Author Topic: Look up Request for Elizabeth Herbert born about 1710 Monmouthshire  (Read 5964 times)

Offline giggsycat

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Look up Request for Elizabeth Herbert born about 1710 Monmouthshire
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 23:16 GMT (UK) »
There is no baptism showing for Ann Smith in Chepstow c1775 on the FOD site.

IF there is an Elizabeth Herbert involved in this, is she not more likely to be the mother of Vere b c1755? Or not!

Giggsy

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 23:20 GMT (UK) »
There is no baptism showing for Ann Smith in Chepstow c1775 on the FOD site.

Giggsy

Hi Giggsy, suppose all options for Ann possibly Herbert mother Elizabeth 1775?
Keyboard
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline giggsycat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 23:22 GMT (UK) »
No Ann Herbert showing either!

Offline Helen Louise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 30 June 17 13:55 BST (UK) »
Hi, just seen this post about the Herbert/Smiths with Vere in their names.I too come from this family & it is all very complicated.Basically if you are a descendant of the names you have posted then you are related to the Herberts of Pembrokeshire,one Duke married a Susan De Vere hence the name Vere being included in the name.This is very difficult to research have been doing it off & on for over 20 years.Lost some of my research,but will try to tell you what I know.I come from John Smith born 1775 who would be a cousin of Herbert Vere Smith born around the same time.They had a habit of giving their sons the same names through the generations.My John had Edward & his brother was called Vere.You can almost guarantee if Vere is in the name & come fro Chepstow down along the coast of S Wales be it Smith or Herbert ultimately come from the same line. The Smiths that they come from are brothers in Chepstow who were stewards for Caldicot Castle which was under the Herbert family.Look up the castle & Sherrifs of Monmouthshire.We come from a Vere Herbert from a marriage of Margaret Herbert, Vere Herberts youngest daughter who married A Smith.I think Sir Thomas Smith.Bringing them together is difficult as only wills &parish records to go on.Vere Herbert Smith of Abergavenny was the oldest son of a Smith yet unidentified who left everything to him being the oldest,I come from one of the other sons,but not sure which yet as there is 3 John Smiths who are obviously cousins but I can't yet work out which one belongs to which father,am dealing with the actual parish registers now.The Gwent archives where these records are used to be literally on my doorstep but have now been moved .Go to the website & lots of information wills etc online.Know more but too much to tell now Helen x

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 25 August 17 19:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen Louise

Thank you for your reply and I have just sent you a reply as a PM to you.  I really appreciate all the information that you have put into your reply and think it is very interesting and I would like to know more, and really hope you are able to help me.  Kind Regards  Elizlloyd
Way, Haydon, Sharland, Frost, Gunn, Searles, Carew, Jones, Gould, Smith, Featherstone, Lloyd,

Offline Helen Louise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 25 August 17 21:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply can't personal message you for some reason.Your Vere Smith is my 3x Great Grandfathers Edward Smiths brother,their father is John Smith of Landavenny find him on the 1841 census.If you look at the census for Penhow 1841 & 1851 can't remember which without getting all my records out they are both Edward & Vere living there & worked for Penhow Castle on the farm I think.I have seen the parish register & John is definitely their father. Vere moved over Risca way somewhere.Edward stayed in Penhow & is buried in the castle churchyard.This is where it becomes difficult matching the right John Smith to the right father as there are 3 John Smiths in the area going up towards Chepstow they define themselves in records to where they lived our John Smith in parish registers says of Llandavenny.So the Thomas Smith born 1768 Llandenny is wrong,maybe a could be related somewhere cousins maybe.Now the Thomas Smith from Caldicot I think he is ours.Either him or Edward were Stewards of Caldicot Castle under the Herbert who was Sheriff at time.There were 2 Smiths who were at the same time.They were classed as Gentlemen & I am pretty sure these were related to The Herbert Sheriff whose name escapes for the moment in charge of Caldicot Castle.I am not very well organised so will have to have a search & get back to you,it is in wills  that I found the connection between the Smiths & Herberts in that area'Will get back to you again xx

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 25 August 17 22:46 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. You need to make 2 or 3 posts on a board before you can PM people, that's to prevent spammers. If you make one more post here, just say "hallo" you should then be able to PM Elizlloyd.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 26 August 17 09:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Groom,

Thanks for letting me know about sending a PM to someone  oops have edited this post as realise your message was not meant for me, sorry about that.

Kind Regards

Elizlloyd
Way, Haydon, Sharland, Frost, Gunn, Searles, Carew, Jones, Gould, Smith, Featherstone, Lloyd,

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 26 August 17 09:10 BST (UK) »
Hi  Helen Louise,

Thank you for your replies and all the information contained within the two posts, I am busily noting all this down and keen to share information that I have with on you on my Vere Smith family line. 

Kind Regards

Elizlloyd