Author Topic: Alexander Ferrier - death/burial  (Read 987 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Alexander Ferrier - death/burial
« on: Wednesday 08 March 17 13:27 GMT (UK) »
I'm hoping someone can help me locate Alexander Ferrier's burial which should be in Perth but I've not been able to find it either on Scotlands People or on the Perth Burials website.

He married Jean Stewart in Perth in 1781. I haven't found his baptism/birth either but Jean was baptised in Longforgan, Perthshire in 1759. I've found Jean's burial in Greyfriars cemetery in 1810 when she's described as the wife of Alexander, so I'm assuming he was alive at that time (1810).

Alexander was a weaver and  in 1797 when his youngest son John was baptised, the OPR describes Alexander as the Deacon of the Weavers Incorporation of Perth. So you'd think his death would be noted somewhere, wouldn't you?

In a perfect world, his burial - once found -  will give his age at death and so help me to locate his baptism. Oh, that it was that simple!!  ;D

Can anyone with a better knowledge of Perth and surrounding area offer any help or advice?
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Ferrier - death/burial
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Have you already investigated and discounted the deaths shown on SP between 1810-1854?

If all his children remained in Perth then it is reasonable to assume Alexander died there.  However - if any of his children moved out of the area - you cannot ignore the possibility he may have moved from Perth after his wife died

Is it safe to assume he was still alive in 1810 based on a burial record?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 15:28 GMT (UK) »
I wouldn't say its entirely safe to assume he was still alive but burial records do usually say widow of rather than wife of, if the husband predeceased the wife.

I had checked all the burial entries on SP but hadn't paid to open the ones I thought unlikely. I have now extended my search into Angus (where a lot of the Ferriers seem to come from) and have found a possible burial in Dundee in 1823 which describes that Alexr Ferriar (sic) as being a weaver, born in Dundee and 62 years old which, if the right one, would have made him c 20 when he married.

I'm now looking further into this family but so far can find no direct contact to Perth.
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • James Lawrie & Mary Ann Watson (1878)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 15:54 GMT (UK) »
I have the pre-1855 book of MI's for Greyfriars Burying Ground.
There are three indexed under Ferrier.

Block C: no.130: Betsy Ferrier wife of David Ross 31.1.1883, 75 years.

Block C: no.139: lair 82: 1791: by Alex Ferrier deacon of weavers here & wife Jean Stewart, to daughter Ann 24.1.1791 2 years 10 months (west side) (small castle & three skulls with shuttles in mouth, for weavers).

Block C: no.145 (large flat stone) by Andrew Ferrier merchant here, daughter Mary Ann, 10.2.1827, 3 years 9 month.
Lawrie name in Fife (and elsewhere) with all its various spellings.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 15:59 GMT (UK) »
I saw that 1823 entry and wondered as his age is a good fit with a 1765 baptism for Jean making him 3-4yrs older than her when they married.

Difficult to say with any certainty but there are these entries from FS

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XBC3-FT5
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XBD3-J6L

SP has 2 deaths in Kinnell in 1834 and 1835 but no ages shown
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 16:25 GMT (UK) »

Block C: no.139: lair 82: 1791: by Alex Ferrier deacon of weavers here & wife Jean Stewart, to daughter Ann 24.1.1791 2 years 10 months (west side) (small castle & three skulls with shuttles in mouth, for weavers).

Block C: no.145 (large flat stone) by Andrew Ferrier merchant here, daughter Mary Ann, 10.2.1827, 3 years 9 month.

Thanks. That middle one is definitely my couple - and I hadn't got their daughter Ann's death in 1791 so thanks for that. Strange there's no entry for Jean's burial in 1810 or Alexander's whenever. Could Jean's entry in 1810 be under her maiden name of Stewart?
HELP!!!

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 16:36 GMT (UK) »
I saw that 1823 entry and wondered as his age is a good fit with a 1765 baptism for Jean making him 3-4yrs older than her when they married.

Difficult to say with any certainty but there are these entries from FS

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XBC3-FT5
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XBD3-J6L

SP has 2 deaths in Kinnell in 1834 and 1835 but no ages shown

Thanks. I'd seen both those - I suppose it depends just how accurate was the burial entry saying he was born in Dundee: both Arbroath and Kinnell are a few miles away. Having said that, Alexr and Jean did name one of their sons Charles, so perhaps the Arbroath entry has 'legs'. This is how confused I get when I go back to Scottish research!!

I'll just add that their son Charles (my line) was actually baptised Charles Bisset Ferrier (born 1790 in Perth) but I have never been able to work out the Bisset connection, which, of course, might be a clue to something I'm missing!!
HELP!!!

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • James Lawrie & Mary Ann Watson (1878)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 16:43 GMT (UK) »

Thanks. That middle one is definitely my couple - and I hadn't got their daughter Ann's death in 1791 so thanks for that. Strange there's no entry for Jean's burial in 1810 or Alexander's whenever. Could Jean's entry in 1810 be under her maiden name of Stewart?

I've checked all the Stewart (loads of them) entries but I cannae see an entry for Jean Stewart 1810.
The middle entry is under Ferrier & Stewart.
Lawrie name in Fife (and elsewhere) with all its various spellings.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for looking.
HELP!!!