Author Topic: Emslie, William Rose - died Montreal 1896  (Read 1077 times)

Online Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
Emslie, William Rose - died Montreal 1896
« on: Saturday 25 February 17 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi.  I am looking to find any more information about William Rose EMSLIE who was buried at Mount Royal cemetery on 1 September 1896.

In particular, I am interested to see if there is a connection Robert Emslie, buried at Mount Royal on 26 August 1891.  The only other thing I know about Robert is that he married Mary Connolly in Montreal sometime in 1891 and that Mary was still single on the 1891 census shown as enumerated on 18 & 19 April.

A related thread about Mary here: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=765891.new#new

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Emslie, William Rose - died Montreal 1896
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 February 17 23:38 GMT (UK) »
I found a marriage for Robert and Mary. Robert's surname was mistranscribed so I've added a correction.

At Saint Gabriel Presbyterian in Montreal, Robert Emslie, stonecutter, son of the late Robert Emslie, fireman, Peterhead, Scotland and Wilhelmina, his wife married Mary Connely, daughter of the late John Connely, clerk, Down?, Scotland and Annie, his wife were married on 19 Aug 1891. I've attached the line from the entry which has the information about John Connely (note: that loop in the middle is from the word "daughter" above it).

There is a burial entry for Gabriel Presbyterian in Montreal for Robert Emslie, marble cutter who died on 26 Aug 1891 however there are no details such as age, family, etc. How tragic to have died so soon after his marriage.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 February 17 23:58 GMT (UK) »
William Emslie of Montreal died 1 Sep 1896 at the age of 38. There is no mention of family other than "the widow and many friends" were present. The entry is in the parish records of Saint Martin Anglican.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Online Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 February 17 03:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much, Jacquie - that's wonderful.

It would appear William is not probably related to Robert.

Yes, it is tragic that Robert has passed away within a week of the marriage. Mary's second husband was killed less than 3 months after their wedding.

I think I have found Robert on the 1881 Scotland census - his mother transcribed as "Williamia" Adams which I think probably should be Wilhelmina.  No reference to Robert's father and Wilhelmina's children all seem to have different surnames.

Online Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 February 17 04:27 GMT (UK) »
I am cross-posting with the other thread now, but based on the day and month of birth stated on the 1901 census for the widowed Mary Emsley and the year of birth on the headstone of Mary Smith wife of James Smith in Cranbrook, a possible suspect for Mary is the Mary Anne Conoley, illegitimate daughter of Anne Conoley, born in Kilmadock, Perthshire on 7 May 1863.  Her birth registration shows she was born in Doune, Kilmadock, Perthsire and that would appear to be a fit for the place name on the marriage record for John Connoly - although I think father John is a fiction.

Although it appears Robert is listed on the 1881 Scotland census as Emslie it appears he is listed on the 1871 census as Adams and is probably the Robert Adam born to Wilhelmina Adam on 28 May 1868 in Peterhead.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 February 17 08:48 GMT (UK) »
transcribed as "Williamia" Adams which I think probably should be Wilhelmina.
Williamina and Wilhelmina are variants of one another. Chances are that she was generally known as Mina or Ina or Meenie so different clerks and enumerators would have chosen their preferred variant of her formal name when writing down her details.

Make sure you check the original just in case there is an error in the transcription.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 February 17 09:14 GMT (UK) »

Offline billcraig99

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 February 18 13:23 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure who posed the question about William Rose Emslie.
I have him as son of Peter and Elias ( nee Rose) bornn1852 in Edinburgh. He was still in Edinburgh in 1881 aged 28 with his wife Isabella aged 25. With them was Isabella Megget aged 76.