Author Topic: Mary Spollen, Brooklyn 1940 -what became of her?  (Read 859 times)

Offline City Hall

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Spollen, Brooklyn 1940 -what became of her?
« on: Monday 27 February 17 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am trying to find out what became of Mary Spollen, who was boarding with the Gallagher family at 42 Sterling Place,Brooklyn in the 1940 US census.I think I have established her back story,but cannot be 100% sure.
These are the bullet points.

Mary (Josephine) Spollen, age 4, 1911 Irish Census, living at 21 Temple Cottages,Dublin.

Mary (Catherine) Spollen, age 21 of 21 Temple Cottages, Dublin emigrating to USA in 1930, bound for 23 William Street, Newport, Rhode Island.

Mary (Josephine) Spollen, living at 1 Chester Court, Brooklyn making a naturalisation petition in November 1933.

Mary Spolen,age 33,single, 1940 US census, boarding at 42 Sterling Place, Brooklyn with the Gallagher family.

Mary Spollen, aged 77,died in 1983 New York as per U S social security index.

I am trying to establish if all these 'Mary Spollens' are the same person.If anyone can provide any additional information to help me 'join the dots' I would be very grateful.
Thanks.
Paul.

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Spollen, Brooklyn 1940 -what became of her?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 08:01 GMT (UK) »
Passenger List, Mary J Spollen, age 21.  Sailed from Liverpool, England on board the Laconia, arriving Boston, MA 1 July 1928
She was single, Bookkeeper.  Last permanent address:  Dublin.  Born: Dublin.
Nearest relative:  Father, "Park" Spollen, 21 Temple Cottages, Broadstone, Dublin
Final Destination:  Newport, R.I.
Joining: Aunt, Mrs. Margaret Keegan, 33 William Street, Newport, R.I.

Mary (Josephine) Spollen, living at 1 Chester Court, Brooklyn making a naturalisation petition in November 1933.

Petition dated 28 July 1933 [2nd page has a 21 November 1933 date]
Mary Josephine Spollen, born 29 December 1906, Dublin
Residing 1 Chester Court, Brooklyn, NY.  Office Clerk
Arrived 1 July 1928 on board the Laconia
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 08:18 GMT (UK) »
1930 District 0082, Brooklyn, NY Census
Mary J Spollen, boarder, age 23, born Ireland as were parents.
Immigrated 1928.  Occupation:  Clerical.  Industry: Electrical?
Address:  46 Park Place?

1940 New York, NY Census (as you already mentioned)
Mary Spolen, lodger, age 33, single, born Erie.
Address: 42 Sterling Place

Park Place is around the corner from Sterling Place

Mary Spollen, aged 77,died in 1983 New York as per U S social security index

SSDI
Mary Spollen, died December 1983; she had the exact birth date as the lady mentioned above who was born in Dublin.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline City Hall

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa, thanks for your replies.
I think all the records refer to the same person.
I now have the birth record for Mary Josephine Spollen born 29 December 1907 to Patrick Spollen and Mary (Keegan) Spollen.
You have access to a record stating that Mary Spollen sailed from Liverpool to Boston on board the Laconia in 1928.I don't have access to that record,but I have a record of her sailing from Liverpool to New York on board the Lancastria, arriving in New York on 17th March 1930(St Patrick's Day).Interestingly she states on the ship's manifest that she has never been in USA before,yet on her entry on the 1930 US census and in her petition for naturalisation in 1933 she states she emigrated in 1928.
And as the date of birth on the SSDI in 1983 is the same as the other records,29th December 1907,I must assume that this is the same Mary Spollen.
Lisa, thanks again for your help.If you or anyone else can supply any additional information on Mary I would be very grateful.
Regards.
Paul.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Did she have a sister named Catherine Mary?

Lancastria left Liverpool, England arrived New York, NY on 17 March, 1930
    Catherine Veronica? Mary   [Kathleen crossed out and written above her name]
Spollen, Kathleen        age 21, single, dressmaker.  Born Dublin.  Last residence: Dublin
Nearest relative:  Mother, Mary Keegan, 21 Temple Cottages, Broadstone, Dublin
Ever been to the U.S.: No
Final Destination:  Newport, R.I.
Joining: Aunt, Miss M Keegan, 23 William Street, Newport, R.I.
Height - 5', fresh complexion, brown eyes and brown hair

Declaration of Intention
Mary Josephine Spollen, Bookkeeper
age 21
Height: 5' 4", fair complexion, brown hair, grey eyes
Signed:  24 August, 1928?

A mistake could have been made with her description, her age, stating she had never sailed to the U.S., and her name, but is it possible that the 1930 sailing was for a relative?

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Mary (Josephine) Spollen, age 4, 1911 Irish Census, living at 21 Temple Cottages,Dublin.

Mary (Catherine) Spollen, age 21 of 21 Temple Cottages, Dublin emigrating to USA in 1930, bound for 23 William Street, Newport, Rhode Island.

1911 Inns Quay, Dublin - Temple Cottages
Patrick and Mary Spollen and youth:
James Joseph, Thomas Brendan, Mary Josephine (age 4) and Catherine (age 2)

The 1930 sailing could be for little Catherine.   ;)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Apparently, this is Kathleen
Kathleen Veronica - 1908 - 1968
Buried in Saint Columba Catholic Cemetery, Middletown
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jla/

Offline City Hall

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

Thanks for your further posts.I think you are absolutely right.The Catherine Mary Spollen emigrating in 1930 has to be Mary Josephine's younger sister Kathleen Veronica. I think the inclusion of the forename Mary is incorrect, as is the details recorded for her next of kin.This should say mother Mary Spollen,not Mary Keegan. M Keegan is the aunt she was travelling to in Newport,Rhode Island.Her mother Mary Spollen is now next of kin as her father Patrick died in Dublin in 1929.

Regards.
Paul.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 March 17 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder