Author Topic: Look up Request for Elizabeth Herbert born about 1710 Monmouthshire  (Read 5962 times)

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Look up Request for Elizabeth Herbert born about 1710 Monmouthshire
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 21 October 17 09:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen Louise

Have seen this information below:-

This is the baptism for John Smith ...and his siblings and also parents marriage ..

John bp 30 May 1763 son of Thomas Smith in Llanfihangel juxta Roggiet

siblings also baptised in same parish same father.  Marriage for Thomas Smith (bpt 13 Nov 1729 St Mary Church, Caldicot)   married Mary Taylor 17 May 1756 in Magor, Monmouthshire. (On marriage licence witnessed by a Vere Smith (his father)  bt 5 Oct 1726 son of Edward Smith of caldicot)

Edward bp 14 Feb 1758
Thomas bp 5 Oct 1759
Vere bp 7 July 1761

Vere son of Edward Smith bp 5 Oct 1726 in Caldicot, so possible for Thomas son of Edward Smith bp 13 Nov 1729 also in Caldicot.

and Thomas Smith bapt 13 Nov 1729 St Mary Church, Caldicot son of Edward Smith of Caldicot,
Edward's daughter Ann buried 8 Oct 1731. I wondered if she was named after Edward's wife possibly named Ann ??? maybe an Ann Herbert....???

I would really welcome help in finding a marriage for Edward Smith ........possibly around  1700 to 1726 in Caldicot or surrounding parishes.................

could this Edward Smith have been a steward of Caldicot Castle ?  and a son in law of Vere Herbert and Margaret.

look forward to hearing from you  :)

Elizlloyd

Have been looking for John Smith & further back for about 10 years on & off.Went back to Chepstow where the Smiths seem to have come from but the Parish records have very little information only saying fathers name & there are 2 brothers,who like I said before kept calling their sons the same names..All I can suggest is you research common names to our line ,What happened to the Caldicot ones,which I thought might well be our line.So names Thomas,Edward,John Vere.Did Vere have any sons ?If so what did he call them ?I know our 2 brothers kept in touch as Edward's son John married a girl from Risca,as they didn't normally travel around too much,am assuming that's how he met her.It's really hard now as even the 1841 census gives very little detail. x Helen
Way, Haydon, Sharland, Frost, Gunn, Searles, Carew, Jones, Gould, Smith, Featherstone, Lloyd,

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Look up Request for Elizabeth Herbert born about 1710 Monmouthshire
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen Louise do you have a family tree on Ancestry I can follow.. and keen to keep in contact with you Kind Regards  Elizlloyd

I did look this up once before but not sure Vere Herbert Smith is not Edwards brother your Vere Smith is Edwards brother. Edward was born 1805 & Vere 1806 approx as in parish records I think they were born in the same year as I 1st thought they were Twins but I don' think they were but about 11 months or so apart.I have never seen Herbert included in his name.So I am confused why you have said Vere Herbert Smith & MY  Edward.He is related somehow but as cousins probably distant .I thought you said you were decended from Vere Smiths daughter Susan,who is Edwards brother.Vere Herbert Smith is a different line to ours eventually we might come together.You have to be very careful with Smiths as there are so many of them & you can't attach yourself to one just because you think it's right you have to have evidence or you will be researching the wrong line Vere Herbert Smith was a very rich man who had a silk drapers in Abergavenny & inherited it from his father as he was the oldest son & as far as I am aware not a brother to MyEdward or His brother Vere.Vere married in Penhow church married an Elizabeth had a daughter Susan.Vere Herbert married an Elizabeth as well.They are not the same person.If Vere Herbert Smith had a daughter Susan Smith as well then you will have to work out which one you come from.Where did your Susan live might give you a clue my Edwards bother lived near Risca ,Vere Herbert lived always in Abergavenny. x
Way, Haydon, Sharland, Frost, Gunn, Searles, Carew, Jones, Gould, Smith, Featherstone, Lloyd,