Author Topic: Heir Hunters TV series  (Read 10328 times)

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Re: Heir Hunters TV series
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 04 March 17 11:14 GMT (UK) »
I have found all your comments and answers very interesting.

Watching this series too and enjoying most of it.

What I find unbelievable is the number of people who do not make a will and their estate ends up going to distant relatives who had never heard of the deceased or worse still to the crown.

We recently updated our wills. Very simple and straightforward.

Our daughter and son in law made wills a few years ago too although they were only in their 30's.
Properties involved and also two young sons. They have stipulated who will have responsibility for the upbringing and welfare of our grandsons until they reach the age of majority in the event of parents deaths.

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 04 March 17 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Properties involved and also two young sons. They have stipulated who will have responsibility for the upbringing and welfare of our grandsons until they reach the age of majority in the event of parents deaths.

My daughter did that when she split with her partner.  They were never married and she bought her own house after the split and my husband and I were to be made guardians of her two children in the event of her death.  The eldest was 20 last Wednesday and the youngest will be 18 on 17 March, so not long now before any responsibility for them goes although, if the worst happened we would be responsible for them as long as they needed us.  My daughter now has another partner who lives with her but he knows the will stipulates that he is not entitled to any part of the house, in any case he part shares a house with his ex wife so he knows that if he tried to take part of my daughter's house, her children would want part of the house he shares with his ex wife.  Families eh!

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 04 March 17 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Goood morning,

The lack of a will is only a problem if the deceased has no issue. The estate is normally divided equally between any children. If they are deceased then their share is divided equally between their children.

This is where greedy children often have a problem with the system because they feel they should all have the same.

My mum was the youngest of 3, my eldest aunt had no children so her estate was left equally between her 2 sisters. I was one of 3, my other aunt had 6 children. With the original will unchanged and both sisters deceased my mums half share would be divided in 3. My other aunts half would be divided in 6.

My eldest aunt however changed her will to reflect  the fact that mum died first and we each got our 6th share of her estate and the other aunt got her half share. When she died her estate then got divided in her will.

It does not always work like that though, these companys like Fraser and Fraser really do have to work for their money. And like the case in Scotland end up making very little or even a loss when the research takes so long.

John915

PS, i'm probably teaching you all to suck eggs ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 04 March 17 12:43 GMT (UK) »
I enjoy the series, and when they look at BMD certs and look in the GRO indexes for their birth and any extended family it makes me feel at home.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 04 March 17 14:55 GMT (UK) »
... number of people who do not make a will and their estate ends up going to distant relatives
There was one in a past series where a couple had died.  Let's say the chap died first, leaving his wife.  She was very closely involved with his family - being local - but when she died without a will they had to help find HER intestate relatives.  The result was that the close family that she'd shared her life/time with throughout probably her entire married life inherited nothing because they were her husband's blood relatives and he'd died first.  The people who inherited the money had never heard of the deceased before.
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 04 March 17 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Another case where the solicitor should have asked the wife where she wanted the assets to go if her husband predeceased her.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 04 March 17 18:59 GMT (UK) »
I agree, that's is one reason why you need to have a will drawn up properly. My will clearly states what is to happen if one my heirs predeceases me, although if that happened, I'd probably rewrite my will.

A similar thing happened to me - my mother died 3 days before my uncle (her brother in law). Luckily he'd put in his will that if that happened, her share was to go to her children, otherwise the solicitor told us, we wouldn't have got anything. 
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 13:29 GMT (UK) »

I enjoy the series, and when they look at BMD certs and look in the GRO indexes for their birth and any extended family it makes me feel at home.
In this new series, there are more shots of bundles of copy certificates clipped together in each file.  Would you be first in the queue to put all the details into Postems on FreeBMD, once the file is 'put to bed'?  It seems a shame if all that information is just filed away. 

Wonder if the GRO get several requests for the same cert, from each heir hunter company that investigates a certain case?  If it's 23.40 for the Priority Service, it must amount to hundreds of pounds in some investigations.  As time is money, waiting around in local Register Offices must cost too.

Offline polly50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Well I didn't expect that!! I'm just catching up with the episodes I have recorded, when I spot a familiar face. Someone I worked with way back but I do see her around the town and we often have a natter.

Haven't seen her for a few weeks but she didn't let on that she was going to be on the telly :).
Wait till I see her next :)

I am very pleased for her though, she is a lovely person who thoroughly deserves her windfall.