Author Topic: Louisa Luxton married Robert Forsyth where did she come from?  (Read 3133 times)

Offline bluegecko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Louisa Luxton married Robert Forsyth where did she come from?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 March 18 23:56 BST (UK) »
Maybe there is a clue in the names of their children.

Robert John, Matilda Louisa, Georgina Luxton, Hariett McNab, Elizabeth Margaret, William Richard Brooks, Victoria Isabella, Emma Hannah, David Vido, Fanny Christina Ann, Alfred McIntyre, Wallace James Edward, Agnes Rebecca and Harry Abraham.

Robert John got married twice in Scotland and gave the name of his mother as Matilda Louisa Luxton.
Adams [Hertford], Albon [Suffolk], Atwell [Hampshire], Bawden [Cornwall], Bellett [London], Calcott [London], Clear [Cornwall], Colman [Cornwall], Everett [Dorset], Forsyth [Scotland], Gill [Dorset], Hewett [Cornwall], Hill [Cornwall], Jago [Cornwall], Jeans [Dorset], Lane [Dorset], Luxton, Mardell [Hertford], May [Cornwall], Moyce [Hampshire], Mursell [Hampshire], Pascoe [Cornwall], Polglase [Cornwall], Rottman [Holland], Rule [Cornwall], Sewell [Hertford], Smith [Hertford], Tenison [Holland],

Offline bluegecko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 00:44 BST (UK) »
I think I have found her. Louisa Loxton baptised 1823 East Harptree. Parents John and Anne Loxton. She is a servant in 1841 named as Louisa Lockston. That Louisa Lockston is named in some marriage Banns in 1843. I previously thought this disqualified Louisa Lockston as being my ancestor but there was never a marriage registered and the man she was to marry married someone else the next year.
A DNA match fourth cousin is descended from Fanny Loxton. Fanny and Louisa are sisters.
Adams [Hertford], Albon [Suffolk], Atwell [Hampshire], Bawden [Cornwall], Bellett [London], Calcott [London], Clear [Cornwall], Colman [Cornwall], Everett [Dorset], Forsyth [Scotland], Gill [Dorset], Hewett [Cornwall], Hill [Cornwall], Jago [Cornwall], Jeans [Dorset], Lane [Dorset], Luxton, Mardell [Hertford], May [Cornwall], Moyce [Hampshire], Mursell [Hampshire], Pascoe [Cornwall], Polglase [Cornwall], Rottman [Holland], Rule [Cornwall], Sewell [Hertford], Smith [Hertford], Tenison [Holland],

Offline UKman

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 22 August 20 21:38 BST (UK) »
Anne - I have been doing some research for my wife's family from the Calcott side. A very short reply to you summarizes a rich history.  I wonder which of Georgina's children you are descended from. My wife is related to the youngest of Georgina's children, namely Thomas (Jr.).

Georgina Luxton Forsyth (1850-1885) married Thomas John Calcott (1840-1883) on January 15, 1869 in Limerick.

Thomas had at that point served 7 years (of a 12-year commitment) as an enlisted man in the Royal Artillery.  Shortly after Thomas and Georgina married they departed for service in India, arriving in Madras. Thomas was a Corporal at that time.  They had 7 children in total, two of whom died very young.  They lived in many different parts of India.

Thomas retired after 21 years in the RA, and became a Head Constable in the Madras constabulary.  About three months after he started working as a constable he died of cholera.  Georgina quickly remarried a Patrick Trainer, also in the RA but sadly died July 23, 1885, aged 35, from chronic diarrhea, presumably dysentery.

I have a lot of information on the succeeding family of Thomas Calcott (Jr.); a little on his oldest brother Henry; but very little on his sisters Georgina Layton, Harriet Maude and Louise.

I would be interested to know more of how the girls fared in India after their parents untimely deaths.  Henry and Thomas were sent to the Lawrence Academy (orphanage).

Ian P.