Author Topic: Lapsed RC members  (Read 13466 times)

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lapsed RC members
« Reply #18 on: Friday 03 March 17 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Although I am one of the ones who checks the dates of posts and last activity of the poster, I do get your point jillruss.

Maybe people who have been on the site for a long time (not sure I can include myself in that group ;) ) have got to know over the years that it is worth checking the posters profile for when they were last active - indeed some newer users may not even be aware of that facility.

If it was technically possible it would be handy to have the 'last active' date displayed with the posters other details on the left hand side of each post (next to where the user's post count is shown). This may not go as far as your suggestion of colour-coding, but would at least save the need to click through to the users profile.

I'd also add that I was wary of clicking on the users name when I first joined Rootschat as I assumed it was a link to send them a PM or something. Even now I still get an occasional 'stalkerish' feel if I need to check other people's details, it somehow doesn't feel quite right  :-[

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 03 March 17 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nick

it would be handy to have the 'last active' date displayed
this could put off new members trying to get intouch with the original poster - I am often asked about "old posts" which some new folk refer to as being 2013-ish and I encourage them to indeed reply - most folk profile has been checked within 12 months to check that the email is still live. If there is no message under the profile the member is still "live".

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 03 March 17 19:45 GMT (UK) »

Thanks Sarah, fair point. Always good to encourage people to reply, however speculative it might be.

Although the tip "View the profile of..." comes up if you hover over the users name, it may not be obvious to new users or those less IT able who might not want to experiment. But probably not a big issue for people who have been here a while.

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 03 March 17 19:54 GMT (UK) »

Even now I still get an occasional 'stalkerish' feel if I need to check other people's details, it somehow doesn't feel quite right  :-[

It helps if you are helping someone, you don't want to suggest to a person that they visit the Archives in Kew, when they live in Canada etc.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 03 March 17 20:01 GMT (UK) »

Perhaps making the date under the title larger or bolder would be more helpful and less technically challenging for the powers that be  ???

I too have picked up on old threads and been disappointed to find the op long gone.
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 03 March 17 21:27 GMT (UK) »
I don't think it should be an issue really! 

If any new researchers pick up a Rootschat post on one of the old threads, perhaps through a Google search for a person, as I did years ago, (and promptly joined up) even if the original poster has not been online for years,  (given up, or maybe passed away) they may well find some great information that pertains to the family they are researching. 

It may even just be one little fact that leads them to some helpful family information, and they will probably become a Rootschatter themselves! 

I thinks it's great that they are kept visible, and can still be added to for future possible researchers!

After all, none of us can post that we are seriously ill, in hospital - or have died! 

Sarah's got it right!!

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Online frostyknight

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 03 March 17 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Moderators always seem to be looking for someone to annoy - try the lapsers!!  >:(

I think that's rather unfair. I've been on Roots a while now, and I think the mods do an excellent job on this site.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 03 March 17 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Moderators always seem to be looking for someone to annoy - try the lapsers!!  >:(

I think that's rather unfair. I've been on Roots a while now, and I think the mods do an excellent job on this site.

Totally agree on this! They certainly do a great job, and we'd be in a bit of a mess without the dedicated team of Moderators that step up to do it!  👍👍👍👍👏👏👏👏
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 03 March 17 23:10 GMT (UK) »
After all, none of us can post that we are seriously ill, in hospital - or have died

Why not Jeanne - I was just reading on another thread where someone has discovered that she is dead according to an on line family tree!  ;D ;D

Having been almost caught out once, I always check dates of posts and when the OP was last on line. Much quicker to do that than spend time doing a lookup and then discovering they haven't logged in for 3 years.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk