Author Topic: Louisa Luxton married Robert Forsyth where did she come from?  (Read 3130 times)

Offline bluegecko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Louisa Luxton married Robert Forsyth where did she come from?
« on: Thursday 02 March 17 03:58 GMT (UK) »
The first record I have of her is her marriage. Scotland Select Marriages 1561-1910. Louisa Lacton & Robert Forsyth 14 Nov 1845. 75th Regiment Stirling Scotland.

She had at least 14 children between 1847 and 1869. They are born/baptised in Scotland, Gibraltar, Corfu, England and Limerick Ireland.

She died in Limerick. Ireland Civil Registration Deaths Index 1847-1869 Q1 1888 age 70.

The name Luxton has been passed down as a middle name for some of the girls in the family. It has been spelled in many different ways.

I don't know if she was a local Scottish girl or came from elsewhere if he met her when his army regiment was away.
I'm guessing she was born around 1818.

I don't know where to look next?

Thanks

Ann Waugh
Adams [Hertford], Albon [Suffolk], Atwell [Hampshire], Bawden [Cornwall], Bellett [London], Calcott [London], Clear [Cornwall], Colman [Cornwall], Everett [Dorset], Forsyth [Scotland], Gill [Dorset], Hewett [Cornwall], Hill [Cornwall], Jago [Cornwall], Jeans [Dorset], Lane [Dorset], Luxton, Mardell [Hertford], May [Cornwall], Moyce [Hampshire], Mursell [Hampshire], Pascoe [Cornwall], Polglase [Cornwall], Rottman [Holland], Rule [Cornwall], Sewell [Hertford], Smith [Hertford], Tenison [Holland],

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Louisa Luxton married Robert Forsyth where did she come from?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 March 17 05:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi,,,Can't help with his wife. But looking at some pension records ,,it seems he was claiming his pension in Gibraltar up to 1857,,,then in 1858 he was claiming it in Corfu.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 March 17 05:05 GMT (UK) »
From 1865 he was claiming it in Limerick. There is also a note to say he was a chief warden in a prison.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 March 17 05:11 GMT (UK) »
His service record states he served 13 years in the cape of good hope,,,the rest at home ( which includes Ireland ).

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 March 17 05:12 GMT (UK) »
When and where was the first child born ?

Offline bluegecko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 March 17 08:33 GMT (UK) »
Their first child was Robert John Forsyth baptised 04 Jul 1847 75th Regiment Stirling Scotland DOB 29 Jun 1847. Next was Matilda Louisa baptised same place Dec 1848. Then my 2nd great grandmother Georgina Luxton Forsyth born in Gibraltar 1850.

Matilda married John Nicholls Grace Holloway in Limerick in 1868. She is shown as being born in Ireland in census records. I can't work out whether she was born in Ireland and baptised in Scotland or just gives Ireland as place of birth because she grew up there?

Ann
Adams [Hertford], Albon [Suffolk], Atwell [Hampshire], Bawden [Cornwall], Bellett [London], Calcott [London], Clear [Cornwall], Colman [Cornwall], Everett [Dorset], Forsyth [Scotland], Gill [Dorset], Hewett [Cornwall], Hill [Cornwall], Jago [Cornwall], Jeans [Dorset], Lane [Dorset], Luxton, Mardell [Hertford], May [Cornwall], Moyce [Hampshire], Mursell [Hampshire], Pascoe [Cornwall], Polglase [Cornwall], Rottman [Holland], Rule [Cornwall], Sewell [Hertford], Smith [Hertford], Tenison [Holland],

Offline bluegecko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 06:35 BST (UK) »
Further research into their marriage and the baptisms of their first two children shows that the marriage and baptisms took place in Ireland and were registered at the headquarters of the 75th Regiment.
The marriage took place in Birr, Offaly, Ireland.
Robert John Forsyth was baptised 04 Jul 1847 Tullamore, Ireland.
Matilda Louisa Forsyth was baptised 10 Dec 1848 Kilkenny Ireland.

I'm searching for the birthplace of Louisa Luxton and Robert Forsyth's family.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 22:57 BST (UK) »
Have you researched and eliminated
Susan Louisa Luxton,
daughter of Henry a horse dealer and his wife Susan
baptised 1 st November 1819
Abode Seaton,
 Devon,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline bluegecko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 March 18 23:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Radcliff

Thanks for the suggestion.

I made a private tree for Susan Louisa Luxton on Ancestry to see if it was possible that she was my Louisa.
It seems that she married John Stone in 1855. Susan Louisa Stone died in Axminster Devon in 1882.

I thought I found her when I found a Louisa Hill age 19 (alias Eliza Luxton) in a criminal register in 1842 in Devon (receiving stolen goods) but it seems that Eliza Luxton died age 20.

Then I was hopeful when I found a Louisa Lockstone in the 1841 census but that Louisa Lockstone went on to marry.

Cheers
Ann