Author Topic: Looking for information: John Anderson, son of George Weir Anderson  (Read 3033 times)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for information: John Anderson, son of George Weit (or Weir) Anderson
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Just for information scotlandspeople has Sarah Nimmer Hood Stewart  born 1917 in Milton.

Dies 1968 age 51 in Glasgow.

Offline Teshhi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for information: John Anderson, son of George Weit (or Weir) Anderson
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Just a little update. I've reviewed the birth certificate for John Weir Anderson 1913 456/28 Scoonie Fife (from Scotlandspeople). This John's father's name is William John Anderson and his mother is Euphemia Melville Anderson, so I get the feeling it's not the John I'm looking for.

I have found a marriage certificate for George W Anderson. This is more difficult to read but it looks like he married a Jane Weir in 1910. I'm struggling to read the name of George's mother, it looks like it may read as 'Maggie Anderson' and I can't make out her maiden name at all.

I'm trying to figure out the discrepancies as best as I can.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Well, George did claim his son was born in 1910 in Canada (seems unlikely but who knows) and if it is the correct George.
Also, the date of birth was before the marriage to Jean.....

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 March 17 06:22 GMT (UK) »
Have you found George and Jean on 1911 census Scotland - need credits to view.

Offline Teshhi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 March 17 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Good morning,

I've been looking at the 1911 census this morning and have found two George W Andersons, both of whom were 21 at the time. Entering the forename "Jean" as another person living at the address bared no results so I'll have to look into these a little further. I'm currently on my mobile and will take a closer look when I'm in front of a computer. Thanks!

Offline Teshhi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for information: John Anderson, son of George Weir Anderson
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 23:39 GMT (UK) »
I have managed to find George and Jean living together as a married couple on the 1911 census. The census states that one child was born alive to the couple and has a dash in the next box along with the heading still living. To me this would suggest that a child may have been born and passed away? Or could it relate to John, as I suspect he may have been born in 1911 or 1912?

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 09 March 17 06:58 GMT (UK) »
It cannot relate to any child born after the census date as it was not updated in the future (unless Scotland behaved very differently to England and Wales)

There are 3 columns : Total born alive, Total still living, Total died, so there should be 3 'entries'.
Is one column blank?

Offline Teshhi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 09 March 17 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

There are two columns, the headings for these are 'children born alive' (in this case one) and 'children still living' (dash).

The other households listed on the census have number and name entries for the children for example; children born alive 6, children still living 5. The name of the five living children are then listed in the name and surname section.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 09 March 17 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Teshhi, You say that you want to order John's service record, but do not have his service number.

Though it makes life easier if you have it, you do not need a service number to request a service record from the MOD, but you do require other information to identify the serviceman, generally date and place of birth.

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records