Author Topic: Separate trees?  (Read 300 times)

Offline lrashford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Separate trees?
« on: Friday 03 March 17 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Hey everyone!
I've been researching since 2014 on and off (when time and money allow) and I've made some good strides with my mother's side of the family (Barrett). My father's is a bit crap to be honest and I really needs deleteing and starting a fresh (I haven't got far). My plan was to rename the tree I have now on ancestry as Barrett and keep that just for my mum. And create a new tree for my dad's line. What do you think? Is this common practice? I don't know if it's just my brain being silly but I honestly feel so overwhelmed with the tree now and since everyone named their children the same name I am getting so bogged down and confuzzled. Any help would be much appreciated :)
Ashford - Somerset, Bristol, Witham Friary

Barrett/Treeweek - Bristol, Somerset, Cornwall

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Separate trees?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 March 17 19:15 GMT (UK) »
I have one for my mums side (with her maiden name), one for my dads, one for my husbands birth family and one for his adopted great grandmothers side - which I did for her 100th

Offline lrashford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 March 17 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Oh that's so cool! I'm never sure what to do for the best but it seems silly if I'm getting overwhelmed by one treee not to separate them.
Ashford - Somerset, Bristol, Witham Friary

Barrett/Treeweek - Bristol, Somerset, Cornwall

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 March 17 19:27 GMT (UK) »

I have been researching since about 2006 & have 20+ trees!!  that sounds a lot but once I start too many branches I move it to a new tree. However where a branch goes off as it were I put, for example, see Youngs in the parents box so I know I have a separate tree.

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)