Author Topic: Walter Underwood b.1868 East Hendred  (Read 1841 times)

Offline Kook

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Walter Underwood b.1868 East Hendred
« on: Saturday 25 February 17 22:50 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information on my gt gt grandfather, Walter Underwood b 1868 East Hendred, Berkshire. So far, I have only found him from his marriage in 1890 onwards. I cannot find anything before that.
Relevant information that may be helpful - He married Martha Alice Laister (my gt gt grandmother) in 1890 in Hoyland, Yorkshire. They lived in Chapel Street in Hoyland Common, Yorkshire. I have all the information about his children and also his 2nd marriage sometime after my gt gt grandmother passed away.
I also know his father was called William Underwood. I have seen his name on a document but cannot remember which document this was. I cannot find him either!
Help with anything before his first marriage would be brilliant. I have spent a very long time trying to research. Thank you in advance!
Underwood - Berkshire. Barton - Lancashire. Laister - Lincolnshire & Nottingham. Couch - Devon. West - Berkshire. Siddall - Derbyshire. Marples - Derbyshire. Broadbelt - West Yorkshire. Holdsworth - West Yorkshire

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Underwood b.1868 East Hendred
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 February 17 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat! ;D

Ignoring the Berkshire reference, there are 2 possiblilities on the 1881 census?
One born 1866 in Hornsey, Middlesex.
Another born 1869 in Birmingham.

Both have fathers called William. The first a butcher; the second a cordwainer.

What was William's occupation on the marriage certificate?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Kook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 February 17 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply! That was fast.
Thats the trouble I'm having. I know nothing about William. Walter stated on a document (one of his marriages, I assume) that his father was called William. Thats as much as I know. Its so frustrating. Walter states on all of his census sheets that he was born in East Hendred, Berkshire. Im finding no trace of him though. You think Walter could have been born elsewhere?
I really appreciate your help!
Underwood - Berkshire. Barton - Lancashire. Laister - Lincolnshire & Nottingham. Couch - Devon. West - Berkshire. Siddall - Derbyshire. Marples - Derbyshire. Broadbelt - West Yorkshire. Holdsworth - West Yorkshire

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 February 17 09:17 GMT (UK) »
I think you must get one of Walter's marriage certificates?!
Not only will it show his father's name, but also father's occupation.

Many people know where they were brought up, but not necessarily where they were born?
And there is no Birth Registration, on FreeBMD, in Berkshire for a Walter in 1868 +/- 2 years?

The other possibility is that Walter was illegitimate, and is under his mother's name in earlier censuses?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 February 17 09:22 GMT (UK) »
The 1871 Census has just 1 Walter born 1868, East Hendred?
Walter West, parents William & Jane West.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VFX2-TVW

Offline Kook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 February 17 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Wow. Thank you! You are massively helpful..and very clever! I shall look into the West family. Its making me wonder if the Underwood name he calls himself is actually from a step parent, or as you suggest, his mothers maiden name. If I get no luck from the West family, I shall look into ordering a marriage certificate for Walter.
I have also wondered for a long time, if he or his father could possibly have used a false surname, for whatever reason. Did that ever happen or is my imagination running away with me? Its so interesting but also frustrating to hit a dead end.
Thank you again! I really appreciate your help  :)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 February 17 09:56 GMT (UK) »
The laws of England & Wales allow anyone to call themselves anything they like!
Just as long as there is no intention to deceive or defraud.

Of course, it's not so easy these days, with all the Government computer systems! ;D

Offline Kook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 February 17 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Hmm. Maybe I will check the criminal records too lol. I am researching the West family now. They moved to Leigh in Lancashire, which could just be a huge coincidence. A branch of my other great grandparents (Barton) are from there. I haven't managed to piece any of it together yet though. I've found a marriage for Walter West in Leigh to a lady that wasn't my gt grandmother. I'll keep going though. Others researching him don't seem to have found him on on any census after 1881. Interesting!

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 February 17 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
To follow up on KG's  link to the 1871 census, I find that either they have changed names or that some of the children were not baptised in East or West Hendred. For example going thru the transcripts for East Hendred I find the following baptisms;
25-1-1856 John West                  s/o William & Jane, shoemaker.
     "          James William West      "        "          "          "
17-3-1862 Albert West                   "        "          "          "

also to add to the ?confusion;

25-7-1859 Sarah Ann West d/o William & Jane, Labr
     "         Jemima           "      "       "           "       "

10-3-1870 Mark Robert West s/o William & Jane, mason's labr
12-5-1872 Caleb West             "       "           "        "          "

There is also another "West" family having children during the time frame 1859 - 1870ish but I have left them out.
I looked at 1861,71,81 census as they all say EH as place of birth with Jane being a widow in the 1881 born Shippon, Berks

Could this all be the same family with William changing occupations??
Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk