Author Topic: Hollingsworth and Wheatley family links to Thundridge/ Standon/ Thundermarsh  (Read 953 times)

Offline alan.h

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I can locate family connections to this fairly small and specific area of the county for about 200 years (from the early 1600s to the early 1800s).

It is at both ends of this period that I'd love some help!

Because the land passed quite frequently on the female side, there is a helpful confirmation of marriage links which dip into London for a large part of that period.

In 1681 John Wheatley married Sarah Thorowgood in Standon (and a woman of that name had been born in Thundridge in 1651). The surnames Wheatley, Pitts, White, Winder and Hollingsworth then recur until a mention of Philip and Richard Hollingsworth - on a memorial from 1812 - of Thundridge Bury.

John Wheatley (1642-1731) was my 9x g grandfather and he married in 1667 (in London) and then again in 1670 (in Tewin). This second marriage was to Sarah White and there is a note from 1704 mentioning 'a piece of land at Thunder Marsh' passing to John's two daughters following the death of Hannah White (John's mother in law from that marriage in 1670). I'm totally confused as to how the marriage in 1681 fits into that! Did he marry for a third time? (And yet his son from 1684 traces his line back to the White family who'd founded St John's College, Oxford)

The land then passed logically through the 1700s in succeeding generations on the marriages of various daughters (Pitts, Winder and the Hollingsworth).

My 6x g grandfather was Thomas Hollingsworth (1738-1795). He was born in Ware, but again moved to London; and I have found a transfer from 1788 (which I'm assuming relates to this same land) mentioning a sale to David Barclay.

I don't know who the Philip or Richard Hollingsworth mentioned on the church memorial are, or how they relate to all this - but I feel that they must do somehow!

Any help or suggestions (especially relating to the Thorowgoods in the 1600s and then the much later Hollingsworth link in the early 1800s)would be welcome.

Harrington & Fidler (Berkshire) Mundy, Senneck & Toop/Tupp (Dorset) Peckham (Hampshire) Bayes (Lincolnshire) Boddy, Thompson, Rose, Nash & Franklin (Buckinghamshire) Allingham & Wilson (London) Brown, Woods & Atfield (Surrey) Edworthy, Ware & Haskings (Devon) Price & Thomas (Glamorgan) Davies, John & Williams (Pembrokeshire)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hollingsworth and Wheatley family links to Thundridge/ Standon/ Thundermarsh
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 March 17 10:45 GMT (UK) »
P Hollingsworth appears in the poll books and electoral registers as a freeholder in Thundridge in 1796, 1802 and 1805. in the latter two a Thomas Webb is listed as occupant (I believe, I'm not very familiar with the contents of the lists and there's no headings to help!).  P Hollingsworth is also listed in the second two as occupant where the freeholder is Gilbert Gardiner Esq.

R Hollingsworth is also in the 1802 and 1805 lists as a freeholder, with the occupant being Isabella Wrenn

Land tax redemptions for 1798 have similar information,  refering to Hollingsworth Esq and Richard Hollingworth

Hollingsworth Esq has
Land occupied by Thomas Webb - assessed as £20
John Grindall  - £1
Henry Warren - 16s
Land of Gilbert Gardiner occupied by  Hollingsworth Esq - £4 12s.   

Also Philp Hollingsworth occupies land of Gilbert Gardiner in Havens End - £1 [the previous item listed is owned by david Barclay]

Richard Hollingsworth  (note not Esq)
Land occupied by Mrs Wrenn - £4 16s
Westwood - 8s
Mrs Wrenn - 12s
Mrs Wrenn - 12s (separate entry)

Philip is also listed in a London directory of 1811, of 10 Queen Square and Thunder Hall, Herts

However, this doesn't really hep link to your family!

Offline alan.h

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hollingsworth and Wheatley family links to Thundridge/ Standon/ Thundermarsh
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 March 17 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. That adds to the detail and gives some other places to search!
Harrington & Fidler (Berkshire) Mundy, Senneck & Toop/Tupp (Dorset) Peckham (Hampshire) Bayes (Lincolnshire) Boddy, Thompson, Rose, Nash & Franklin (Buckinghamshire) Allingham & Wilson (London) Brown, Woods & Atfield (Surrey) Edworthy, Ware & Haskings (Devon) Price & Thomas (Glamorgan) Davies, John & Williams (Pembrokeshire)