Author Topic: I am trying to locate my grandmother's birth certificate Alice Edwards  (Read 8037 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: I am trying to locate my grandmother's birth certificate Alice Edwards
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 21:29 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure about the accuracy of that Ancestry tree (what a surprise  ;D ) as they have a link to an Alice Amelia Edwards in the Gloucester Electoral registers for 1920. As she'd only be 15 then it can't possibly be the right one!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat  :)

Certificates you will not 'find' online as they are civil records which you need to purchase, you will find indexes and using those details you can buy one.

I can see several Alice's, several Amelia's but no Alice Amelia's registered 1905/1906 however I suggest you check yourself http://www.freebmd.org.uk  if you know when her birthday was then registrations took place 4 times a yr, so if she was born in the 1st 3 months of the yr it could be in that quarter or the 2nd quarter.

1939 census? I assume you mean the 1939 Register as the last census you can see is 1911, which you should find her on hopefully along with her parents/siblings
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 21:36 GMT (UK) »
The one born in Bath in 1903 was in Birkenhead Chesire in 1
The only birth around 1905 for an Alice Amelia Edwards was in Bath in 1903 (March quarter), mother's maiden name was Mason.

Added, possible marriage for the birth.... Alice Mason to Henry James Edwards, Bath, Dec quarter 1901.

This family was in Birkenhead, Cheshire in 1911, brother Henry Thomas born in 1906.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 21:40 GMT (UK) »
No Alice Amelia Edwards on Freebmd between 1904 - 1907.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Alice Williams with Jonathan Williams in Cardiff in 1939, with DOB shown as 1906

Moderator comment: 1939 register details removed as this dataset is exclusive to FindMyPast by subscription, you may only post information from a free search
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 21:47 GMT (UK) »
How about this - perhaps she changed her name around and used a middle name as her first name, not unusual, my grandmother did that.

Births Jun 1905 
Edwards    Amelia       
Neath    11a   1028

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Alice Williams with Jonathan Williams in Cardiff in 1939, with DOB shown as 1906

Moderator comment: 1939 register details removed as this dataset is exclusive to FindMyPast by subscription, you may only post information from a free search

....which ties in with the Alice Sali Davids death (19 Mar 1905) found by [Ray] earlier.

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Possible death -

Alice Sali Davids
Birth Date - 19 Mar 1905
Date of Registration - Dec 1970
Registration district - Cardiff
Inferred County - Glamorganshire
Vol 8b Page 1263

As Groom has already said perhaps Alice added the name Amelia and then the name Sali  ???

JJ

Added - Have just noticed death already posted !

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Where has the Amelia come from, is that the marriage certificates? We really need her father's name from the marriage certificates as that will help us to find her parents' marriage and her birth from the GRO records.