Author Topic: FAMILYSEARCH.ORG problems with viewing images of Parish Registers  (Read 7685 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: FAMILYSEARCH.ORG problems with viewing images of Parish Registers
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 06 April 17 10:09 BST (UK) »
The East Sussex records are still available to view at home. They did disappear a few weekends ago, but came back.

I tried through the catalogue and the camera icons for Hastings and Brighton and got the FHC message.  Response from Familysearch last night was the access had been changed to reflect their contract with the RO.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 06 April 17 10:18 BST (UK) »
I've looked at some today. I'm not in the UK or USA.
Although it does come up with a box that says  'Viewable at a family history center", I found that if you sign in (with your own free account), the images will in fact load.
Quite odd - but I'm not complaining!  ;)

I've just tried Brighton again, got same message but logging in does provide access.  I wonder how long that will stay?!

Maybe it is how you are looking for the Derbyshire images. They may not be accessible via a catalogue place name search. I've tried clicking on a few camera icons and get the viewable at a FHC message.
But they seem to be OK from here
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jvi/

Thanks Jon, yes Derbyshire works through that link, just not through the catalogue.

I wonder whether this will stay the same or they'll change it again. :-\
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 06 April 17 10:24 BST (UK) »
Yes it sounds like we must try and make the most of them while we can, in case they do end up restricting access!
John

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 06 April 17 13:17 BST (UK) »
The East Sussex records are still available to view at home. They did disappear a few weekends ago, but came back.

I tried through the catalogue and the camera icons for Hastings and Brighton and got the FHC message.  Response from Familysearch last night was the access had been changed to reflect their contract with the RO.

Thank you for posting that, now I know it isn't me looking in the wrong place to access that part of Sussex.  I was trying to access them the other day and failing miserably.  :'(

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 06 April 17 14:27 BST (UK) »
So: What exactly have I to do to try to actually see some Derbyshire (Melbourne area) records ?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 06 April 17 14:31 BST (UK) »
Maybe it is how you are looking for the Derbyshire images. They may not be accessible via a catalogue place name search. I've tried clicking on a few camera icons and get the viewable at a FHC message.
But they seem to be OK from here
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jvi/

Follow jonw65's link

Please Sign In
These images are viewable:
When using the site at a family history center.
Sign In

Click Sign in
That takes you to where you sign in using your user name & password - complete that and click sign in.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 06 April 17 14:37 BST (UK) »
Ah, thanks.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 06 April 17 14:41 BST (UK) »
Hope it worked  ;D

Offline MikeAlamos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 06 April 17 14:50 BST (UK) »
To Rosie99: I have looked at the FamilySearch index for Derbyshire parishes and it seems as though there are no images yet available for Melbourne registers. Also, I am not sure that all of the PArish registers are indexed at this point. Here is a link to an online copy of Phillimore's marriage register for Melbourne if of any use. http://ukga.org/cgi-bin/browse.cgi?action=ViewRec&DB=8&bookID=18&page=85