Author Topic: German Pork Butchers in Britain - 2  (Read 35792 times)

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: German Pork Butchers in Britain - 2
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 March 17 17:49 GMT (UK) »
thanks Histres, though it was a private message I sent to Richard.  I have emailed you.

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 21 April 17 08:49 BST (UK) »
Total inconvenience trying to find the locked thread and the new thread, and having to try and cross reference, takes the fun out of it all   ::) ::) ::)
Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

England (Carlisle); Ashbridge,Armstrong, Cavers, Wall, Dixon
England (Blackpool) Hall, Barker
Germany (Hohebach,Württemberg) Wahl

Offline Ericsson41

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 25 June 17 17:08 BST (UK) »
Just come across this.  Most interesting.  My mother-in-law's cousin Elsie Mallows married John Funk, a pork butcher of 50-52 Ellesmere Road, in Sheffield in April 1937.  John was the son of George John Funk and Margerete Sophie Kantenwein.  They married at St Philip's church Sheffield on 13th December 1885.  This ties in with info from Richard Funk on the database.  John Funk, now known as John Ford, died on 12th November 1942.  At the time, he and Elsie kept the Brunswick Hotel on Haymarket.  His mother died a couple of years later aged 79 (she had lived with her unmarried sister Sophia Kantenwein at 52 Crabtree Lane Pitsmoor.  I have noted the likely birthplaces of John George Funk and Margarete Sophia Kantenwein in Richard Funks database, but in the 1901 census this was referred to (for both) as something like "Brabe Sabfeld", Germany.  Can anyone suggest what this should be?

By the way, I note there is still an F Funk, Port Butcher trading at 65 Middlewood Road, Sheffield and in my 1991 telephone directory there was an R Funk living in Sheffield 6.  Richard, perhaps?     

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 25 June 17 18:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Ericsson,

Welcome to RootsChat :)
and to the German Pork Butchers group :)

In the RootsChat database German Pork Butchers
http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/dbsig/
there are a lot of FUNKs, and they all seem to come from Belsenberg in Baden-Württemberg (BWU).
http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/dbsig/dbsig-quick-search.php?letter1=F&letter2=13&dbsig_num=2#top_data

There are also many KANTENWEIN, mostly from Morsbach (BWU)
http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/dbsig/dbsig-quick-search.php?letter1=K&letter2=0&dbsig_num=2#top_data

Regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Ericsson41

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 26 June 17 07:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bob.

I've added some notes to the record for Sophia Kantenwein.

Offline Ericsson41

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 26 June 17 08:21 BST (UK) »
...and also some for George Funk.

Offline Ericsson41

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 13:53 BST (UK) »
Oops!  Red face time.  I had another look at the "Brabe Sabfeld" ref. today and took a pic intending to send it to the expert translators.  But then it hit me that "Brabe Sabfeld" was much nearer to home than south west Germany.  It actually said "British Subject".  Clear as a bell!  Glad that's sorted.

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 14 October 17 16:19 BST (UK) »
Looking through the DBSIG, I notice 2 x Families that settled in the Carlisle area when they emigrated in the 19th century. Does anyone else on the Forum have an ancestor that settled in the area of Cumbria / Cumberland.
Also, does anyone have an ancestor that settled in Lancaster

johnbhoy
Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 13 August 18 16:57 BST (UK) »
Note to self: must remember to update my profile, when I change my email address! I've missed a few messages, apologies  :-[