Author Topic: Lucy New (wife of Daniel New of Newbury)  (Read 4374 times)

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Nanny and Grandad married in 1921
    • View Profile
Re: Lucy New (wife of Daniel New of Newbury)
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan,

Looks like you were right in thinking that Thomas & Lucy had more children, Here's what I have been able to find in the parish records for St Nicolas Newbury.

No Baptism found for Sarah but she died in 1822
Burial: 9/3/1822 Sarah Wootton aged 7 yrs 3 months daughter of Thomas & Lucy Wootton

Baptism: 17/7/1816 Mary daughter of Thomas & Lucy Wootton of Newbury (father's occ: Potter)
Burial:30/12/1816 Mary Ann Wootton aged 6 months daughter of Thomas & Lucy Wootton

Baptism:26/12/1817 Elizabeth daughter of Thomas & Lucy Wootton of Newbury (father's occ: Staffordshire Ware Man)
Burial: 8/4/1818 Elizabeth Wootton aged 4 months daughter of Thomas & Lucy Wootton

Baptism: 10/3/1819 Jane daughter of Thomas & Lucy Wootton of Newbury (father's occ: Earthen Ware Man)

Baptism: 25/12/1822 Clara daughter of Thomas & Lucy Wootton of Newbury (father's occ: Potter)
Burial: 3/11/1823 Clare (should be Clara) Wootton aged 11 months daughter of Thomas & Lucy Wootton

Baptism: 6/3/1825 Caroline daughter of Thomas & Lucy Wootton of Newbury (father's occ: Staffordshire Ware Man)
Burial: 6/10/1827 Caroline Wootton aged 2 yrs 7 months daughter of Thomas & Lucy Wootton (Now New).

The library also has a copy of the original 1815 Toomers census so I had a quick look and Thomas Wootton is recorded as aged 39 yrs old, also living in the same household were James Brindley aged 18yrs and William Brindley aged 22 yrs.

Chris

Offline janjim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Chris,
Thank you so much for all of this information, how very sad, giving birth to all these children and then losing them at such a young age.
I will note all of this down in my records now.
Regards
Jan
New, Thorn, Bird, Ruffey, Bosley, Belcher- Newbury Berkshire
Haynes/Haines - Much Birch Herefordshire, Monmouth Wales
Kearn/Watkins- Llanllwchaiarn/Newtown, Wales, Tyberton, Herefordshire
Gwilliam - Monmouth Wales, Herefordshire
Collier, Jackson - Salford, Manchester Lancashire
Saunders - Middlesex, Devon
Benson - Edinburgh, Scotland
Callander - Falkirk, Scotland
Ambrose - Liverpool, Manchester Lancashire, Canada
Timms, Elliman - Oxfordshire, Warwickshire
Ellison - Manchester/Portsmouth Hampshir

Offline janjim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 July 18 02:46 BST (UK) »
Hi again Candrjm,
Following on from this, I wonder if you could assist me again please.    I am looking at Lucy Brindley's brothers that you have named below, a James Brindley and William Brindley, trying to find their dates of birth.
Trying to connect up with a Brindley family, in saying this, have a connection with a descendant of James Brindley b. 1840, he was a Fishmonger in Newbury, his mother most likely was Mary Ann Brindley.

Would like to see if James and William Brindley had the same parents.
Regards
Jan

Hi Jan,

Looks like you were right in thinking that Thomas & Lucy had more children, Here's what I have been able to find in the parish records for St Nicolas Newbury.

No Baptism found for Sarah but she died in 1822
Burial: 9/3/1822 Sarah Wootton aged 7 yrs 3 months daughter of Thomas & Lucy Wootton

Baptism: 17/7/1816 Mary daughter of Thomas & Lucy Wootton of Newbury (father's occ: Potter)
Burial:30/12/1816 Mary Ann Wootton aged 6 months daughter of Thomas & Lucy Wootton

Baptism:26/12/1817 Elizabeth daughter of Thomas & Lucy Wootton of Newbury (father's occ: Staffordshire Ware Man)
Burial: 8/4/1818 Elizabeth Wootton aged 4 months daughter of Thomas & Lucy Wootton

Baptism: 10/3/1819 Jane daughter of Thomas & Lucy Wootton of Newbury (father's occ: Earthen Ware Man)

Baptism: 25/12/1822 Clara daughter of Thomas & Lucy Wootton of Newbury (father's occ: Potter)
Burial: 3/11/1823 Clare (should be Clara) Wootton aged 11 months daughter of Thomas & Lucy Wootton

Baptism: 6/3/1825 Caroline daughter of Thomas & Lucy Wootton of Newbury (father's occ: Staffordshire Ware Man)
Burial: 6/10/1827 Caroline Wootton aged 2 yrs 7 months daughter of Thomas & Lucy Wootton (Now New).

