Author Topic: More of Palfrey Rowlands  (Read 1232 times)

Offline malijibic

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
More of Palfrey Rowlands
« on: Tuesday 14 March 17 21:00 GMT (UK) »

follow on from
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=765757.0
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=766921.msg6190397#msg6190397
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=765525.0
Trying to find the death of Thomas or Mary I came across the baptism and burial of Mary Rowlands,
illegitimate daughter of Palfrey Rowlands, butcher of Llwynmawr in 1791 at Llansanffraid Glyn Ceiriog.  My ggggrandfther was a butcher, at Caernarvon.
Also at Llansanffraid Glyn Ceiriog  Mary 1776, daughterof Thomas Rowlands of Llwynmawr, shopkeeper by Mary his wife.
There is an Elizabeth there as well
I would like to think that the Thomas and Mary of Havodgynfawr and of Llwynmawr are the same but my knowledge of the geography of Denbighshire is lacking.
I would appreciate it if anyone with more local knowlede oud give an opinion.
Mawr ddiolch
I have have a feeling that

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: More of Palfrey Rowlands
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 21:04 GMT (UK) »

I'm sure in one of the threads, I found a marriage/baptism in one of the Glyn traean parishes  of Llangollen parish - which included `Llwynmawr - it's on the Glynceiriog side of Pontfadog.

I'll check back.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 21:12 GMT (UK) »

Havodgynfawr or Cilcychwyn I think - definitely in the Glyn Traean part of the parish:

The parish is cut into the divisions of LlangollenTraian and Glyn-Traian. The L. T. div. comprises the townships of Llangollen-Abbots, Llangollen-Fawr, Llangollan-Fechan, Bache, Cysyllte, Dinbren, EglynysEagle, Pengwern, Rhysgog, Trevor-Issa, Trevor-Ucha, and Vivod; and the G. T. div. comprises those of Cilcochwin, Crogen-Iddon, Croggen-w-Ladies, Erwallo, Havodgynfawr, Nantygwryd, and Talygarth. Acres, 20,176. Real property, £19,876; of which £2041 are in quarries, £285 in railways, and £50 in gas-works. Pop. in 1851,5,260; in 1861,5,799. Houses, 1,296. The property is subdivided. Sychnaint, or Sycharth, is said to have been the seat of Owen Glendower. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. Asaph. Valne, £350. * Patron, the Bishop of St. Asaph. The p. curacies of Pontfadog and Trevor are separate benefices.

http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/descriptions/733570

Sometimes spelled Traian and others Traean!
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline malijibic

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 21:19 GMT (UK) »
What confuses me is the Havodgynfawr bapt are in the parish of Llangollen and the Llwynmawr one ar in Llansantfraid Glyn Ceiriog.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 21:22 GMT (UK) »
As far as I can remember, Llwynmawr is in the Hafodgynfor/fawr part of the  Glyn Traian. I had school friends from there and there was a pub called The Golden Phaesant that family used to go to occasionally. We children sat in the little sun porch and drank vimto  :-\

Read up about Llangollen parish - it's vast - see in my link and on Genuki

I come from that area and know it well!

I did link to the description but you probalby missed it

http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/descriptions/733570

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Genuki ~

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/DEN/Llangollen

The ancient parish of Llangollen was divided into three parts : Llangollen Traean, Trefor Traean, and Glyn Traean.
Llangollen Traean contained the townships of Bachau, Cysylltau, Llangollen Abad, Llangollen Fawr, Llangollen Fechan, Feifod, Pengwern and Rhisgog.
Trefor Traean contained the townships of Cilmediw, Dinbren, Eglwysegl, Trefor Isaf and Trefor Uchaf.
Glyn Traean contained the townships of Cilcochwyn, Crogeniddon, Crogenwladus, Erwallo, Hafodgynfor, Nantygwryd, Pennant and Talygarth.
On 15 April 1848, the whole of Glyn Traean, together with the township of Cysylltau from Llangollen Traean, went to form the new parish of Pontfadog. Cysylltau returned to Llangollen in 1870.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 21:33 GMT (UK) »
My  Llansantffraid Glynceiriog parish records booklet, from Clwyd FHS states:

'It was originally a chapel to Llangollen'

I had a map once that gave the boundaries but it's missing!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Your Palrey Rowland refs are in the Glynceiriog records but I think they would have used the nearest chapelry/minister. Llwynmawr is on the boundariy of the townships.

PS - the maps that accompany the St Asaph Notitiae on the Nat Library site might have the boundaries.

Offline malijibic

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very,very much for your help,
Diolch yn fawr iawn