Author Topic: Poyser marrying a poyser in Derby  (Read 651 times)

Offline ThorpeDave

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Poyser marrying a poyser in Derby
« on: Saturday 04 March 17 14:31 GMT (UK) »
While researching the family of George Poyser (1810-1868) & Sabra Hazeldine (1809-1840) I am trying to trace their first born son Alfred Poyser b. 1834 in Derby

Looking at possible marriages, I have come across a record of a marriage on February 20th 1867 at  Saint Werburgh which gives the following information

Alfred Poyser Marrying Eliza Poyser

Alfred's father is stated as George Poyser
Eliza's father stated as Joseph Poyser - Eliza being a Widow

What intrigued me about this record is that George Poyser has a brother Joseph Poyser born to parents George Poyser 1778-1853 & Martha Daking 1777-1842 - so, could the offspring of 2 brother be marrying each other??

As an aside, After George Poyser's first wife, Sabra Hazeldine died in 1841, he went on to marry his sister-in-law, Elizabeth Hazeldine which was in breach of the Marriage act of 1835 - bad boy!

If anyone has access to Parish Records for Saint Werburgh's I would appreciate some additional information on the Marriage of Alfred and Eliza Poyser.

Regards

Dave

Thorpe (Leicester), Doughty (Leicester, Kent & Norfolk), Poyser (Derby), Boulter (Derby), Cushing (Derby, Norfolk), Holmes (Derby) Todd (Co. Durham)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Poyser marrying a poyser in Derby
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 March 17 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello, one thing that I'm puzzled about is that if she was a widow on her marriage, Poyser would have been the name of her husband, not her maiden name. Have you seen the actual marriage certificate where it states her father is Joseph Poyser?

There is a tree on Ancestry that has it differently, they have:

Eliza Hinds (1835) marrying Thomas Hazzledine Poyser in Dec 1859. They have a child Joseph born 1860.
Thomas dies in 1861
Eliza Poyser (nee Hinds) marries her brother in law Alfred Poyser in 1867. (If so, this was illegal I believe until 1907)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ThorpeDave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 March 17 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello, one thing that I'm puzzled about is that if she was a widow on her marriage, Poyser would have been the name of her husband, not her maiden name. Have you seen the actual marriage certificate where it states her father is Joseph Poyser?

All I have seen is a transcript on both FindMyPast and Family Search - but I would agree with you that her name her name and her father's name would not be Poyser if she was a widow.

There is a tree on Ancestry that has it differently, they have:

Eliza Hinds (1835) marrying Thomas Hazzledine Poyser in Dec 1859. They have a child Joseph born 1860.
Thomas dies in 1861
Eliza Poyser (nee Hinds) marries her brother in law Alfred Poyser in 1867. (If so, this was illegal I believe until 1907)

I am happy that Thomas Hazeldine Poyser died in 1861 aged 25 (if you know what I mean) although I am not yet convinced that Thomas "Hazeldine" Poyser was Eliza's first husband as I cannot an exact match - including "Hazeldine"

Unfortunately I have not been able to find in image of the Parish register so only working from transcripts at the moment!

Regards

Dave
Thorpe (Leicester), Doughty (Leicester, Kent & Norfolk), Poyser (Derby), Boulter (Derby), Cushing (Derby, Norfolk), Holmes (Derby) Todd (Co. Durham)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 March 17 17:53 GMT (UK) »
What about this marriage

Marriages Dec 1859 
Hinds    Eliza       
Poyser    Thomas       
Derby    7b   817

Followed by this birth for Joseph from GRO site

POYSER, JOSEPH       mother's maiden name HINDS     
1860  D Quarter
DERBY 
Volume 07B  Page 373

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 March 17 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Then in 1861
Aslockton Nottinghamshire
RG 9; Piece: 2484; Folio: 57; Page: 5

James Challand   35                                                    Earl Bridford, Nottinghamshire
Sarah Challand   37                                                    Derbyshire
Thos Challand   8                                                      Aslockton, Nottinghamshire                             
Mary Challand   73                                                    Lincolnshire
Eliza Poyser   24   visitor  widow                        Belper, Derbyshire
Joseph Poyser   6/12  visitor                         Derby, Derbyshire

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 March 17 18:10 GMT (UK) »
This is possibly her in 1851 - look at her father's name. It could be that it was just a mistake on the marriage certificate and her father's first name was put correctly, but the surname was put as her married name in the Parish record, which may have been written up later. The certificate for her marriage to Alfred may be the way to go.

1851  HO107; Piece: 2143; Folio: 319; Page: 18  Derby

Joseph Hinds   39    Groom                               Kneton, Derbyshire
Hannah Hinds   38                                            Toodmore, Derbyshire
Eliza Hinds   16    Servant out of place            Broadhole, Derbyshire
Fanny Hinds   14                                            Broadhole, Derbyshire
Joseph Hinds   10                                           Broadhole, Derbyshire

Offline ThorpeDave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 March 17 19:37 GMT (UK) »
What about this marriage

Marriages Dec 1859 
Hinds    Eliza       
Poyser    Thomas       
Derby    7b   817

Followed by this birth for Joseph from GRO site

POYSER, JOSEPH       mother's maiden name HINDS     
1860  D Quarter
DERBY 
Volume 07B  Page 373

Aha - thank you, I will put that on the list for a GRO certificate. When doing a search on FindMyPast looking for Thomas "Poyser" they have it misspelled as "Payser" !

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi

From ancestry, transcript from England Select Marriages:-

Eliza Hinds aged 23 born 1836
Married 26 December 1859 Kingstreet Chapel, District of St. Alkmunds, Derbyshire, England
Father. - Joseph Hinds
Spouse _  Thomas Payser
Aged 23 born 1836
Father - George Payser

Spendlove

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.