Author Topic: john oxlade  (Read 4646 times)

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
Re: john oxlade
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 March 17 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure he was a shoemaker, there seems to be another John Oxlade born around the same date in London who was a book binder?

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 05:46 GMT (UK) »
According to my sources - chiefly the Oxlade family archive online - JO began working life as a bookbinder and only became a shoemaker after he left Portsea for London in c. 1820.

I confess that this has puzzled me too.  In fact, there are quite a few possible anomalies in his life history.  But they are, so to speak, another story.

roly
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I'm getting into this a bit late  :'(

John Oxlade and Sarah Sheldrick marry in 1794 - Aldgate - witness is William Oxlade

Baptisms - no mother's name given, nor occupation:

Frances Susannah - 1793 (baptised 1802) - Whitechapel - so born before they married
William Thomas - 1795 - Whitechapel

Richard - 1793 - Mitcham - possibly buried 1805  :-\
George - infant son of John - buried 1795
Sarah - 1796 - Mitcham
Elizabeth - 1798 - Mitcham

Henry - 1820 - Islington - John is a Shoemaker and married to Mary Ann
John Thomas - 1825 - Islington - John is a Book binder and married to Mary Ann
Sarah Elizabeth - 1828 - Islington - John is a Bookseller and married to Mary Ann

I can't readily see a Mary Ann in 1829.  I haven't attempted to look for him in Portsea.

My view is that you have more than one John Oxlade here. 

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Witness at the Sheldrick marriage is quite likely to have been John's father.
Most everything else could 'fit' although the two children born in Whitechapel are the two that I was doubtful about. 

My info. is, as I wrote before, that Richard was a cheesemonger...

Oxlade definitely married Mary Ann Terry in 1813 in Portsea and he definitely worked out of Portsea, producing broadside ballads.  He moved back to London from Portsea after a downturn in trade at the end of the Napoleonic wars.

The new stuff for me - many thanks - are the continued references to Mary Ann and the fact that Oxlade's his son Henry was a shoemaker (an element of confusion, perhaps, in my source of info.); and the, absolutely relevantly, that JO worked at his old trades as bookbinder and bookseller...His first qualification, incidentally, was as an attorney but he was imprisoned in 1798 for three years - he was involved with the London Corresponding Society and the times that were in it meant that such organisations were suspected of sedition.  JO later wrote an account of his imprisonment...

My initial thoughts were that after imprisonment he found it difficult to work again as an attorney; and the deaths of two children in the same year (1812) represented a final straw and may have precipitated his removal to Portsea.

There is a blank period between his release from prison in 1800 and 1813 - what was he up to?

Interestingly, so far, there appear to be no records of the deaths of either Sarah or Mary Ann (?).

roly

I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 07:45 GMT (UK) »
Oh, dear...Misreading.  John it was, as you write, who was the shoemaker.  This, all the same, confirms the direction in which the story is going.

Finsbury? Islington?  Both mentioned in respect of births...What's the geography?

Still the nag about Sarah's (Sheldrick's) death. 

roly

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 07:53 GMT (UK) »

Finsbury? Islington?  Both mentioned in respect of births...What's the geography?

Very close, try g*gle maps  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 09:24 GMT (UK) »
From a tree on Ancestry - with image

St Giles, Cripplegate - Ann, daughter of John Oxlade (Bookbinder) and Ann - born 18, baptised 21 December 1798

From the same tree:   John Oxlade

Born 1770
1789 - entered apprenticeship as a "Clerk to Thomas Lewis in the practice of an Attorney, Solicitor and agent for the term of 5 years."
1791 - joins a Masonry Lodge as an Attorney aged 21
1792 - Masonry Lodge as a Gentleman
1796 - Freedom of the Company of Stationers - by Patrimony
1798 - Gaoled as a member of the London Corresponding Society

Am I missing something here  :-\
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 13:50 GMT (UK) »
BumbleB...I don't think so. ' Your' Ann matches 'my' Ann as set out previously, born 1797, baptised 1798...But I'm not quite sure who your second Ann is.  'My' mother of 'my' Ann was Sarah...Make sense?

I have all the details of JO's life that you added.

Really, the only family details that I'm missing (still) are the dates of death of Sarah and Mary Ann; and then, outside the family, what JO was doing immediately after his imprisonment (released c. 1801)...and up until 1813.

This would complete a portrait of sorts.

Many thanks to all contributors so far.

roly

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 13:57 GMT (UK) »
See for yourself  ;)

Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY