Author Topic: HARWELL, ST MATTHEWS MARRIAGE 1744 - Brown/Blissett  (Read 1955 times)

Offline Paul33

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HARWELL, ST MATTHEWS MARRIAGE 1744 - Brown/Blissett
« on: Tuesday 07 March 17 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Is anybody able to help me with a marriage look-up at the Berkshire Record Office ?

The marriage was on 2nd October 1744 at St Matthew, Harwell and was between a MARY BROWN and a RICHARD BLISSETT/BLISSET/BLYSET.

The information I'm looking for relates to Richard and any identifiers that will help determine which of many Richards he was ..... ie: DOB/Age/Parents

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: HARWELL, ST MATTHEWS MARRIAGE 1744 - Brown/Blissett
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 11:22 GMT (UK) »
It is unlikely any extra info would be included on that record.

It is transcribed on FreeREG, just names, date, Church, Bachelor/Spinster, both of Harwell at time of Marriage, no witnesses named.

FreeREG has 12 Brown/Browne Marriages in Harwell 1603-1812 and 15 Blissett/Blisset Marriages 1744-1836.
http://freereg1.freereg.org.uk

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Paul33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you !

Maybe I could grab a piece of your expertise here. The Richard Blissett is either a 1721 Hagbourne Richard or a 1728 Blewbury Richard and opinion seems divided with other researchers albeit most favour the 1721 chap. The fact he married in 1744 thus would only be 16 ..... does that rule out the 1728 Richard in your view ?

Any input appreciated !

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Yes, the 1721 Richard is more likely to me.

Where did Richard/Mary live and Baptise their Children ?
Also naming patterns can help when trying to find Parents.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul,

To add to the info you already have; the Harwell transcripts have; "a lodger in this parish" added
against  Richard's entry.
No "Blissett/Blisot/Blissit" baptisms before 1745 in Harwell.

Mary Brown bapt... 5-5-1723 d/o John & Mary

The Richard bapt. in Hagbourne 16-7-1721 s/o John & Mary seems the right person to me as they are adjoing parishes.

Should you wish to go with this Richard, then his parents married 24-11-1706, Hagbourne John Blisset to Mary Deaman.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Sometimes a child might be named after a favourite sibling of the parents particularly if they died young. The Richard from Hagbourne has sisters Bridgett and Phillis - slightly unusual names.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 12:04 GMT (UK) »
The Oct 2 1744 marriage is on CD and, interestingly, does give a little bit more info. Mary is described as of this parish but Richard is 'a lodger in this parish'.

I have Blissets in my tree as well (also worth searching under BLIZZARD) - but they are a little bit earlier than this and from Blewbury.

Richard and Mary's first son is named John and is baptised in Harwell Aug 4 1745, so that could be an indication as to the name of Richard's father if you apply the naming pattern theory.

The 1728 Blewbury baptism has parents Richard & Elizabeth: the 1721 Hagbourne baptism has parents John & Mary.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Paul33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all of your help on this one.

All of Richard and Mary's many children were born in Harwell.

Offline Paul33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 13:58 GMT (UK) »
I'm going to abuse your expertise and time here so apologies but you are good at what you do !

I'm happy that I have the right Richard Blissett now ...... and the naming of his first son does fit perfectly with the father of the 1721 Richard.

I'm also happy from past research that Richard's parents were JOHN BLISSETT (b.1681 Sutton Courtenay) and MARY DEADMAN and I'm happy that John's parents are CHRISTOFER BLISSETT (b.1649 Blewbury) and ANN KIMBER but who are Christofer's parents ?

Other researchers have his father as ROBERT BLISSETT (b.1572 Somerset m.1591 Elizabeth Staice @ Blewbury) but that is surely too big an age gap and would suggest he was 77 when he fathered Christofer !!!

Again, any thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated !