Author Topic: William Wells - Boscastle/Padstow  (Read 7204 times)

Offline JosiahS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Wells - Boscastle/Padstow
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 08 October 19 19:01 BST (UK) »
Hello David

You have got back as far as I have.  Two notes though:I believe Elizabeth Cooper to be the Elizabeth Hellyar who married James Cooper at Bristol St Peter & St James 12 Jun 1766.  Her age at death matches pretty much mathces up with the baptism of Elizabeth Hellier in Padstow 10 Jul 1741 and would explain why she would return there after her husband's death. 

Rather than the Charles J born 1724 I have the one bap 17 jan 1718 to Charles J and Ann unknown.  Charles senior bap 29 Sep 1695 so of Charles J and Grace Richards

As regards William Wells' two wives the first was Amelia Long b 1840 Gosport, d Q2 1887 Strand Registration District, the second was a widow Lucy Jane Pullen nee Collins b 1844 Westbourne Sussex whom he married 3 Feb 1889 Fulham St Peter

I presume you have William's naval records which are available online?  Was in China for the second Opium War. If you go to http://www.wattis.com.hk/gallery yu can find contemporary paintings of HMS Imperieuse lying off both Hong Kong and China.

I hope that helps

Ashley
DU: Jones, Miller, Laverick, Orwin, Burn, Finlay, Robson, Robinson, Jobling, Fenwick, Spoor, Saunders, Billingsley, Appleby
NB: Pickard, Gilchrist, Curry, Heron, Thompson, Bell, Henderson, Aynsley
CU: Bell, Armstrong, Parker
SY: Saunders, Bartlett, Ellis
SX: Bartlett, Cager
BK: Saunders
NY: Miller (Swaledale), Raw
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline frogmorelodge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 08 October 19 20:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Ashley,

I thought you might have got back further, but I see St Ives records dry up around that time.
Yes I’ve seen the Naval records and the Wattis drawing...I even asked about its price...over £1,000 as I recall...I took a screenprint! I believe I shared information with you about 2nd China War (medal awarded, no clasp, probably long since pawned) and the boats William had served on.

So you don’t have Charles J and Amy Quick in the direct line? What led you to favour Charles and Ann instead?  I asked about Williams’ two wives in case you had concluded if it was bigamy or a death had slipped past the records!

Thanks
David

Offline frogmorelodge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ashley and all,

Hope you are keeping safe and well in these challenging times!
I’m just picking up my research again with the benefit of some Christmas downtime and looking at siblings and their marriages etc. I’ve gone back over something I’d missed in one of your replies to me Ashley re William Wells b Boscastle 1834 having sons James and Edwin who trails had gone cold.
I don’t have a son James in my tree and was wondering where you found him?

Also, regarding Albert Thomas, husband of Florence Parkinson, I was wondering if you too had come across him as a member of the Cheshire regiment, Machine Gun Corps then Tanks Corps? It seems to fit and has “Florence” as next of kin but I just question why the Cheshire Regiment?

Some other details I’ve found which you may be interested in, if you don’t already have them:

George Jenkyn b 1837 Boscastle appears on Royal Navy Reserve Service records  1861 (Nat Archive) I haven’t ordered the papers as yet.

William Wells (Jenkyn) was actually born and baptised 1834. Navy record slightly out. (Ambly had called this out).

Williams first wife Amelia d 1887 at Charing Cross Hospital. Buried in common grave in Brompton Cemetery

Williams second wife, Lucy Jane Pullen nee Collins b 13/4/1844 Westbourne Sussex (Father James Collins Dairyman, mother Lucy) previously married Henry Francis PULLEN at St. John the evangelist Notting Hill 30/3/1872

Williams Son George m? Anna (Annie) Ryder b. 1866 Froxfield Wilts (before 1891) police constable lived at Princes Square St. George’s in the East - I haven’t yet found the marriage

William John Wells was also a Constable lived at 126 Manchester Road, Poplar m Sarah Esther Burt bc 1865 Bury St Edmunds lived at 23 Stadium St  20/9/1891 St John’s Chelsea
Sarah May have died 1924 in Chelsea.

Daughter Florence Esther started Cubitt Town School 20/9/97 lived at 26 Seyssel (St) d? 1976 Wandsworth
Florence Esther, dressmaker m Harry Frank Saunders 9/9/1916 Christ church Poplar. Harry, a clerk enlisted at start of WW1 to serve with 4 London Field Ambulance, RAMC, medical discharge d 1977 Havering, residence 316 Green Lane SW16
Son Eric Raymond Saunders b 21/10/1917 Wandsworth bap. St Peter, Acton Green, Ealing. d 9/4/1993 54 Mountview Crescent St Lawrence Southminster. Probate not exc £125k. Wireless operator, was 1st Radio Officer on MV Gloucester arr New York 1944

Williams daughter Amelia b 1872 was employed as a Domestic servant in 1891 living 154 Notting Hill High Street

William’s Son “Earnest” lived at Stoke, Devonport in 1911, Gov dockyard labourer m Elizabeth Jane Bath 25 June 1904 Forrabury bc 1883 Boscastle both living in Plymouth in 1939
Children:
Olive May b 1905 Stonehouse, Devon
Earnest bc 1908 Millbrook Cornwall

Olive May m Albert T Bath b 1900, lived with Earnest and Elizabeth at 8 Bickham pk rd, Plymouth

Bessie Wells b 1908 married Mar 1940 Southwark Frederick Arthur Chettle, photographic finisher b Walworth Jun 1907 d Bromley Mar 1995

Florence Parkinson died (in fact was buried at) Epping 1965

Best regards
David

Offline JosiahS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 22 March 21 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

Sorry just spotted this one!

Going back to the 1881 census I realise that I misread Ernest b 1877 for James - the final 't' is very light on ancestry and I missed it.  Sorry for the confusion.

Thank you also for the additional information.

Ashley
DU: Jones, Miller, Laverick, Orwin, Burn, Finlay, Robson, Robinson, Jobling, Fenwick, Spoor, Saunders, Billingsley, Appleby
NB: Pickard, Gilchrist, Curry, Heron, Thompson, Bell, Henderson, Aynsley
CU: Bell, Armstrong, Parker
SY: Saunders, Bartlett, Ellis
SX: Bartlett, Cager
BK: Saunders
NY: Miller (Swaledale), Raw
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline frogmorelodge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 06 November 22 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ashley,

I am close to concluding my Wells family tree. I have tentatively progressed back beyond Charles and Grace, through the Jenkins of Wendron and St Columb Major back to John Jenken alias Pendyne of Columb St Major d. Before 12 Dec 1504 (when will proved). This tentatively leads to some baronets in a side branch including Sir John Cary of Clovelly where his Jenkins wife is commemorated in the church there.

I also found the account of William Wells brother John being lost at sea in the Royal Cornwall Gazette. He was sailing on the Schooner T.P.C. from Boscastle to Saltash and lost in a gale. I found him also on the vessels Enterprise of Hayle and the smack Peneley.

Happy to provide further details of any of this if you are interested,

One thing I haven’t located is the death of William Wells b. 1834 Boscastle. I found him witnessing daughter Adelaide’s wedding to James Osborne in 1902 and I have a note that he was still around in 1911 at 34 Pitt Street Notting Hill, though due to an iPad dying I can’t retrieve the image of that entry I saved to verify this.

Did you pinpoint Williams death by any chance?

Thanks and regards
David