Author Topic: "Floating" images on ancestry.c.uk  (Read 1202 times)

Offline webb1e

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
"Floating" images on ancestry.c.uk
« on: Monday 06 March 17 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I wonder if anyone else has had this problem, and if there is a way to fix it.
Recently on ancestry when I look at an image, say a page from the census, I enlarge it. Then, when I want to move from one side to another, or move my mouse up to the save button, the whole image moves, which can be quite annoying. I'm not holding down my mouse button while I do this, and it doesn't happen on findmypast.
Also, if I want to change a date, say a year of birth, ancestry no longer lets me just highlight what I want to change and write the new info over it, I have to first delete the date then write the new one. This is also a recent problem.
I've had ancestry for some years now, and haven't had these problems before. I use Firefox. I did speak to ancestry and they told me to use Google Chrome, but surely Firefox should work properly.
Any advice would be much appreciated,
Thanks,
John

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: "Floating" images on ancestry.c.uk
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 March 17 11:09 GMT (UK) »
The floating image problem I've been getting intermittently for some weeks.  I've found if you click the browser refresh button it will stop for that image but sometimes the next I view may, but not always, have the same problem.  I wondered if it was a Microsoft update that had caused the issue as it seems to happen after I've enlarged the image to view and then dragged it about, but that may be coincidental.  Could as much be an Ancestry issue but unless a lot of people complain, they are unlikely to do anything about it. ::)  All they will say is that its your browser and clear your cache and cookies.  Clearing cache doesn't resolve the problem and I don't see why clearing cookies would either but that is their support's standard response.  I've not seen any comments about it on their Facebook page but don't go on there that often.

Not having an issue with the search boxes though.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline webb1e

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 March 17 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for replying, it is some relief to know I'm not the only one! Yes, Ancestry told me to clear my cookies etc, but with nil improvement. I'll try your refresher button idea, it might save my sanity!
Thanks again,
John

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 March 17 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry seem to be having quite a few problems at the moment - I've had the same problem you describe but only intermittently, but have completely lost the 'autofill' for any place names, meaning I have to type them in full each time.   

This wouldn't be too bad except the search only works if the place name is typed in the exact Ancestry format, ie searching 'Leicester' doesn't work, I have to type 'Leicester, Leicestershire'. 

They are aware of these issues as several threads have been started on the 'help' pages and on FB, but so far they haven't responded other than the usual clear cookies / try a different browser. 

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Drosybont

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 March 17 12:57 GMT (UK) »
I use Chrome and get the 'floating image' problem sometimes.  A quick way which usually stops it is to zoom out and then back in again.  Noticed the autofill problem recently too, find it more annoying because I can't be sure whether or not it's affecting searches.  Hope they sort it soon.

Drosybont

Hotham, Guilliatt, Brown, Winter, Buck, Webster, Mortimore
Richards, Meredith, Gower, Davies, Todd, Westmacott, Hill
Mid C19 Cardiff and Haverfordwest, the Marychurch family.

Offline webb1e

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 March 17 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Drosybont, it lets Firefox off the hook (I found that reason difficult to swallow), looks like Ancestry customer care again, everyone's fault but theirs. I'll keep my fingers crossed that they fix it, but won't hold my breath!

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 March 17 21:45 GMT (UK) »
I'm using IE11 and getting the same problem so its obviously not browser specific.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline webb1e

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 March 17 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Jomot and Smudwhisk, thanks for taking the trouble to reply, though, Jomot, I'd say it is us, the users, who are having the problems - why should Ancestry worry, they are still getting our money! Which of course is what they are all about.
Thanks again
John