The library also has a copy of the original 1815 Toomers census so I had a quick look and Thomas Wootton is recorded as aged 39 yrs old, also living in the same household were James Brindley aged 18yrs and William Brindley aged 22 yrs.

Chris

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 23 July 18 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,

Quote from your opening post:

Always thought Lucy was unmarried at the time of her marriage in 1826, and we now find that she was married to a Thomas Wootton on the 11th July, 1812 at St. Nicholas Church, Newbury.   So prior to her marriage to Thomas Wootton she was Lucy Bindley, baptised 11.5.1794 at Cheslyn Hay, Staffordshire.

How sure are you that this was your Lucy baptised in Staffordshire?

If the ages for William and James Brindley were correct in the Toomers 1815 census and you do have the correct baptism for your Lucy then the two Brindley boys might also have been from Staffordshire but they might not be Lucy's brother's as the 1815 Toomers census does not give relationship information.

Chris

Added:

Baptism for James Brindley brother of Lucy:

Name    James Brindley
Date    11 May 1794
Place    Cannock, Staffordshire, England, United Kingdom
Parish    St Luke
Father's Name    William Brindley
Mother's Name    Jane Brindley

and Lucy's baptism:

Name  Lucy Brindley
Event Baptism
Date    11 May 1794
Place    Cannock, Staffordshire, England, United Kingdom
Parish    St Luke
Father's Name    William Brindley
Mother's Name    Jane Brindley

can't see a baptism for William Brindley in Staffordshire with parents William and Jane.

Offline janjim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 23 July 18 22:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you Chris,
Well I am not absolutely sure of course, guess I have a lot more research to do, but definitely have a DNA connection to a lady who is a descendant of James Brindley b. 1840 Newbury who died 1900, his Mother apparently Mary Ann Brindley b. 1821 Newbury.   We find Mary Ann Brindley in 1841 census in Wash Road, Newbury, living next door to Lucy (nee Wootton/Brindley) & Daniel New

I need to find out more on Mary Ann Brindley then, who her parents are.

If you can assist me there, I would really appreciate that.
Jan

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 12:08 BST (UK) »
Images of the baptisms of Lucy and James are on FindMyPast. Mother's name is spelt Jaine and their abode is something that looks like Cheslynhay (?). Can't find anything similar near Cannock on Google maps, but could be a small hamlet now swallowed up by Cannock.

Added
found on Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheslyn_Hay

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 14:11 BST (UK) »
There are two James Brindleys birth reg in Newbury in 1840, the one in Q1 had mmn MacCarthey, the one in Q2 had no mmn on GRO  index which may indicate illegitimacy. as 1841 census was taken on 1st June, either could be 1 year old on the census. But if your James was in same household as a 20 - 24 year old Mary Ann Brindley she is possibly his mother and Charlotte Brindley age 45 - 49 is possibly widowed grandmother.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 15:04 BST (UK) »
It looks like Mary Ann Brindley married Michael Wills in 1843 In the 1851 census James is recorded as James Willis

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SG85-YNF

This looks to be the other James Brindley's parents in 1851 census but son James born 1840 doesn't seem to be recorded with the family, can't see a death for him:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SG85-YLQ

So the James Brindley c1840 Fishmonger who married Rachel Honey shown in this 1891 census could be either James Wills going back to his birth name or James Brindley son of James and Catherine Brindley (nee Macarthy/MacCarthey)

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:7B1P-5W2

Chris

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 15:09 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage for a William Brindley in Newbury on 25 Dec 1815, bride was Charlotte Challis. In 1861 Charlotte Brindley (widow - pack woman /pedlar age 70 and possible mother of Mary Ann) was visiting Harriet Challis age 72 unmarried - maybe older sister ?