Author Topic: German Pork Butchers in Britain - 2  (Read 35972 times)

Offline Sentinel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: German Pork Butchers in Britain - 2
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 12:05 BST (UK) »
I would be interested in finding out more regarding the Abendschein family.

Offline Histres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 16 May 19 00:15 BST (UK) »

Hello Sentinel, I found an Abendschein family in a German archive in Hohenlohe. They lived in Stachenhausen. Two of the children emigrated to England.
Regards
Histres
German pork butchers in Britain and in Ireland

Offline Sentinel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 18 May 19 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Histres
The two children who emigrated to England were Johan Jakob (b 1832) and Karl Friedrich (b 1841) both of whom set up as pork butchers in the north east of England.
Regards
Sentinel

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 18 May 19 13:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Sentinel,

Welcome to Rootschat :)

are you more interested in their lives in Britain, or also in their ancestors in Germany ?

Here are a couple of links, where you might be able to find out more:

The RootsChat German Pork Butchers Database
Searching for ABENDSCHEIN shows 4 entries
http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/dbsig/dbsig-quick-search.php?dbsig_num=2&letter=A&surname=ABENDSCHEIN
All entries are from 'paulne', who has said here (with some details)
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=767549.0
that she is related to this family. Perhaps you could get in touch with her.

And if you enter ABENDSCHEIN in the RootsChat search box, there is another mention of a Johan Jakob A.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=438133.0

Good luck!

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Histres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 18 May 19 14:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara,
You will find out more about the Mogerleys when you use this link that leads you to the databose of German pork butchers in Britain.
http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/dbsig/dbsig-quick-search.php?dbsig_num=2&surname=MÖGERLE#top_data
Just click on the magnifying glass to the left of the surnames to get more information about each specific person. 
Margaret Mogerley may also be of interest to you.
Good luck,
Histres

Offline Histres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 18 May 19 15:20 BST (UK) »

Hello Sentinel,
As Berlin Bob pointed out, there are also three different Abendscheins in the German pork butcher database. They were from NIEDERSTETTEN. The records were created by "Paulne". Unluckily Niederstetten was spelled wrongly by her. It also seems as if "Paulne" is in contact with another relative who also is related to the Abendscheins. Perhaps you can get in touch with her to exchange information.
Best wishes
Histres

Offline Sentinel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Histres
I will contact Paulne as you suggest and reply to Berlin-Bob.  Hopefully I will then have enough postings to have a conversation with somebody!  Thanks for your help.
Peter :)

Offline Sentinel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Berlin-Bob

Many thanks for your reply and I will follow up the leads that you suggest.

I'm interested in the Abendschein family as I also have pork butcher ancestors who came from Niederstetten (Friederich family).  I have discovered that one of my 2nd great aunts married an Abendschein and was the mother to the Johan Jacob Abendschein and Karl Friederich Abendschein who settled in the north east of England.

I'm therefore interested to know more about what happened to the family and whether there are any remaining descendants, to whom I would be distantly related!

Thanks for your help.

Peter

Offline LouRoll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 24 June 20 18:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am new to RootsChat, and this is my first message.

I am searching on my German ancestors, who came from around Künzelsau, Württemberg, to Wakefield, Yorkshire, in the first half of the 19th century to work as ‘’Pork Butchers and Bacon Factors’’ (census quote).

These are Frederick, Louis (Ludwig) Roll (said to be born about 1820) and his wife Dorothea, born Fisher (said to be around 1815). They lived in Kirkgate, Wakefield, as shown in the 1851 and 1861 Wakefield census, and are shown to have been both naturalized English.

I am a descendant of one of their children, Frederick, Louis, Roll, who was born on November 29, 1852, in Wakefield (I have the birth certificate), and who married Alma Bagshaw in Gravesend, Kent, on November 22, 1878 (I have a copy of the marriage certificate).

I would be grateful for any help on the following topics:

. finding their date and place of birth in Germany, most likely around Künzelsau, Württemberg, and maybe identifying their German parents. .
. finding the time when they emigrated to Yorkshire, England.
. identifying the wife’s full identity: she is shown with a  maiden name of Dorothea Fisher, but the 1851 census shows a widowed ‘mother in law’ in the Family, listed as Rosina Hoffman (shown as born in about 1787 in Germany)…could this mean that Dorothea’s actual maiden name would have been Hoffman, and that she married a first time with a Mr. Fisher, who may have died early so that she re-married with Frederick, Louis, Roll?
. finding their date and place of death.
. finding the date when their son Frederick, Louis, Roll and his wife Alma Roll (born Bagshaw) left England to immigrate to Bordeaux, Aquitaine, France (and switching in the process from pork butcher and bacon factor to wine trader), where they died respectively in 1916 and 1914.

Thanking you for any guidance Rootschat members may provide,

Best regards,

LouRoll