Author Topic: Henry Pike/Pyke Horsham  (Read 2077 times)

Offline rpoole

• RootsChat Member
  • Mayfield House - Tasmania
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Pike/Pyke Horsham
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 13 December 18 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi, My source for Mary Huntly is her marriage to Joseph Pyke at Horsham, Sussex, Eng.
26 Dec 1826.  This is on Ancestry and gives their source as England Select Marriages 1538 - 1973 FHL film No. 1041543 Item 3 P116.    Also on Ancestry is her baptism as Mary Huntley bap 23 April 1806  parents John and Mary.   I am always open to any other ideas that may prove her to be another Mary.
Do you have proof of the Mary Ann Overy being the right one?
Cheers, Bob

Offline Rappers 11

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 13 December 18 00:44 GMT (UK) »
Hmm the marriage place does make your more likely.  Mine was is Surrey which is why I questioned it.
Henry was sentence to death, but as with many I guess he was transported instead.  My real connection is very minor as I said I am a relative of Daniel Rapley.  Famous for the Shipley/Rapley Gang.

Offline rpoole

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 13 December 18 04:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rappers,
Yes, there is a letter "R" on Joseph's convict indent & back in the 80's when I copied it at the Hobart Archives, I asked the lady at the counter what the "R" meant. She said I was very lucky to be standing there, as it meant "Reprieved from death".
I had never associated Daniel Rapley with the "Gang".   I still do not know what became of Mary after being refused permission to be married. 
Cheers Bob

Offline Rappers 11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Henry Pike/Pyke Horsham
« Reply #12 on: Friday 14 December 18 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Bob,

Daniel is the son of James Rapley, who was also convicted as the leader of the Shipley/Rapley Gang, but hung himself in Goal.   James was was my Great-Uncle of Husband of Aunt of Husband of 2nd Cousin 4x removed, so very distant  :-)

Offline rpoole

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 14 December 18 11:26 GMT (UK) »
It's interesting that the Rapley's were active in the Horsham, Sussex, district which is where Joseph Pyke married Mary.   She may have known the Rapleys back in England ?   Although she was only 12 when Daniel arrived in NSW and she arrived NSW in 1828, 10 years after Daniel.       A small world even then. ???

Offline Rappers 11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 14 December 18 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Yes small world.

I have connections which have looped and connected twice.
My Family Tree has become addictive.