Author Topic: Alexander and Janet English Dalziel  (Read 14518 times)

Offline nathandl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Alexander and Janet English Dalziel
« on: Wednesday 27 July 05 21:07 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I'm looking for information about an Alexander Dalziel and Janet English Dalziel who settled in Wigtownshire in mid 19th century.  They had 5 children Andrew Dalziel - Whithorn; Alexander Dalziel - Edinburgh; Grace Dalziel - died young; Robert Dalziel and Elizabeth Dalziel.  Alexander and Janet came from Ireland originally ... would be so much appreciated ... been stuck at this point for some time.

Many thanx:
Nathan Dalziel
Iowa, US

Offline woodydog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander and Janet English Dalziel
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 July 05 07:34 BST (UK) »
Hello- could you give us any more information? Birth years for Alexander & Janet maybe or the details from the most recent census that you have them on- I'm in Wigtownshire so I might be able to help if you can give us more to work on.
All the best
Rose
Pratt- Catterick/Richmond N.Yorks & Wilsden/Halifax West Yorks
Maylor- Preston/ Poulton Le Fylde
Whitaker- Halifax
Dixon- London & Yorkshire
Booth-Middleton,Oldham,Royton,Lancs
Boyling-Oldham,Royton & Shropshire
Harris- Bradford, Prestwich Manchester
SMITH!! Kirkcaldy, Manchester
Sturgess-  Preston Candover, Hampshire & London
Nixon- London
Walters- London & Hampshire
Settle - Halifax & Brighouse
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nathandl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 July 05 13:29 BST (UK) »
Well, this is all the information i have so far ... Alexander and Janet both came from Northern Ireland.  They were married in Ireland and passed over to Stranraer, Scotland  and finally to Wigtownshire.  Also an interesting piece of information ... Alexander and Janet died wihtin hours of each other and were buried the same day...  I know the oldest son Andrew was born ca. 1844 ... in Whithorn.  He and wife Georgina are buried at St. Ninians Cemetary, Whithorn.    I will try to find more specific dates on Alexander and Janet...

Many Thanks
Nathan

Offline woodydog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 July 05 17:56 BST (UK) »
UUUUUMMMM! Now I am confused- the only census info that I have access to at home are the 1881 on disc & 1851 census online.
In 1881 I've found Andrew Married to Georgina living at 4 Drummond Hill Cottage, Whithorn  with their 7 children- Janet-15,Elizabeth 11, John 9, Isabella 6, Grace4, George 3, & Samuel 1, all children bar Janet are born in Glasserton- Andrew,Georgina & Janet born Whithorn.
So checking back to 1851 living at Claymoddie in Glasserton parish children Andrew,Alexander, Robert, Elizabeth & Agnes BUT......
the father is Samuel- head- farm labourer(yearly) age 36 born Ireland with Wife Elizabeth age 31 born Whithorn!  I can't find an Alexander or Janet born in Ireland or elsewhere with any children that match your names at all so can you tell me how you know that Andrew's parents are definitely Alexander & Janet. Just to let you know Stranraer is also in Wigtownshire but the main route over from Ireland at that time was to Portpatrick(also in Wigtownshire).

Let me know what you think about the census info I've given you but for now I'm a bit stumped !!

Hope to hear back from you soon
Rose
Whitaker- Halifax
Nixon- London

Offline nathandl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 July 05 20:52 BST (UK) »
Well let's see ... so we know for sure that the information I have on Andrew the oldest son is accurate.  The strange part is ... I have information on 13 kids from Andrew and Georgina ... which might have happened after 1881.  Unfortunately all I have to go on is a Dalziel Family book put together rather elementary.

What see what I can find from my closest ties to Scotland ... My gg grandfather David Pettigrew Dalziel b. 20-May-1870 Wigtownshire.  (Son of Robert and Helen Pettigrew Dalziel)  Came to America in 1892. 

Now his Father Robert lived in the Whithorn area .... married Helen in 1863 ... had 8 children Elizabeth (1864), Helen (1866), Mary (1866), Samuel (1868?), David (1870), Robert (1872), Jane (?), Ellen (?) ... but again no birthdate or date of death... all i have is that Robert is the 4th of 5 children from Alexander and Janet ... maybe ....  :)

Offline nathandl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 July 05 20:56 BST (UK) »
the thing about the census info ... is there was no Agnes ... and the 1881 census of Andrew and Georgina had 13 kids ... but again no dates so i'm sure they had the rest after 1881 ... all the children are pretty young so that's that... still I'm trying to find the ties to Ireland ... because I wish to know which part of Scotland my name originated from.  and when the Dalziel's left Scotland for Ireland... it's a long journey ... too bad my family hasn't gone a little further with this ... oh, well it's fun!

