Author Topic: Robinson of Lancashire, Liverpool 1805  (Read 2920 times)

Offline kerrynstafford59

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robinson of Lancashire, Liverpool 1805
« Reply #18 on: Monday 06 March 17 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Ok.   I have been tracing my convict John Amey (Jnr) border 1811 He was sentenced on 2nd January, 1838 for highway robbery.  He was transported to VDL on the Lord William Bentinck2 in April 1838 and arrived in Hobart.   His father also known as John Amey was also a convict who was transported to Australia 

John met up with a Margaret Robinson who we believe was also a convict and they had a daughter Charlotte around 1842.  There was no marriage between them found and there is no record of a birth certificate for Charlotte either. 

John received his TOL and travelled to Gippsland and Charlotte followed not long later.   All the trees that I have searched that have my family in it have Margaret Peers and so I followed the same line but nothing seemed to marry up but I have been in contact with a couple of the tree owners and they were sure we had the same Margaret.   

I hope this makes sense.   I have always followed Margaret Robinson who arrived in Hobart in 1832 about the Hydrey.  This is I believe the right Margaret in Hobart but we have the wrong Margaret in England.  Hope this makes sense. 

Kerryn

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 06 March 17 20:15 GMT (UK) »
There are a lot of Margaret Robinsons in Tasmania   :( as the various marriage records show.
It may be a coincidence but there is an entry in the Marriage Permissions records for a Margt Robinson who arrived on the  Hydrey, getting permission to marry a William Lester on 4th November 1840 and William Hughes in 1846   ???

Maybe a silly question, but may I ask how you know that John Amey's partner and Charlotte's mother is Margaret Robinson if there are no marriage or birth records?
John appears to have been a bad lad in prison and was doing hard labour in 1842 and the early part of 1843.  I wonder how he managed to find a girl and get her pregnant.
Bev
Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 06 March 17 23:50 GMT (UK) »
.....may I ask how you know that John Amey's partner and Charlotte's mother is Margaret Robinson

When Charlotte AMEY married in Victoria in 1859 she said she was aged 17, born in Hobart Town, parents named as John AMEY and Margaret ROBINSON.

It may be a coincidence but there is an entry in the Marriage Permissions records for a Margt Robinson who arrived on the  Hydrey, getting permission to marry a William Lester on 4th November 1840 and William Hughes in 1846   ???

She was given permission to marry William LESTER but they did not marry.  She then applied to marry William HUGHES and they did marry in 1846.

John appears to have been a bad lad in prison and was doing hard labour in 1842 and the early part of 1843.  I wonder how he managed to find a girl and get her pregnant.
Bev

Where are you seeing that?

http://search.archives.tas.gov.au/ImageViewer/image_viewer.htm?CON31-1-3,400,12,L,70

Debra  :)

Offline kerrynstafford59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 06:28 GMT (UK) »
I remember someone saying that she was of bad character as well and so I must have put 2 and 2 together but someone did say that she was in the nursery at some stage.   Could this have been another wild goose chase.  On Charlotte's wedding certificate it states her mother as Margaret Robinson but on her death certificate it states unknown.  Can I added attachments if so I will organise for them to be attached.  Don't worry Just saw the button attachments.  I will get on this tomorrow.   
thanks again.  Cheers

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 07:31 GMT (UK) »
When Charlotte AMEY married in Victoria in 1859 she said she was aged 17, born in Hobart Town, parents named as John AMEY and Margaret ROBINSON.

1842 baptism for Charlotte at St Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, Hobart

M :)

Offline GailB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 08:40 GMT (UK) »
I see they are Roman Catholic. I found something earlier but have been out all day and have something else to do tonight but that maybe why you can't find the correct marriage in England for Peter Robinson and Margaret.

I notice this burial in Manchester which is likely to be an RC burial and Peter is deceased.

Burial: 18 Mar 1836 Collegiate, Manchester, Lancashire, England
Caroline Robinson - Daughter of the late Peter Robinson & Margaret
    Abode: 7 Mill Street
    Buried by: R.C.
    Register: Burials 1836, Page 369, Entry 2947
    Source: FHL Film 1545610

Note: Peter Robinson is deceased.

This needs further investigation but there is a baptism for a Margaret Berkin on Familysearch, born 17 Nov 1805, baptised 8 Dec 1805 at St Mary, Stafford, daughter of Thomas Berkin and Catherine.

Also on Familysearch is a marriage at Swynnerton, Stafford between Peter Robinson and Margaret Birkin on 3 Jul 1826.

Margaret Robinson was tried in Dudley which is not that far from Staffordshire, so it is a reasonable assumption that Margaret could be Margaret Birkin/Berkin?
Armitage, Atherton, Barton, Beck, Bradshaw, Brumfitt, Chetwin, Conalty, Connolly, Connor(s), Davidson, Hilton, Hoey, Johnson, Jones, Knight, Lester, McDonald, Molyneux, Morris, Pownall, Rushton, Spark, Stanley, Tunstall, Welsby, West, Wharton, Williams, Wilson, Windridge, Windstandley

Offline kerrynstafford59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 10:06 GMT (UK) »
 Oh my.   I cannot believe you found it.  I searched and searched.   Clearly I am useless.   I don't think anyone else has found it either so thank you.   Now you have given me something to work on.  I am over the moon.   Kerryn.    ;) :)

Offline GailB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Kerryn, you are not useless and it is not quite proven yet. I just thought it was a good possibility.
Armitage, Atherton, Barton, Beck, Bradshaw, Brumfitt, Chetwin, Conalty, Connolly, Connor(s), Davidson, Hilton, Hoey, Johnson, Jones, Knight, Lester, McDonald, Molyneux, Morris, Pownall, Rushton, Spark, Stanley, Tunstall, Welsby, West, Wharton, Williams, Wilson, Windridge, Windstandley

Offline kerrynstafford59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Gail,  I have just worked out who is writing the messages, a bit slow picking up on the forum site.   I have searched high and low but to be honest never thought of checking the church records.   I think that my Charlotte who died in Junee in NSW is buried on the Catholic section at Foster.  Will need to go and have a look again.   I know where it is so will not have to search.  She apparently was a lovely lady.