Author Topic: German Pork Butchers in Britain - 2  (Read 35939 times)

Offline limehouse79

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: German Pork Butchers in Britain - 2
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 11 July 20 13:46 BST (UK) »
Hi LouRoll

Frederick Roll married Dorothea Fisher on 10 March 1844 at St John's Church in Wakefield.  Frederick's father is noted as Henry Roll, Gentleman and Dorothea's father as Charles Fisher, Grocer.  Witnesses were Louis Sehwald? and P Septinstall.  Source - Ancestry
Frederick/Friedrich is included on the german pork butcher database under ID 679 and Dorothea Hoffmann ID 357 with a note that this couple married.  Both entries by Histres. 
There is a citizenship declaration for Francois Roll born 17 November 1820 with a birthplace Saverne in the Ancestry records in the Alsace-Lorraine, Germany, French Citizenship Declarations.  This is dated 22 September 1872.  I cannot see any UK Naturalisations for Frederick Roll.

Hope this may be helpful.

limehouse79
Dünger, Burkert, Diez, Wolfarth, Ellinger, Rathmann, Saile (Germany) and Webb, Pearce, Chegwidden, Trevethan and Bailey (Cornwall)

Offline LouRoll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 21 July 20 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hi limehouse79,

Thanks for your message with answers to my intial questions.

Your initial indications match what I have learned in the meantime from German sources.
However, the second part, about a French 'Francois Roll' does not seem to relate to my own ascendants (the name Roll being common in Germany, Switzerland and North-Eastern France).

I have also learned that Ludwig, Friedrich Roll, who married Christine Dorothea Fischer in 1844, was a son of Georg Heinrich ROLL (15.01.1793 Künzelsau, † 13.12.1867 Künzelsau) and
Rosina Magdalena KRÄMER (09.04.1789 in Künzelsau, † 17.10.1872 in Künzelsau) who married in Künzelsau on 07.02.1815.

For your information, Ludwig, Friedrich Roll and Christine Dorothea (Fischer) had 5 children in Wakefield. Three of them ultimately returned to Künzelsau, Württemberg, Germany, while the 5th one, Friedrich/Frederick, Ludwig/Louis, who was born in 1852 in Wakefield, Yorkshire, married Alma Bagshaw (from Gravesend, Kent) and emigrated to Bordeaux, France where they settled and had four children.

Best regards,

LouRoll

Offline horpeline

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 07 May 21 12:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am new to this forum so please apologize if I am not using it correctly!

We saw the entry of Lorenz Eichhorn (#28186) in the database and are curious to connect with descendants! We are descendants of the Hempel family; with whom he had opened a butchery in Perth, Australia and have some materials like photographs etc that we thought could be interesting for the family and wanted to share.

Thank you!

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 17 August 21 11:33 BST (UK) »
I have been reading this thread, and was particularly struck by the reply: #21 on: Friday 09 October 2009 at 21:34 BST, from Bongo Ali, (re: German Pork Butchers in Britain - 1) which included this totally fascinating link:

http://www.manxnotebook.com/fulltext/sh1920/ch07.htm

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Gervaise94

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 04 November 22 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am a descendant of German pork butcher William Hees (Johann Karl Wilhelm Hees) son of Daniel Hees and Anne Maria Mueller. I already have quite a lot of info on him courtesy of other RC members but welcome any more about him and to fill in the gaps. Also interested to learn more generally about German Butchers in the Black Country, Bauer casings, internment camps etc.

Happy to provide info to anyone else researching Hees!

Some info on him:

Born in 1867 Bopfingen Germany, parents Daniel Hees and Anna Maria Mueller
He lived in poverty, his early family life was filled with hardship
Moved to Bad Mergentheim in 1851
Confirmed in protestant church in Bad Mergentheim
Emigrated to Birmingham in 1895, worked in a sausage factory
Married Catherine Goodman in 1899 in Birmingham (She was an Irish catholic from Whitechapel)
Worked at Bauer Casings in Wolverhampton 1899 onwards
Interned during WW2 at Surrey first followed by Knockaloe, Isle of Man
Separated from wife sometime between then and 1948, his death in Wolverhampton aged 82.

I was also in touch with the Knockaloe internment camp archive who was very helpful and said she will look out for any information. It's worth doing if you are connected to this camp through your German ancestor. Here is the latest email she sent me:

"Living so close together in wooden huts within in a compound surrounded by barbed wire was an extremely difficult experience for most of the men, particularly those men with families at home, and we explore the impact of life in internment at all of the camps on the internees and their families in detail at the Visitors Centre and it is here that we collate the records on every internee held at any Camp in the British Isles. We have information shared with us all of the time relating to well over 40,000 men who were interned in the British Isles, so we shall look out for anything we can find specifically relating to William during his time in internment at Knockaloe and the other camps.

Although there is no photograph or other information specifically referenced to William that I can see as yet, now that we have completed this stage of research and as we progress we shall start to drill down into the more detailed information as we get it collated over the coming months and years. Your completed GDPR signatures allow us to contact you as anything becomes referenced as directly relevant to him."

Northampton: Patenall
Wolverhampton: Butler, Hees
Isle of Wight/Hampshire: Caws
Wiltshire: Barnes, Bowman, Lewis
Whitechapel / Cork: Harrington, Sullivan

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 04 November 22 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Can you supply a contact for Knockaloe please.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Gervaise94

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 04 November 22 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Northampton: Patenall
Wolverhampton: Butler, Hees
Isle of Wight/Hampshire: Caws
Wiltshire: Barnes, Bowman, Lewis
Whitechapel / Cork: Harrington, Sullivan

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 04 November 22 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Excellent.  Thanks.  :D

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 04 November 22 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Excellent.  Thanks.  :D