Author Topic: Looking for information: John Anderson, son of George Weir Anderson  (Read 3071 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for information: John Anderson, son of George Weir Anderson
« Reply #18 on: Friday 10 March 17 01:29 GMT (UK) »
George and Jean married 1910 Blythswood, Glasgow.    You say you've found them on 1911 census - what district were they living in then?

John Anderson married Margaret (Maggie) Murray 19/6/1885 Enzie, Banff and son George Weir Anderson was indeed born 15/6/1889 but at Rathven, Enzie, Banff (not Elgin).

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 10 March 17 01:57 GMT (UK) »
John Anderson married Margaret (Maggie) Murray 19/6/1885 Enzie, Banff and son George Weir Anderson was indeed born 15/6/1889 but at Rathven, Enzie, Banff (not Elgin).

Annette

Annette,

That was info. given on Reply #5 from chempat, source was from Ancestry Illinois deaths.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 10 March 17 02:06 GMT (UK) »
I have managed to find George and Jean living together as a married couple on the 1911 census. The census states that one child was born alive to the couple and has a dash in the next box along with the heading still living. To me this would suggest that a child may have been born and passed away? Or could it relate to John, as I suspect he may have been born in 1911 or 1912?

If John was born early 1911, it may well be referring to him but questionable unless the 'dash' is actually a faded 'tick' as a dash seems strange (not the norm) but neither would a tick be the norm  :-\

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 10 March 17 05:09 GMT (UK) »
There were a lot of inconsistencies in the 1911 English census. What you see is the original form as filled out by the householder, and some misunderstood and misinterpreted the requirements/instructions. There are instances of strikethroughs due to errors (many of which can be a gold mine for reseachers).

I have not seen a 1911 Scottish census, but might this be the reason for the unexplained dash in this census entry?

There were numbers and other check marks written on the census sheets by officials counting and classifying occupations etc. In this example is the dash written by someone else, or the householder?

Offline Teshhi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 13 March 17 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Once again, thank you for all the helpful replies and suggestions! :)

Ruskie - Thank you for providing this information, once I've identified John's place and date of birth I'll request his service records from the MOD.

Annette - The 1911 Scottish census shows they were living in the Civil Parish and Parish Ward of Glasgow Fourth, Burgh Ward of Townhead, Parliamentary Burgh of Glasgow, Parliamentary Constituency of St Rollox.

I have attached an extract of the record in the hope that this might provide a little more clarity. Apologies for the attachment being somewhat lopsided, I didn't want to post the information of other households on the page.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 01:51 GMT (UK) »
I read that as saying that they had one child which had died. Unfortunately there are 24 deaths of Anderson children under 1 year old in Glasgow in 1910/1911, and another 47 aged 1 year, so finding out which one it was would really be a task to undertake in the SP centre rather than online.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 01:52 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Forfarian completely.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 29 May 20 18:32 BST (UK) »
Referring to new enquiry :- For Sale and Wanted Board.........

Is it worth contacting/hiring a professional genealogist? Has anyone done this?

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=831851.msg6963250

For background this is what was researched previously.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada