Author Topic: Charles Small born c1857. Angus - Rescobie or Coupar Angus.  (Read 10701 times)

Offline Fever

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Small born c1857. Angus - Rescobie or Coupar Angus.
« Reply #81 on: Sunday 07 April 19 22:56 BST (UK) »
Daniel MacKenzie and Helen Valentine Ewen MacKenzie are my husbands Great Grandparents. Their son Robert immigrated to Canada and afterwards Charles MacKenzie. Charles then enlisted with the Canadian forces in WWI but died in training at Shorncliffe and is buried there in the military cemetery.

We did not know he had married or had any family. 

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Sunday 07 April 19 23:14 BST (UK) »
Daniel MacKenzie and Helen Valentine Ewen MacKenzie are my husbands Great Grandparents. Their son Robert immigrated to Canada and afterwards Charles MacKenzie. Charles then enlisted with the Canadian forces in WWI but died in training at Shorncliffe and is buried there in the military cemetery.

We did not know he had married or had any family.

Hi Fever. Thanks for the response.

Charles McKenzie aka Small never actually married. From the information that I have, he only had one illegitimate child (my grandfather) with Mary Jane Evans Stewart. She latterly married a Norman Campbell in Glasgow. My grandfather was raised by Mary Jane's parents. From what I can gather, Charles Senior never had much interaction with his only child. I carry the McKenzie name myself, however my family spell it Mc rather than Mac, but this was due to the way the name was documented previously.
Lovely to hear from more M(a)ckenzies.

mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Fever

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Monday 08 April 19 00:26 BST (UK) »
In checking the birth date of Charles Small MacKenzie I believe he was born in 1883 and his brother Robert in 1884. The father of Robert, step father of Charles was married before had 8 children with his first wife (Mary Callander) and then 5 including 'Charles Small' the eldest with Helen Valentine Ewen.

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Sunday 07 July 19 21:02 BST (UK) »
In checking the birth date of Charles Small MacKenzie I believe he was born in 1883 and his brother Robert in 1884. The father of Robert, step father of Charles was married before had 8 children with his first wife (Mary Callander) and then 5 including 'Charles Small' the eldest with Helen Valentine Ewen.

Hi Fever, apologies I had totally forgotten to reply to this.

Charles Small aka M(a)ckenzie was born 18th May 1882 at 25 Glamis Road, Forfar. Unusually there are two parental signatures on his birth cert. His mother Helen Ewen and his father Charles Small also signed. Charles Small Snr was resident of Sandyford, Kirriemuir at the time according to this birth cert.

Charles Small/McKenzie emigrated to Canada in May 1911 and joined the Canadian Infantry in WW1. He died in 1917 at Elham (Folkestone), Kent, England. I don't know if he saw much combat, from what I can tell he died at an army hospital there from an illness.

I think I am missing a child between Helen V. Ewen and Daniel/Donald McKenzie as I only have;

Robert b. 1883
Christina b. 1886
James b. 1888

Also missing a child between Mary Callender and Daniel/Donald
For them I have; Jane, John, Agnes Low, David, William, Mary and Charles.

Many thanks for this info. Feel free to contact me via PM if you'd like to chat more.

GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Sunday 07 July 19 23:09 BST (UK) »
Unusually there are two parental signatures on his birth cert. His mother Helen Ewen and his father Charles Small also signed.
That is standard practice when a child is illegitimate and the father wishes to acknowledge it as his.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Sunday 07 July 19 23:22 BST (UK) »
Unusually there are two parental signatures on his birth cert. His mother Helen Ewen and his father Charles Small also signed.
That is standard practice when a child is illegitimate and the father wishes to acknowledge it as his.

Thank you Forfarian. There a few illegitimate births in my tree from various branches and I believe this is the only one where the father acknowledges the birth in my ancestry. 
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Sunday 20 December 20 18:48 GMT (UK) »
This is an old thread of mine, but it turned out to be a major turning point in my research. I would probably have still had this brick wall today if I hadn't posted here.

I'm really just wanting to show my appreciation for the work everyone did in helping me start my genealogy journey. I learned so much from this thread, and have carried forward skills required.

The discovery has led me to contacting
(and in one case, meeting a couple in 2019) other descendents of the Small family.

So, thank you everyone here!
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie