Author Topic: Look up Request for Elizabeth Herbert born about 1710 Monmouthshire  (Read 5948 times)

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Look up Request for Elizabeth Herbert born about 1710 Monmouthshire
« Reply #27 on: Monday 28 August 17 10:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen Louise

I have found a John Smith baptised 11 July 1773, St Mary, Monmouth, Monmouthshire the son of Mary on FindmyPast would this be Vere Herbert Smith and your Edward's father.

Elizlloyd
Way, Haydon, Sharland, Frost, Gunn, Searles, Carew, Jones, Gould, Smith, Featherstone, Lloyd,

Offline Helen Louise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 28 August 17 20:57 BST (UK) »
I did look this up once before but not sure Vere Herbert Smith is not Edwards brother your Vere Smith is Edwards brother. Edward was born 1805 & Vere 1806 approx as in parish records I think they were born in the same year as I 1st thought they were Twins but I don' think they were but about 11 months or so apart.I have never seen Herbert included in his name.So I am confused why you have said Vere Herbert Smith & MY  Edward.He is related somehow but as cousins probably distant .I thought you said you were decended from Vere Smiths daughter Susan,who is Edwards brother.Vere Herbert Smith is a different line to ours eventually we might come together.You have to be very careful with Smiths as there are so many of them & you can't attach yourself to one just because you think it's right you have to have evidence or you will be researching the wrong line Vere Herbert Smith was a very rich man who had a silk drapers in Abergavenny & inherited it from his father as he was the oldest son & as far as I am aware not a brother to MyEdward or His brother Vere.Vere married in Penhow church married an Elizabeth had a daughter Susan.Vere Herbert married an Elizabeth as well.They are not the same person.If Vere Herbert Smith had a daughter Susan Smith as well then you will have to work out which one you come from.Where did your Susan live might give you a clue my Edwards bother lived near Risca ,Vere Herbert lived always in Abergavenny. x

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 02 September 17 13:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen Louise,

Thank you for your reply - I have edited this family taking Vere Herbert Smith out as I think he was confusing me and his information in relation to this family and have detailed my own famly below...

Susan Smith my 2xGreat Grandmother Baptised 1840 Penhowe.
Parents -   Vere Smith Baptised 19 May 1806, St Bridget, St Bride's Netherwent
Father JOHN
(FreeREG) 

married Elizabeth Thomas. my 3 x Great Grandparents married 14 Dec 1832 St John Church, Penhow. Monmouthsire.
other Children from their marriage:
Mary Smith baptised 1833 Penhow/e.
Hannah Smith baptised 1834 Penhow/e.
Thomas Smith baptised 1838 Penhow/e.
Susan Smith - as above
William Smith baptised 1843 Penhow/e.
Maria Smith baptised 1846 Penhow/e.

4 x Great Grandparents John and Elizabeth - Im still searching for a marriage for them.. their children...

Your Edward Smith, 26 Jul 1804, Father John. Baptised St Bridget. St Bride's Netherwent.

My Vere Smith Baptised 19 May 1806, St Bridget, St Bride's Netherwent

Edward and Vere's Sister Elizabeth Smith 30 March 1817, Parents JOHN/ELIZABETH
Baptised St Bridget. St Bride's Netherwent;

This is as far as I have gone back and would welcome any further information that you might have with the hope of finding about more about this family.

Kind Regards

Elizlloyd
Way, Haydon, Sharland, Frost, Gunn, Searles, Carew, Jones, Gould, Smith, Featherstone, Lloyd,

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 02 September 17 17:23 BST (UK) »
Just found a Marriage record for John Smith Married Elizabeth Jones 8th Feb 1796. St Mary's Church, Monmouth, Monmouthshire, which is close to Caldicot.  Hopefully I have picked the right marriage and church...

Kind regards

Elizlloyd

Offline Helen Louise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 02 September 17 18:33 BST (UK) »
Good I think you & I are on the same path as me now, I too agree with the John Smith marriage to Elizabeth.But from here now gets hard. Still looking but the ones you posted earlier in Caldicot might be right

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 19:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen Louise,

I have searched for a birth/baptism date and place for John Smith father of Edward, Vere and Elizabeth and wondered if you could help me please with this information.

Kind Regards

Elizlloyd

Offline Helen Louise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 07 September 17 09:58 BST (UK) »
Have been looking for John Smith & further back for about 10 years on & off.Went back to Chepstow where the Smiths seem to have come from but the Parish records have very little information only saying fathers name & there are 2 brothers,who like I said before kept calling their sons the same names..All I can suggest is you research common names to our line ,What happened to the Caldicot ones,which I thought might well be our line.So names Thomas,Edward,John Vere.Did Vere have any sons ?If so what did he call them ?I know our 2 brothers kept in touch as Edward's son John married a girl from Risca,as they didn't normally travel around too much,am assuming that's how he met her.It's really hard now as even the 1841 census gives very little detail. x Helen

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 07 September 17 15:02 BST (UK) »
Well Vere Smith 19 May 1806 and Elizabeth Nee Thomas  see Marriage record in Link https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBPRS/WAL/4394431/00889&parentid=GBPRS/M/913106844/1

They had the following children..Baptised in St Mary's Church Monmouth. 

Mary Smith Baptised 31 March 1833
Hannah Smith Baptised 16 Nov 1834
Thomas Smith Baptised 21 Jan 1838
Susan Smith Baptised 7 Sept 1840  My 2 x Great Grandmother..
William Smith Baptised 18 Jan 1843
Maria Smith Baptised 24 May 1846.

and yes still searching for more information working back from John Smith still trying to find his birth / baptism date amd place of birth.. and noticed on Gwent Archives typed in Vere Herbert and wife Margaret, comes up with lots of information dating back to 14th and 15th century. and mentions their son William Herbert.   So I guess we descend from one of William Herbert's children... ?

Then there is a gap from this William Herbert to our John Smith which im now looking at... so agree this will take time and be something to do over the winter months  :)  so an ongoing project and appreciate your information that you have given.

Nice to see that Edward and his family and Vere and his family did stay close and in the same area and supported each other.

I will keep in touch and let you know if I find anything else. Elizlloyd x

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 02 October 17 18:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen Louise,

I looked on this link and it gives a baptism for a John Smith 12 Sept 1779 Chepstow, son of John Smith and Anne
From:http://forest-of-dean.net/joomla/index.php/parish-records-search.

I wondered if this was the right baptism record for our John Smith

Also if you have any further information on the dates for Sir Thomas Smith so I can add him to my records.

Thanks

Elizlloyd