Author Topic: Death of John Campbell  (Read 6161 times)

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
Re: Death of John Campbell
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Clancam37,
I've not read back through all the posts concerning this chap but I have had a look at a number of trees on Ancestry concerning this family and they all appear rather evidence light. One tree purports to have the marriage certificate of John Campbell and Mary Ann Louise Usher but in fact it it a note of the banns. Clancam37 - do you have a copy of the marriage certificate and if so what is the groom's father's name and occupation? Also, (not sure if this tallies with what you have but it does feature in a number of the aforementioned trees) a Mary and Elizabeth Campbell travelled to Australia 1878 but they left from Gravesend in Kent - seems a bit unusual to claim this was John's wife and daughter given they lived in Liverpool where there were regular sailings to Australia.
Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Jen

The passenger immediately before Mary Campbell on the ships list was Tryphena Usher the mother of Mary Campbell.  Also on the ships list is son John, though unusually not shown directly with his mother.

There is a record of the marriage for John Campbell and Mary Usher on England Select Marriages and Johns father is shown as Duncan (no occupation given).

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Ray,
I thought John Duncan Campbell went out age 11, onboard the Remington out of Liverpool in 1876?
https://www.british-genealogy.com/threads/65101-shipwreck-Barbuda?p=446164
Missed the mother in law - can't be too many Tryphenas about!
Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Jen

Missed that, I had just assumed (note to self never assume) that an 11 year old would not be travelling alone.  Just tried to find the crew list for the Remington to see if his father was on crew - not the master that was a Robert Monro.  Not found crew list as yet.

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 16 March 17 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Jen

Missed that, I had just assumed (note to self never assume) that an 11 year old would not be travelling alone.  Just tried to find the crew list for the Remington to see if his father was on crew - not the master that was a Robert Monro.  Not found crew list as yet.

Ray

The  1876 Crew Agreements of the Liverpool registered ship REMINGTON, official number 45910 are available from here.
https://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/viewcombinedcrews.php?Official_No=45910
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 16 March 17 14:50 GMT (UK) »
What a great source Seaweed.  Certainly something I shall archive for future use.  Perhaps Clancam may wish to follow this up.

Ray

Offline clancam37

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 16 March 17 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen,  Thank you for your reply.
Your comment re Gravesend departure for Australia --- Yes it seemed unusual they did not leave from Liverpool.  It was the correct family as Mary Ann Louisa , John's Wife was accompanied by her daughter Elizabeth Baxter Campbell and Mary's Mother Tryphena Usher.  Gravesend seemed a little far to travel from Liverpool.  My English geography is limited, learning by Michael Portillo's train journeys.
John Campbell's Father was Duncan Campbell born Dysart, Fife about 1795, occupation: Stonemason.  His Mother Elizabeth Baxter born 1800 Meigle, Perthshire.
Thanks again to you and all the other wonderful RootsChat people.
Kind Regards
clancam37
Hi Clancam37,
I've not read back through all the posts concerning this chap but I have had a look at a number of trees on Ancestry concerning this family and they all appear rather evidence light. One tree purports to have the marriage certificate of John Campbell and Mary Ann Louise Usher but in fact it it a note of the banns. Clancam37 - do you have a copy of the marriage certificate and if so what is the groom's father's name and occupation? Also, (not sure if this tallies with what you have but it does feature in a number of the aforementioned trees) a Mary and Elizabeth Campbell travelled to Australia 1878 but they left from Gravesend in Kent - seems a bit unusual to claim this was John's wife and daughter given they lived in Liverpool where there were regular sailings to Australia.
Jen

Offline clancam37

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 16 March 17 23:02 GMT (UK) »
HI Jen,  I thought my Grandfather, John Duncan Campbell then aged 11 went on the "Remington".  He died in Sydney 1910, all other family members including Mary and her Mother Tryphena died in Victoria.
Would evry much like to find palce and date of death of GreatGrandFather John.
Regards
clancam37
Ray,
I thought John Duncan Campbell went out age 11, onboard the Remington out of Liverpool in 1876?
https://www.british-genealogy.com/threads/65101-shipwreck-Barbuda?p=446164
Missed the mother in law - can't be too many Tryphenas about!
Jen

Offline clancam37

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 16 March 17 23:04 GMT (UK) »
HI RayDen,
Thanks.  Yes I believe my GrandFather John Duncan Campbell came to Australia on the "Remington".  Cannot find a relationship Capt. Robert Munro to my GGF.
Kind regards
clancam37
Jen

Ray