Author Topic: German Pork Butchers in Britain - 2  (Read 35948 times)

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
Re: German Pork Butchers in Britain - 2
« Reply #27 on: Monday 18 March 19 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Drop me a line if you require any further info Henry

Best Regards

Johnbhoy
Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

England (Carlisle); Ashbridge,Armstrong, Cavers, Wall, Dixon
England (Blackpool) Hall, Barker
Germany (Hohebach,Württemberg) Wahl

Offline Henry Holborn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 18 March 19 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you so much for your response. The material you have sent is extremely insightful. I am writing a research project on enemy aliens in Lancaster during WW1 and was wondering if you would allow permission for it to be used there? It would not be published in public and would form part of the project. That is incredible to hear about the family having looked at the census material. Do you have anymore information about Christian after the war and their family. Do you know how Mary Dixon and their children was helped, was it the local salvation army in Lancaster? Anymore information on how they experienced xenophobia would be interesting.
Thank you for sharing your material.

With best wishes,

Henry

Offline Henry Holborn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 18 March 19 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Again,

Just another quick note. It is interesting that Chritian was interned in 1914 then released. It does not say where he was initially interned, but I have an assumption it might have been Lancaster. This is because Newspaper reports suggest 4 people from the district were interned in 1914 there, which could have included him. Furthermore, the date of his release corresponds with the closing of the Lancaster prison, which makes sense why he was then re-inturned in Handforth Cheshire in July 1915. By that time enforcement and internment of aliens had grown in scale as a reaction to the sinking of the Lusitania and the change in government. Hope this is helpful. If you have anymore info about his release at the end of the war I would be fascinated to know.

Kind regards,

Henry

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 18 March 19 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Henry

You may use the above for your project, no problem.
Unfortunately, I do not have much information from that time period in Lancaster, as it wasn't really spoken about, and never passed down through the Wall Family.
I did contact the Co-Op in Lancaster where Christian was employed as a Butcher, but they understandably, could not provide any information or records, of Christians employment there.
I would believe that Mary joined the Salvationists in Lancaster, but it's something I never chased up.
I'm not sure when they returned to Carlisle from Lancaster after Christians release from internment, maybe there was not a job opening left for him at the Co-Op on his release?
I'll check my records, and see if I have any more info for you

Johnbhoy
Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

Offline Henry Holborn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 18 March 19 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Here is  a photo of a newspaper report from I think November 1914 in the Lancaster Guardian. At the very end it states 4 aliens from the district were interned. Christian could have been one of them.

Best wishes,
Henry

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 18 March 19 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Again,

Just another quick note. It is interesting that Chritian was interned in 1914 then released. It does not say where he was initially interned, but I have an assumption it might have been Lancaster. This is because Newspaper reports suggest 4 people from the district were interned in 1914 there, which could have included him. Furthermore, the date of his release corresponds with the closing of the Lancaster prison, which makes sense why he was then re-inturned in Handforth Cheshire in July 1915. By that time enforcement and internment of aliens had grown in scale as a reaction to the sinking of the Lusitania and the change in government. Hope this is helpful. If you have anymore info about his release at the end of the war I would be fascinated to know.

Kind regards,

Henry

Yes I had noted that Christian had been released and then reinterned, when I first started researching, & could not understand why. Your information about the closing of Lancaster prison, may be the answer

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 18 March 19 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Here is  a photo of a newspaper report from I think November 1914 in the Lancaster Guardian. At the very end it states 4 aliens from the district were interned. Christian could have been one of them.

Best wishes,
Henry

I have not seen that before Henry, thanks for posting, very interesting reading

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 18 March 19 14:07 GMT (UK) »
A photo of the Family after the War, going by their ages, probably taken in Carlisle

Offline Henry Holborn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 18 March 19 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Wow incredible photographs. Interesting to hear that they stayed in the UK as many migrated. If you have any other material such as letters or notes I would love to read/ look at them.

all the best,

Henry