Author Topic: Lapsed RC members  (Read 13425 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Lapsed RC members
« on: Friday 03 March 17 16:19 GMT (UK) »
I am heartily fed up of wasting my time on posts, surname interests etc by people who turn out not to have been active on RC for years. There are a helluva lot of them!

I'm not suggesting that their posts be deleted, nor that they be excommunicated (!) but is there any way these names can be highlighted in some way so that others know immediately that they haven't been near nor by RC for years?

How sad that there must be loads of people out there who start their family research and then seem to give up very quickly!
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lapsed RC members
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 March 17 16:42 GMT (UK) »
How do you mean?

All my 'unread posts' state NEW by them so presumably they are only currently posted.  How do you come across posts by RCers who have not been active for years.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 March 17 16:45 GMT (UK) »
jillruss, I try to remember to check the dates on posts, for that very reason.

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 March 17 16:46 GMT (UK) »
I'm confused also - if they haven't been active for years why would anyone be looking at their posts?  But that aside, a quick click on their user name confirms when they were last active.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 March 17 16:56 GMT (UK) »
How do you mean?

All my 'unread posts' state NEW by them so presumably they are only currently posted.  How do you come across posts by RCers who have not been active for years.

Pheno

When someone replies to a post however old the original posting it will show up as 'new'   :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 March 17 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rosie but it won't be a new posting by the OP will it and the date of the previous posting is always at the top so would you answer if there is a large time gap between the posting you have been advised is new and the one prior to that?

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 March 17 17:18 GMT (UK) »
It is rarely a posting by the OP.  I have not as yet been 'caught' by this situation but have noticed it a few times.  Most people would probably not even look to see when the posting before the one shown as new was made, I don't. 

Sometimes it is because someone may have picked it up through googling and joins up to reply which is understandable.  I have seen on another occasion where a RC member is probably just going through old posts to see if they can answer them but obviously not checking when they were originally posted or whether the OP ever returned to the site.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 March 17 17:23 GMT (UK) »
How do you mean?
Pheno

When someone replies to a post however old the original posting it will show up as 'new'   :)

It's not just unread posts.  When I use the search facility at the top of the screen, I get a list of posts however old they may be.  If a Rootschatter has posted something I would like to know more about (or query a detail) it can be disconcerting that the poster has not been active for several years.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 March 17 17:25 GMT (UK) »
On the other hand, recently there has been a spate of "new contacts" coming into RC, having found the connection to a thread, and family connections have been made.

Surely it is down to US to think about/check the last date of contact from an OP or other respondent.   :o  If we get caught out at times, tough  :'(
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY