Author Topic: most of my family connections come from orkney and campbelltown renfrew etc  (Read 2128 times)

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
just found some more names to add to my list moodie or mudie, templeton- o'may flett bell and strickland.and added to place names india, transvaal africa, sud africa rhodesia new zealand & california. why is it therefore that its mostly the scots and the irish that mostly up sticks and moved abroad in the 1800s' and the english did not do the same until 100 years later.?
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: most of my family connections come from orkney and campbelltown renfrew etc
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 June 17 08:50 BST (UK) »
That looks to be an excellent article Annie.  :)

I just skimmed through it, so may have missed mention of this, but Scottish Protestants were encouraged to emigrate to the colonies, in some cases with passages paid, and promises of work and land. They were seen as necessary to build the country and to address the balance of convicts and lawlessness.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: most of my family connections come from orkney and campbelltown renfrew etc
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 June 17 12:22 BST (UK) »
That looks to be an excellent article Annie.  :)

Yes it is Ruskie!

Scotland had many inhabited islands too which were miles from civilisation & the easiest way to explain their way of living would be like wild camping.

Not to mention the clearances with some horrendous stories  :(

More interesting reading....

http://isleofbarra.com/desertedvillage.htm
Scroll down to......The Clearance of Balnabodach

https://cranntara.scot/clear.htm

http://www.tartansauthority.com/resources/the-highland-clearances/

"...people were seized and dragged on board. Men who resisted were felled with truncheons and handcuffed; those who escaped, including some who swam ashore from the ship, were chased by the police..."

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"