Author Topic: Finding Phoebe Parker and family.  (Read 749 times)

Offline historysearch94

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Finding Phoebe Parker and family.
« on: Sunday 26 February 17 12:08 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information on my great-great grandparents.

According to my grandfather my great-grandmother Eva Herbert was born in 1901 to Phoebe Parker and Luke Herbert.

I have found a birth record for an Unknown Herbert born 19 June 1901 to Phoebe Parker and Luke Herbert (A solicitors clerk) in Holles Street Hospital. Which matches the birth date my grandfather had given me.

She is also baptised as Eva Mary Herbert in St. Andrews R.C Church in 1901. There is no image of it online but maybe it could have something written on the side like some of them tend to do.

From the 1901 census I found a Phoebe Parker, a music teacher aged 26 living alone in Mountjoy, Dublin, she is listed as not married. She is the only Phoebe Parker I have found in the census.

In 1901, Luke Herbert is living 20 minutes walk away in Marino Crescent, Clontarf. He is aged 27, listed as a solicitors clerk and living with his parents and siblings. His father is also called Luke and is a solicitors clerk. They are the only Luke Herberts' in the census that are solicitor's clerk.

I have not been able to find a marriage record for Luke and Phoebe.

In the 1911 census, my great-grandmother Eva Herbert sadly appears to be in the Sacred Heart Orphanage in Drumcondra.

Luke Herbert is still living with his parents and siblings and is unmarried.

Phoebe Parker has disappeared and I can't find her on the census or find any death records.

In 1917 the same Luke Herbert appears to marry a Mary Fitzgerald and he recorded as being a 'bachelor' on the marriage records. He dies in 1937.

In 1930 Eva married my great-grandfather who is a Protestant (Church of Ireland). Luke Herbert 'a solicitors clerk' is again mentioned in the marriage record.

Also on the same marriage record of Eva and my g-grandfather (just noticed it now) a witness is listed as 'Phoebe Power', the 1911 census shows an unemployed music teacher aged 44 living with her husband Thomas James Power in Mountjoy, yet I can't find a marriage record. Death record in 1949 of a Phoebe Power of Mountjoy with her age listed as 79 matches up with age Phoebe Parker was listed as in the 1901 census.

*Also forgot to mention Eva remarried again in 1934 after my great-grandfather died suddenly that record also has Phoebe Power as witness.

Anyway I would be grateful for any help or ideas on where to go from here. Hope this makes sense! It's a bit long I know.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Phoebe Parker and family.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 February 17 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)  Certainly is quite a puzzle there- off to have a look to see if anything else can be found to sort it all out

Meanwhile, some links for reference-

birth (1901)
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1901/01955/1754949.pdf
Eva Marie Herbert marriage (1930)
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1930/09040/5270930.pdf
Eva (Herbert) Naylor marriage (1934)
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1934/08964/5244496.pdf

Phoebe Power 'married' death (1949)
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1949/04551/4201117.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 February 17 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Phoebe Power buried Glasnevin 1949 age given as 73
http://www.glasnevintrust.ie/genealogy/results/index.xml

records will tell you who buried her and others in grave

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 February 17 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 February 17 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Have you got the records from the Sacred Heart Home they may give some further information.
annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline historysearch94

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 February 17 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your responses.

@annclare No I don't have the records, I'll try emailing the diocese archive and see if they have them maybe.

Thanks @dathai for the glasnevin link, that could possibly be a good match, I will purchase it to find out more.

Offline Charlie J

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 14:32 GMT (UK) »
When searching for Parker also search for Barker and Baker. In my own research I have found more than one spellings in a single document.
Despite high infant mortality rates and lower life expectancies, not one of your direct ancestors died childless.