Author Topic: Directory of Cape Town - around 1900  (Read 2036 times)

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Directory of Cape Town - around 1900
« on: Friday 03 March 17 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Would anyone perhaps have access to or can guide me to Cape Town directories dating from about 1900?

My great-grandfather, Henry Levy, applied for Letters of Naturalisation in Cape Town in November 1900 having been in the Cape Colony about 15 months, i.e. since about August 1899. At some point he rejoined his family in London, possibly arriving in Southampton on 04.04.1903.

In the mid 1890s, the family had been living in Johannesburg, but according to family legend fled in the wake of the Jameson raid.

I'm trying to get a better understanding of his occupation in South Africa and would be very grateful for any assistance and/or advice.

Justin

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Directory of Cape Town - around 1900
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 March 17 07:54 GMT (UK) »
You can order copies of his application for Naturalisation directly from the archives in Cape Town. These could give you an indication of his occupation and address which could be a starting point. I have sent you a pm in this regard.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline shirl27

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 March 17 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Justin

You could try the following site to order and buy a copy of the Juta’s 1900 Cape Town Street Directory if it still available:
http://sagenealogy.co.za/store/1900-jutas-directory-of-cape-town/
and if this will help,  I have photographed a few Street Directories of early Johannesburg from 1890 – 1903 and there are a number of LEVY entries for H, Hy, Hyme and the entries specifically for for Henry are as a member of the Stock Exchange.

Shirley
BRAUN
REED
HARVEY
SANDERSON

Offline Benny07

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 January 19 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shirley, In my quest to identify my Great-Grandfather it would be a huge help if I could establish where in Wakkerstroom/Marthinus Wesselstroom the following persons were staying: Charles Edward Benningfield; Lourens Johannes van der Merwe ... or for that matter anyone with the name Benningfield/Beningfield or Peters living in the Transvaal during the 1800's to early 1900's.
If you could assist I'd be most grateful
I live in Cape Town and if it will be of any help to you I can do look ups for you at our National Archives or Juta's Street Directory look ups at our National Library
Regards
Brian Benningfield

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 January 19 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Charles was living at Rooipoort, district Wakkerstroom when he married his second wife, Sarah Elizabeth Montgomery, on 20 October 1890. His first wife was Frances Elizabeth Pieters and she died in 1889, leaving a seven year old son Charles William Benningfield. Both the marriage and the death notice for Frances are on familysearch, together with other Benningfield's.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 January 19 12:59 GMT (UK) »
I see that there are a couple of trees on line for the Benningfield/van der Merwe/ Peters family. Not sure if they are yours. Google Benningfield+Wakkerstroom and they will pop up.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline Benny07

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 January 19 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Shirley thanks for your prompt reply.
All the info on Geni and Wikitree is my research.
I was rather hoping your copies made of the Transvaal street directories would provide additional clues to my quest to identify my elusive GGrandfather (my brickwall)

Sincerely
Brian

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 January 19 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Sorry - that was not Shirley that replied.  Perhaps you should do this as a separate new post, so many others could possibly help.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline shirl27

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 January 19 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian

I have gone through the Johannesburg Street Directories that I have (1890 - 1905) but unfortunately found no entries for Benningfield/Beningfield at all. There is a Jeppe's Transvaal almanac and directory for 1889 available online here: http://pds.lib.harvard.edu/pds/view/44786820?n=1&imagesize=1200&j... and you could try looking through as it covers some of the smaller towns in the Transvaal.
"......I trust I'm not breaking any rules by adding a link"

Regards, Shirley
BRAUN
REED
HARVEY
SANDERSON