Not proof of anything, but curious.

Offline JonBoody

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello reddli,

I am just getting back in to researching the Dobbins family after a bit of a hiatus, and I am wrapping up a fairly in-depth look at that family's ancestry, which I would be happy to pass along once it's complete. I have not looked into John and his connection to the Rev. James of Moy, although I still believe he is almost certainly a son of Rev. James Dobbins, Jr. I can also say with certainty that this James was the son of Rev. James Dobbins, Rector of Kilmore. As for the 1781 listing in the Registry of Deeds, that is actually a marriage settlement between Mary Dobbins, theoretical sister of John Dobbins, and her husband, William Daniel. The settlement references the will, which was dated December 2, 1773, and provides some limited detail on the provisions of the will, which I believe leaves the door open for children not named here. Specifically, while his estate was to be used initially for the support of his widow, Elizabeth, after her death the estate would revert to his children. From there it says "after devising certain Legacys therin Mentioned, did bequeath the residue of his portion to his said son Richard the said Mary and his son James Dobbins as therin mentioned". The "certain Legacys therin Mentioned" I believe refers to specific items or money intended for other children not named in this entry, with the remaining amounts (likely the majority of the estate) going to Richard, Mary and James.

There is still no definitive connection here though and you might have a bit of work ahead to make it happen, but it might not be impossible. Have you traced the lives of Richard, Mary and James Dobbins? Do any of them have any possible connections to John, perhaps references to John or his children in deeds or will abstracts?
McGreal, McLaughlin in Co. Leitrim, Ireland.
Turner, Webb, Wilson, Cooper, Gilbert, Nadin, Repton, all in the Burton-Upon-Trent vicinity.

Offline reddli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Dear JonBoody,

Thank you for all this. I'm inclined to think there's a connection, too, but I haven't yet done the research -- this past weekend, I honestly got sucked into understanding John Dobbins' service in the British Army, learning a great deal about the movements of the 30th Regiment of Foot between 1776 (when they were stationed at Charlemont, about half a mile from Moy) and his discharge at Winchester Barracks in 1802.

He was said to have enlisted in 1780, when the regiment was in the south, primarily in county Cork. So he either became besotted with the regiment when they were stationed nearby (along with hearing about the war in the American colonies?), or he enlisted earlier (perhaps as a drummer boy, as he would have been about 13 or 14). If he were related to the two Rev. James Dobbins in some way, I think it would be less likely for him to enlist at such a young age -- but I'll need to do more research to see if this hypothesis is historically accurate!

In any case, this John Dobbins married in Whitehaven, while the 30th Foot were there, and returned to Whitehaven after serving in Egypt. He was either injured on 21 March 1801 or 17 August 1801, based on the published state papers reporting the numbers of killed and wounded by rank. If he was injured in August, he would have seen the Great Pyramids of Giza -- albeit likely from a distance -- while the regiment was at Cairo in June and July. I find that fascinating for a man who I'd previously imagined living a humble collier's life in Cumberland. I've got some records to request at Kew to fill in the full picture (hopefully).

I'll next research the various Dobbins relations to see what I can find -- I've got the scanned pages of the official copy of the senior Rev. James Dobbins' will to read more closely. The challenge will be trying to bridge the records gaps in that period and see if I can find a possible connection beyond the common last name.

I'll report back anything that I discover, and will be grateful to hear about others' findings -- I'd love to see what you've found on the Dobbins' ancestry, once you have it in a place where you're happy to share.

If the name Singleton figures in it, that would be very interesting. John Dobbins' wife was called Eleanor Singleton, but I can't find anyone baptised anywhere in England around the right time who might be her. So I'm wondering if she was also from Ulster, or from county Cork, where the 30th Foot spent so much time before going to South Carolina and then the West Indies. Or she could have had dissenter parents, or the parish register was kept badly... It goes on and on.

All best,
r.

Offline KimberleyW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi both.

I hope you don't mind me following this thread. John Dobbins is my 6x gt grandfather.

I have been desperately trying to get in touch with anyone that would be able to confirm the link between the reverend and our John, with no success so far.

I even contacted the admin on a page that had loads of baptism records on it with the reverend listed has the person who had held the service to see if they might know anything about him and got a very blunt "I have no idea" reply.

In the mean time, I would love to know how you both link in with my line. I'm always thrilled to put more cousins on my tree, especially on a line that has raised so many questions for so many years.
Bunn - Suffolk, Gray - Blyth/Northumberland, Harvey - Suffolk, Moore - Suffolk, Raynor - Suffolk, Vineyard - Suffolk, Algar - Suffolk, Cleveland - Suffolk, Mickleburgh - Norfolk/Suffolk, Jackson - Suffolk, Bennett - Suffolk, Bullen - Suffolk, Wakenshaw - Northumberland, Dobbins - Northumberland/Cumbria, Singleton - Cumbria, Woolnough - Suffolk, Casely - Northumberland, Walton - Cumbria, Gordon - Glasgow, Reid - Lanarkshire, Grant - Lanarkshire, Granger - Lanarkshire

Offline reddli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi KimberleyW!

John Dobbins (b 1763 in county Moy, d Whitehaven 1835) is my husband's 4x great grandfather.

Because I'm American, I found it particularly delightful that we've now (potentially) got someone in his tree that was fighting against my revolutionary forebears -- in a broad sense, since they were separated by hundreds of miles.

Alas, his family have inherited no information about John Dobbins (or his children or grandchildren). Everything we know has come from research.

My husband is descended from John Dobbins' son John Dobbins (bap 1806 Whitehaven, m Ann Swainson, d 1865 Whitehaven), and that John's daughter Eleanor Dobbins (bap 1830 Whitehaven, m Isaac Nulty, d 1905 Whitehaven).

Please do feel free to be in touch via DM if you'd like to swap information closer to the present! --

All best,
r.