Author Topic: Tale of 2 Harriets, or maybe only 1?  (Read 2942 times)

Offline FionaO

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tale of 2 Harriets, or maybe only 1?
« on: Saturday 11 March 17 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Here’s hoping someone can help me please.

I have one GRO birth:
Harriet SABEY, 1845 QJ, Huntingdon Union, Vol 14. Mother: FLOWERS

I have two census:
1851 Census*:  Clara H SABEY, dau of Thomas & Ann, aged  6 (1845), born Godmanchester
1861 Census*: Harriet SABEY, dau of Ann, Widow, aged 16 (1845), born Godmanchester
* Same family as other names and dates are consistent.  I also have censuses with George Edward  SMITH from 1871 to 1901, always Clara H or Clara Harriet, always b 1845 Godmanchester.

Then things get conflicting:
I have a couple of baptisms:
Clara Harriet SABY, bapt 25 Apr 1848 dau of Thomas & Ann, Godmanchester, item 6 page 77; DOB noted 23 Mar 1848
Harriet SABEY, bapt 19 Jan 1847 dau of Thomas & Ann, Godmanchester, item 6 page 69.

And then a couple of marriages:
Clara Harriet SABY marr George Edward SMITH, 1869 Godmanchester
Harriet SABEY marr George MILLS, 1873 St Neots Hunt’shire

Ideally I’d only like one of each – I can’t seem to find any images online to check and so was wondering if any Rootster can do a lookup or otherwise as abode and or occupation may help to tell whether there are 2 different peeps or whether the transcriptions were tricky.
Turner, Smith, Gibson, Harrison, Young, Boucher, Howells

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Tale of 2 Harriets, or maybe only 1?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 March 17 19:56 GMT (UK) »
And then a couple of marriages:
Clara Harriet SABY marr George Edward SMITH, 1869 Godmanchester
Harriet SABEY marr George MILLS, 1873 St Neots Hunt’shire

There is a Harriet Sabey who was born June quarter 1853   Bedford 3b   283, possibly that second marriage is her? There is only one way to find out for sure, that would be to get both certificates.

I wonder if for some reason, they added Clara to her name and had her re-baptised, even though they shouldn't? Again the only way would be to check the original parish records.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 March 17 19:59 GMT (UK) »
In the 1871 census there is a Harriet Sabey born 1853 working as a servant at Hardwick, Buckden, St Neots, Huntingdonshire. She was born Bedford. I think it is very likely, as I said in the last post. that she is the second marriage.

RG10  Piece number   1534  Folio   36  Page   17

From the 1861 census her parents were Boaz Sabey and Louisa Sabey.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 March 17 21:18 GMT (UK) »
The 1869 marriage lists Clara Harriet's age as 24, father Thomas (Freebmd)

Thomas Sabey married Ann Flowers in Godmanchester in 1827 (per Hunts Marriage Index). Thomas was from Bolnhurst and there's a VERY long thread at http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=665541.198 about them if it's this line that you're researching and you've got an afternoon to spare.

I have this family in my tree, although I didn't dig too deeply into the descendants of this branch. I also have the 1853 Harriet in my tree, daughter of Boaz Sabey and Louisa Lugsden, who were the subjects of a long thread at http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=438017.81 (but not as long as the Sabey Bolnhurst thread!)

There do seem to be some anomalies though. The Harriet whose birth is registered in the March quarter 1845 seems to disappear altogether after her baptism on 19 Jan 1847 (I'm assuming it's the same Harriet). The family seems to have registered the births of their children without delay, although they weren't so prompt baptising them, so it's odd that there's no registration for Clara Harriet in 1848. I wonder if there's either a transcription error or the parish register is wrong when it gives an 1848 birth date - perhaps she was rebaptised as Groom suggests  in 1848 but was born on 23 Mar 1845 rather than 23 Mar 1848. It's the best I can come up with! I think there's every chance that Harriet b 1845 and baptised 1847 and Clara Harriet baptised 1848 are the same person.

What's your Sabey interest Fiona?

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline FionaO

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 March 17 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your very helpful replies.  My interest is from my relative James Sabey SMITH born Biggleswade 1860.  I’m trying to link him up to James Sabey SMITH born Huntingdonshire 1870 son of Clara Harriet SABEY of this query.  I’ve made the connection for them both back to Jane SABEY and John TINGEY (which was an absolute delight) and now I’m hoping to possibly link them through SMITH also (only a slightly mad idea). 

So, she’s not yet a relative hence I don’t really want to spend the money, I have seen duplicate baptisms before and the family are very happy to adopt additional names so the Harriet/Clara Harriet switch is not a problem.  It is interesting, David, that you say they weren’t prompt with baptisms, can I assume you know this from your research?  If so that is very helpful.   And hello again, we’ve been in touch before and I think we’re GGGGGGGGreat Cousins, of some sort (it’s such a small world with quite a few SABEYs and oh so many SMITHs.)

Finally, where is the best place to view the original records covering Godmanchester/ Huntingdonshire?  I suspect that might help a lot going forwards.

It’s raining today so I'm off to read those two threads.

Thanks again to you both,

Fionaohthesmiths

Mission Creep - the epitome of family research

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 March 17 11:14 GMT (UK) »
The Harriett Sabey who was born 1853 Bedford reg district was the daughter of Boaz Sabey  and Louisa nee Lugden.  She was born in Keysoe and married George Mills.  In 1881 she has her brother Tom Sabey staying with her.

Offline FionaO

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 March 17 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rosie, for some reason I didn’t expand the age range enough when I was looking before so missed all the pointers to this other Harriet and then couldn’t find her in order to discount her.

Now I’m only left with 2 baptisms which don’t cause me as much consternation (I agree confusing 45 and 48 is very possible, though twice just sounds like double dunking.)

P.S. Those 2 threads are indeed very looooong.  Thankfully they print out quite easily and I can now peruse at leisure.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 March 17 13:42 GMT (UK) »
It is interesting, David, that you say they weren’t prompt with baptisms, can I assume you know this from your research?  If so that is very helpful.   And hello again, we’ve been in touch before and I think we’re GGGGGGGGreat Cousins, of some sort (it’s such a small world with quite a very SABEYs and oh so many SMITHs.)

Finally, where is the best place to view the original records covering Godmanchester/ Huntingdonshire?

Children of Thomas Sabey & Ann (Flowers) with late baptisms, Per BVRI:
Charlotte Ann born 5 Sep 1830, Baptised 18 Feb 1837
Sarah b 25 Mar 1836, Bap 18 Feb 1837
Francis b 29 Sep 1840, bap 14 Mar 1841
Harriet b Jun quarter 1845 bap 19 Jan 1847

Godmanchester parish register is in Huntingdon Archives

David

Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline FionaO

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 March 17 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks David, that's very helpful.  I've made a note to plan a trip to the Archives when the days are a bit longer as it's about 90 mins away but I'd love to know what the actual baptism entries show as LDS included the page/entry numbers!

P.S. I started on the smaller thread and am feeling slightly boggled by it all - so many names and dates!  The joy of family research ;)