Author Topic: Abercych Forge Cych  (Read 2035 times)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Abercych Forge Cych
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 March 17 19:19 GMT (UK) »
There's a "Fron goch" on the Blaenporth Cynefin tythe map - very bottom of map.

("Llain" means "long narrow strip of land" or "plot of land" (amongst other things))

Offline momo42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 March 17 17:29 GMT (UK) »
That sounds really promising.  Thank you for pointing it out to me.  I have only just found Cynefin and am not sure how to use it.  Can you search for places yet?  I have had a look at the Blaenporth map but how do i find Fron Goch?  Perhaps there is no easy way! 

Many thanks
Morecroft, Evans, Phillips, Dutton

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 March 17 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi momo
Cynefin is still in the process of digitising and transcribing and it will be really exiting to see what the final product is in terms of being able to use a search index. They are hoping for this year  :)
In the meantime this is how I would find it:
Go to Cynefin, this link should take you to the tithe maps page
http://cynefin.archiveswales.org.uk/en/tithe-maps/
Click on Cardigan on the left, and when the list of map areas comes up, scroll down until you see Blaen-Porth (5th down)
Click on the 'visualise' tab and you will see the shaded out area of Blaen-Porth appear against a background of a bigger map
Locate the bottom of this shaded out area (you may want to magnify in with the '+' tab, top right
Go back to the top left of the page and move the slider (eye on one end and star on the other) so that the newer more modern map appears below the old tithe map.
At 5 o'clock below the capital letters BEULAH C (on the new map), you will see Maesgelli and Frongoch
good luck !!!!

Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline momo42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 March 17 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Bingo!  Found it!  Thats amazing. I am determined to get involved with this project. Will have to spend a bit of time getting to grips with it first!   Its a wonderful resource.
Thanks for your help. 
Momo.
Morecroft, Evans, Phillips, Dutton