Nathan Dean Dalziel

Offline woodydog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 July 05 07:23 BST (UK) »
Ok- now we're getting somewhere....
1881 census- living at Morrach cot house No.3, Whithorn
Robert Dalziel -head-39-farm serv- B. Whithorn
Ellen Dalziel-wife-41-b. Inch parish, Wigtownshire
Mary- dau-15-working stockings & C?- b. Glasserton
Ellen-dau-15-farm serv-b. Glasserton
David-son-11-scholar-b.Whithorn
Robert-son-scholar-b.whithorn
Jane-dau-6-b.whithorn
Samuel-4-born Whithorn
Andrew-2-b.whithorn

As you can see both Helens are transcribed as Ellens & interestingly we seem to have gained a Samuel- maybe Samuel (in the 1851 census) was a brother of Alexander or maybe your Alexanders name was Alexander Samuel or even Samuel Alexander and the family flipped the names around- I know one of my family members did!!!

I'll have a look at the 1851 census again now I'm armed with some better information everything might become clear- she says hopefully!

Bye for now
Rose
Whitaker- Halifax
Nixon- London

Offline woodydog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 July 05 08:49 BST (UK) »
OK- in 1851 there are 3 Dalziel families listed in the Glasserton/Whithorn area and are as follows:-

Living at Claymoddie, Glasserton
Samuel Dalziel- head-36-labourer farm (yearly)-born Ireland
Elizabeth Dalziel-wife-31-b. whithorn
Robert-son-8-b.whithorn
Andrew-son-7=b.whithorn
Alexander-son-5-b.whithorn
Agnes-dau-1-b. Glasserton

I think this is your family even if the parents names are wrong

Living at Ravenstone Moor, Glasserton
Alexander dalziel-head-widower-65-Blacksmith b. Wigtown, Wigtownshire
William Dalziel-son-28-b. Kirkinner, Wigtownshire - no occ listed

Could this be Samuels father & this is where the Alexander & Janet link comes from? He may have been working in Ireland when he met Janet??? but was born in Wigtownshire.

Living at Larroch,Glasserton
David Dalziel-head-umarried-28-farmer of 138 acres employing 3 men- b. Glasserton
Mary Dalziel-mother-widow-64-born Ireland

There are no Alexander or Janet Dalziel listed as born in Ireland and no other Alexanders who fit the dates we have for the childrens births.

From the Freepress there is an entry for a marriage
Dalziel- Helen- m. 27/11/1891 at Whithorn on the 27 ult byt Rev. D.Henry. Second daughter of Robert Dalziel late of Newmilns.
Married to george Mann, Barnultuch, Stranraer

1855 death records show-
William Alexander Dalziel 34 years .Blacksmith 34 years. b. Cairnfield, Kirkinner lived in Glasserton for 17 years. Parents Alexander Dalziel (blacksmith) & Margaret McClumpha deceased. Married Agnes Moore- children Margaret,3,John,1,.

Died on Feb 23 at 5.40am at Ravenston, Glasserton of pleuritus with suspected complication of liver & kidney disease 7-10 weeks-cetified by Dunbar White M.D.- last saw the deceased on Feb 222- Buried in Wigtown burial ground. Signed Agnes Dalziel,widow- registered on Feb 24 at Glasserton, James Gilford registrar.

That's it for now- let me know your thoughts

Rose
Whitaker- Halifax
Nixon- London

Offline woodydog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 31 July 05 11:53 BST (UK) »
I've been on the scotlands people website & here's what I've found-

David Carr Dalziel born 20 May 1870 0545 at Marrach- male
Father - Robert Dalziel- farm servant
Mother- Helen Carr Dalziel- maiden surname Pettigrew

Parents married June 2nd 1863
Birth registered- June 4th 1870 at Whithorn

Marriage of Robert & Helen
June 2nd 1863 at Whithorn after banns according to the forms of the United Presbytarian Church

Robert Dalzell(!) -26-occ-lamesmith(??) - farm servant- batchelor . Usual residence- Cults parish of ? (possibly Sorbie!!- father Samuel Dalzell- farm labourer Mother Elizabeth Dalzell -maiden surname Richardson
Married to- Helen Kerr Pettigrew- 22- domestic servant-spinster- usual residence- whithorn. Father Hugh Pettigrew- farm labourer & mother Elizabeth Pettigrew- maiden surname Connagh- deceased

Minister-James Fleming
Witnesses- James Smith & John McMillan

Samuel Dalziel- death 1879
farm labourer- married to Elizabeth Richardson.
Died July 13 1879- 0345hrs - Isle of Whithorn aged 66 years

Fathers surname- Robert Dalziel- farm labourer (Deceased)
Mothers name - unknown
Cause of death - Valvular disease of heart resulting in dropsy- duration indefinite
Doctor- William Anderson
Registered by Andrew Dalziel-son- present at the time of death on the 14 July at Whithorn to Robert Anderson(registrar).

So it's as I thought - maybe the Alexander & Janet bit comes in from Samuels son Alexander or is far earlier information than you first thought.
I'm really pleased to have found them but sorry it doesn't follow your book exactly- I know that information on my ancestors from the family always have nuggets of truth but memories fade & can be inaccurate . Hope this is of help & all the best-Rose

Whitaker- Halifax
Nixon- London