Author Topic: Charles William Snook photo album  (Read 10260 times)

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
Charles William Snook photo album
« on: Sunday 05 March 17 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have in my possession an old photo album that seems to belong to a WA family (Australia).(1940s and 1950s)
The album contains photographs of Charles William Snook and his yacht Timaru in Perth. The photographs of Snook seem like family shots,they are not professionally taken .They seem to have been taken not long before he died, judging by his age and the other photos in the album, which some do have dates.

Much of the album contains photos of what seems to be a family trip to the uk plus local photos here in aus. Woodside , which seems like the photos were taken at a farm
I think one photo may be of Charles's wife as it is  labled Hilda (taken in Ireland climbing up a hill), other photos have them in Trafalgar sq, Wales and Scotland.,loading their car onto the ferry at  Fishguard (car reg begins with LA) - sadly the rest of number plate is not visible
Many of the people are not named, but Hilda , Kath , Mrs Reynolds and Patch the dog in front of Chilton Grove Sudbury (England)
There are also  photo cards of Qantas first plane and such.

There is also a very old photo on the very 1st page, taken around the  late 1800s or or early 1900 of a lady, taken in a studio in Perth, (and a much newer photo of a little girl stuck next to it, which looks to be taken in the 1940's maybe,) which I guess the older photo could be the owner of the album's mother,or grandmother.

I'm hoping a relation  of Snook's , or his wife's (Hilda Burn kershaw), or his his 1st wife ( Clarice May Adele De Leon family)will come across this post with a google search.
Snook played a big part of Australian aviation history  and I would like to pass the album on to a relation ,  or someone who has an interest in the man,  and will take@care of the album.
http://www.tangeepublishing.com/forgotten_flyer.htm

http://www.raafawa.org.au/museum/wa-aviation-history/airlines-wa

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jn3/
A little bit about him above
I have tried to contact the publisher of the book in the first link,so that they can pass on a message to the author of the above book(as it mentions he is a distant relative) but my mail bounces back saying that their inbox is full and contains fatal errors.
I don't want any money for the album, I rescued it from a local market  here in Brisbane, cost me only $2, an absolute  bargain!
Hopefully the author ,if still alive ,will find my post, or someone else who is connected to the family.
Kind Regards
Ps
I may upload the photos of Snook later , just to preserve them for anyone who has an interest in the man and  WA aviation history -It seems such a shame if they get lost over time. He apparently used to take young cadets out in his yacht and also race it.
Ive done a fair bit of reading up on the man, too much info to put it all in my post. He had  an adopted daughter, don't know if she is still alive, and it seems he also  had a daughter and son from his first marriage which ended in divorce  (Hilda was his second wife, who was just as@fascinating as him -apparently she was the 1st women to graduate as a dr out of the university )
The album may belong to one of his, or his wife's  family members.
Excuse my typos (I am using my phone)

Pps , edited to add, I've just noticed that the pic of a Hilda (written alongside it is Hilda, going uphill at Carrichia Raide (sic)N Ireland , primroses in hand"who I thought may be his wife as her name was Hilda too -I am now fairly certain it is her, as underneath the photo alongside the date in small writng -I failed to notice that it says H.K !( as in Hilda kershaw and I know that she continued to use her maiden name in the medical world)
So who ever this album belongs to is certainly a relative , or a very close family friend who took the trip to the Uk with this family

I do hope that one of his relations   finds this post, I'd love to pass the album onto it's rightful owners , otherwise I may ask  the aviation museum,or archives over in Wa if they  would they like it
I wonder how the album ended up here in Brisbane in a bootsale/market being unloved (In my total excitement of buying the album for just a measly  $2 , I totally forgot to ask where the stall holder got it from...but I do know that many of the stallholders at this particular  market get their stuff from the  local recycle shop at the rubbish tip)
Kind Regards

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Charles William Snook photo album
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 March 17 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Following on, as I have just found some extra info;
His daughter from his first marriage died in 2012 in WA .

His son was apparently a bit of a well known war hero too
http://www.australiansatwar.gov.au/stories/stories_war=W2_id=194.html
One of the photos in the album, there is also  young couple on the yacht, with a little boy .The young man looks the spitting image of the picture of the much younger Charles Snook - I wonder if this unlabeled pic is Charles's son .
There must be relatives out there somewhere.
Kind Regards

Offline John Athelstan Bessell-Br

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 September 18 02:31 BST (UK) »
 :)I am the grandson of Charles William Snook and was delighted to find your entry about the photo album. Clarice's and Charlie's daughter, Gwendoline Lucy Adele Snook, was my Mother, born on Sept 11th 1914. They also had a son, Athelstan Charles Edwin Snook.
How can I obtain the album or a copy of it? I'm willing to reimburse any charges in gaining this information.
Cheers,
John Athelstan Bessell-Browne

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 September 18 10:07 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

Welcome to RootsChat. When you replied to Cell's post earlier this morning it sent a notification to let them know of your reply. I have just picked up your message in the UK but members are from all around the world so sometimes you do need to allow time for folk to reply to you.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 September 18 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I had trouble logging in - I forgot my password. I got the notification today in my emails - but because I haven't been on here for ages ( taking a break) I completely forgot my password - finally remembered it now :D

Hi John,
I do still have the album. Funny thing only two days ago I was thinking of it - so it's an odd concidence that you replied to my old message two days later - meant to be!

I don't want any money for it- I am really happy that it will go back to it's family especially  direct family.. It is a fascinating album and obvious it belongs with it's family. I hope someone out there can do the same for me if they ever come across any of my family.
I enjoyed looking after it. , I hate to see  family things  destroyed and lost.
Just Private Message me your postal address and if you're in Australia - I'll just send it to you in an aus post bag. Don't worry about it. If you want to send me the cost of postage back when you receive the parcel it's up to you - I am just really happy that it's found it's home.

If you're not in Aus -postage is expensive to internationally send and we have a problem and we'll have to sort something different out.

Kind regards
Cell

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 September 18 15:27 BST (UK) »
Glad to hear that you are ok Cell :) John will be able to use the pm function when he has made one more post ;)

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 September 18 21:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sarah :)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 September 18 23:19 BST (UK) »
Brilliant posts .. I love it when an album or bible is sent HOME  :)

fillin up

xin

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 September 18 23:56 BST (UK) »
Lovely story Cell, glad you now have contact with a descendant!

I wonder how many of the same sort of thing has been thrown in the bin over time by people without trying to locate the origins/families concerned?

Of course when people have no interest in genealogy it wouldn't cross their minds to search for descendants to reunite any finds.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"