Author Topic: James Miller ca. 1828 Bradford on Avon  (Read 541 times)

Offline JosiahS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
James Miller ca. 1828 Bradford on Avon
« on: Sunday 26 February 17 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

I'm trying to trace a James Miller born about 1828 in Bradford upon Avon.

I can see that there is one in the non-conformist records but if anyone has access to the Anglican parish records for the period and could check them to see if there is another in that period I would appreciate it.

I just want to eliminate the parish church before assuming he is the non-con baptism.

Many thanks

AJ
DU: Jones, Miller, Laverick, Orwin, Burn, Finlay, Robson, Robinson, Jobling, Fenwick, Spoor, Saunders, Billingsley, Appleby
NB: Pickard, Gilchrist, Curry, Heron, Thompson, Bell, Henderson, Aynsley
CU: Bell, Armstrong, Parker
SY: Saunders, Bartlett, Ellis
SX: Bartlett, Cager
BK: Saunders
NY: Miller (Swaledale), Raw
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Miller ca. 1828 Bradford on Avon
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 February 17 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I've had a look at the ones that I have - in law ancestors from there - but can't find a James Miller. The nearest is a William Millard.

Sorry

Gadget

PS - how sure are you of birth date?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 February 17 21:00 GMT (UK) »
I've has a look at wider time frame and have found a James  Millard, bpt 19 Nov 1823. Parents: William and Catherine. William was an Agent.
Lived at Canal Company Lock House (would now be Kennet and Avon Canal).

Would that be too early?

Added - just found him on the 1851 and 1871 censuses and his age seems consistent with the 1828/9 birthdate. Have you got his marriage details to Jemima, which would give his parents?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline JosiahS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 February 17 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget

Ahhh - if only it were that simple!

I have looked and looked for the marriage.  I know from their eldest child's birth certificate that her mother's maiden name was Jemima Taylor, but I cannot find a marriage anywhere. As Jemima was from Aberdeen I've also checked the Scottish records just in case with no success.

You are right he is entirely consistant in his year of birth being 1828/9 but without the marriage certificate I'm up the creek.

As you will have noticed from 1851 he was working in an inn - I think he was already up in London in 1841 as there is a James Miller working as a pot boy in a pub of the right age but born out of county.

Maybe his parents were itinerant and while he was born in Bradford he was not baptised there in which case I'm really screwed!

Thanks for your help and interest

Ashley
DU: Jones, Miller, Laverick, Orwin, Burn, Finlay, Robson, Robinson, Jobling, Fenwick, Spoor, Saunders, Billingsley, Appleby
NB: Pickard, Gilchrist, Curry, Heron, Thompson, Bell, Henderson, Aynsley
CU: Bell, Armstrong, Parker
SY: Saunders, Bartlett, Ellis
SX: Bartlett, Cager
BK: Saunders
NY: Miller (Swaledale), Raw
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk