Author Topic: Lapsed RC members  (Read 13426 times)

Offline panic

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Lapsed RC members
« Reply #27 on: Friday 03 March 17 23:25 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure how many forums the OP is active in as it seems a strange request to me. The post age information is clearly shown on RC so when you search and find a topic of interest it is clear to see how old the last post is and then use that as to whether to post.

Posting on an old thread may well not get a reply and not simply because the original poster isn't active, they could be active but have moved on and not check the old threads or be subscribed to them. An old thread can come alive if someone posts on it, but it easy to see the ages of older posts and realise a new reply is on an old conversation.

The subject of lapsed RC members is a different one. Should lapsed members have their memberships revoked? For instance if someone hasn't been back in 5 years are they likely to ever be and should they be removed?
Shropshire: Bailey, Cadman, Chilton, Garbett, Pritchards
Yorkshire: Chilton, Cogan, Cooper, Farrar, Hammond, Nickless/Nicholls, Silkstone
Ireland: Brannan, Cogan, O'Connor

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 04 March 17 00:06 GMT (UK) »
The subject of lapsed RC members is a different one. Should lapsed members have their memberships revoked? For instance if someone hasn't been back in 5 years are they likely to ever be and should they be removed?

I don't see why - they aren't doing any harm by being there. It isn't as if they are taking up space and stopping new members from joining. Also, the way I think it works, if they were removed, so would all their old posts and that would be a shame as it would make nonsense of a lot of threads.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 04 March 17 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Good evening,

Taking this thread as an example, it is at this moment the first on the common room list. It has 4 columns, the second gives the title of the thread and who started it, in this case Jillruss. Why can the start date not be added after the name. That way anyone looking at any thread will see it right from the start.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 04 March 17 00:18 GMT (UK) »
I've seen non active members come back when someone posts to an old thread and I've seen new members who have posted to an old thread get helped even though the OP never came back.

It's not broken so don't fix it.

I think not posting to a thread just because it's old is a mistake, doing hours of research and posting it to an old thread is a mistake. Have a quick search and than make a post asking the OP if they still want help as you have found something. Wait and see if they return, than get stuck in or not as the case may be.

A larger date stamp might be a good idea though.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 04 March 17 01:40 GMT (UK) »
I have seen 'old' threads 'take off' with new info. added even though the OP has not responded (for whatever reason) as there are others out there going to be related & add or join RC when a 'google' search directs them here  i.e. all is not lost by adding to an old thread as there will always be someone who will pick it up at some point, just as new info. becomes available online on other sites.

Agree with Groom, no point in deleting a lapsed member or yes, some threads are going to be a bit of a muddle/fuddle/guddle  ::)

I also agree the Mods do a great job!

People on here are here to help, not to lead anyone in the wrong direction regardless of their question(s) & as mentioned, any queries can be directed straight to Mods or on the forums in question, if on the wrong forum it can easily be moved, no problem or hassle.

I had been doing genealogy a long time prior to finding RC by a 'google' search on something but wish I'd known of it prior....best site online in my book  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 04 March 17 07:17 GMT (UK) »
After all, none of us can post that we are seriously ill, in hospital - or have died

Why not Jeanne - I was just reading on another thread where someone has discovered that she is dead according to an on line family tree!  ;D ;D

Having been almost caught out once, I always check dates of posts and when the OP was last on line. Much quicker to do that than spend time doing a lookup and then discovering they haven't logged in for 3 years.

Yeah but I'm still posting Groom. ;)

I too think the moderators do a great job.   I'm not sure I'm too happy about the suggestion that most of us get into genealogy in our later years  ;).  I was 23 when I started and although that was now some time ago I'm not that old and I could name several RCers that are younger than me by quite a bit.

I'd also suggest that replying to a thread started by someone who has not been online for a while is not necessarily a waste of time.  Just as you found a thread, equally someone else researching the same family could come across the thread by googling and it could be useful to them.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 04 March 17 07:42 GMT (UK) »
It helps if you are helping someone, you don't want to suggest to a person that they visit the Archives in Kew, when they live in Canada etc.

Cheers
KHP

I do that as well, but not everyone lists their location on their profiles. :-\

I also think the Mods do a great job. :D :D

If those posters have an email alert and someone posts on an old thread they'll get an alert to the fact that there is a new post.  So why not take the chance if you have new info for someone, it may just be the break throught they are waiting for. ;)
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 04 March 17 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Moderators always seem to be looking for someone to annoy - try the lapsers!!  >:(

I think that's rather unfair. I've been on Roots a while now, and I think the mods do an excellent job on this site.

Sorry - I'm breaking my self imposed silence because I couldn't disagree more. I have had over enthusiastic moderators change the contents of my posts without even paying me the courtesy of telling me why (and, no, it wasn't because I was breaking any copyright laws). In the end, the post became total nonsense because of the changes. I have also had moderators lock threads (again, no indication as to why) where some poor RCer had poured their heart out and clearly needed some reassurance - alas, not possible because the thread had been mysterously locked. On this occasion, I even PM'd the moderator in question - but never received a reply.

I am also puzzled by the fact that I have seen posts censored because the poster has given out FH data sourced from CDs or websites where copyright might be an issue (fair enough, no one wants to get sued) but, then, other threads seem to be able to give out such information willy nilly. I do realise these people are volunteers - but what training do they get or are they just allowed to do what they want?

I still remember a rather overly officious FHS Chairperson who would swoop on anyone giving help to a fellow RCer from one of her FHS's CDs but then would happily give away such information on other posts. I presume she thought it was okay because no one would question her right to do so and she could look like Lady Bountiful whilst the poor Rcer would feel more like Dick Turpin preparing for the gallows. Quite frankly - its an enigma as to what information you can or cannot divulge on RC.

I know this seems overly critical of a site meant to be helpful. I think the site has lots of positives but a bit of consistency wouldn't go amiss - and, sorry, but that's down to moderators.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 04 March 17 13:33 GMT (UK) »

I am also puzzled by the fact that I have seen posts censored because the poster has given out FH data sourced from CDs or websites where copyright might be an issue (fair enough, no one wants to get sued) but, then, other threads seem to be able to give out such information willy nilly.

Could this be because the mods have not been alerted to the posts that gave out the information willy nilly.  They cannot be expected to read every post under their jurisdiction so also have to rely on others reporting it to them.   :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk